2009 PE Exam Study Materials?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06dustin

Reaction score
Hey I'm just beginning to prepare for a 2009 PE Power Exam (relax... not the April one the October one), and I'm looking for some good study materials.

So far, I figure I should buy the NCEES "Power Sample Questions and Solutions". Has anyone had any experience with:

Camara's problem book:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Engineeri...5892&sr=8-1

Camara's test book:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Engineeri...6010&sr=8-3

any of the Kaplan stuff?

http://www.kaplanaecengineering.com/kaplan...oduct_list.aspx

Also, what are your thoughts on the Camara or Kaplan reference books? Has anyone used these and have something to share?

Thanks!

I think Kaplan stinks, the only book I liked was the Kaplan EE Referenced review.

Also...

Fundamentals of EE (By Bobrow) - Goes into the "depth" of the AM stuff that EERM does not, so it complements it perfectly. More than you'll care to know.

NCEES Electrical and Computer Study Guide

Schaum's Basic EE (or similar Schaums, there's 3 or 4)

Power Systems Analysis (Grainger)

Electric Machines, Drives and Power Systems (Wildi)

Schaum's Electric Power Systems & Schaum's Electric Machinery

NEC Code for Code questions.

"Public Lighting" & "IESNA Illumination Handbook" for lighting questions(there aren't too many).

I also used the MGI SmartPros EE PE Readiness. I'm not sure if they still sell it, but its pricey.

The IEEE PE Review DVDs are great, but also pricey. Stay away from the Dr. Blank videos, they're not good. Buy one and you'll see.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thanks tech junkie.

FYI the Kaplan books don't look like they've been updated for the '09 rendition of the exam (power specific) so they've definitely been ruled out.

Dustin

I think Kaplan stinks, the only book I liked was the Kaplan EE Referenced review.
Also...

Fundamentals of EE (By Bobrow) - Goes into the "depth" of the AM stuff that EERM does not, so it complements it perfectly. More than you'll care to know.

NCEES Electrical and Computer Study Guide

Schaum's Basic EE (or similar Schaums, there's 3 or 4)

Power Systems Analysis (Grainger)

Electric Machines, Drives and Power Systems (Wildi)

Schaum's Electric Power Systems & Schaum's Electric Machinery

NEC Code for Code questions.

"Public Lighting" & "IESNA Illumination Handbook" for lighting questions(there aren't too many).

I also used the MGI SmartPros EE PE Readiness. I'm not sure if they still sell it, but its pricey.

The IEEE PE Review DVDs are great, but also pricey. Stay away from the Dr. Blank videos, they're not good. Buy one and you'll see.

Good luck!

I passed the PE Power exam in April 08. Other than the IEEE PE review DVDs and Dr. Blank stuff (didn't use) I agree with everything Tech Junkie has listed. Great study material.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Camara or Kaplan reference books? Has anyone used these and have something to share?
Thanks!
Tried the Camara sample exam and the Kaplan reference, thought both were a waste of time and money.

For me, Stephen J. Chapman's machines and power distribution textbook was an excellent reference, as was my own bound notes. The NCEES Sample Exam was far and away the best source of practice problems, followed by Schaums and a few textbooks. I am happy to report that I did not need to purchase the sample exam for the new format :)

Oh, and being able to find the information I needed quickly was the key for me during the actual exam.

Good luck, my friend.

can't agree more, NCEES Sample Exam is the Electrical PE "Bible"!!!

I suggest everyone do it at least 3 times and try to understand every question in it.

Stephen J. Chapman's book is also great, easy to understand, sample problems are straightforward. it's written by a real Engineer, not those PHDs (Permanently Head Damaged), no offense here, PHD stuff is just too difficult for an average brain to understand.

For me, Stephen J. Chapman's machines and power distribution textbook was an excellent reference, as was my own bound notes. The NCEES Sample Exam was far and away the best source of practice problems, followed by Schaums and a few textbooks. I am happy to report that I did not need to purchase the sample exam for the new format :)
Oh, and being able to find the information I needed quickly was the key for me during the actual exam.

Good luck, my friend.

can't agree more, NCEES Sample Exam is the Electrical PE "Bible"!!! I suggest everyone do it at least 3 times and try to understand every question in it.

Stephen J. Chapman's book is also great, easy to understand, sample problems are straightforward. it's written by a real Engineer, not those PHDs (Permanently Head Damaged), no offense here, PHD stuff is just too difficult for an average brain to understand.

Hi, I new here but could you be more specific on the Stephen J. Chapman's book. something i can google or go to amazon to buy. thanks.

I would also recommend:

IEEE Std 141-1993 (The Red Book - Power Distribution)

IEEE Std 242-2001 (The Buff Book - Protection and Coordination)

IEEE Std 399-1997 (The Brown Book - Power Systems Analysis)

I didn't bring them and I regret it.

Power Systems Analysis (Grainger) and Electric Machines, Drives and Power Systems (Wildi) are a MUST!

Hey I'm just beginning to prepare for a 2009 PE Power Exam (relax... not the April one the October one), and I'm looking for some good study materials.
So far, I figure I should buy the NCEES "Power Sample Questions and Solutions". Has anyone had any experience with:

Camara's problem book:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Engineeri...5892&sr=8-1

Camara's test book:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Engineeri...6010&sr=8-3

any of the Kaplan stuff?

http://www.kaplanaecengineering.com/kaplan...oduct_list.aspx

Thanks!

I would also recommend:IEEE Std 141-1993 (The Red Book - Power Distribution)

IEEE Std 242-2001 (The Buff Book - Protection and Coordination)

IEEE Std 399-1997 (The Brown Book - Power Systems Analysis)

I didn't bring them and I regret it.

Power Systems Analysis (Grainger) and Electric Machines, Drives and Power Systems (Wildi) are a MUST!
Anyone want to sell any books they dont need anymore? Taking the exam in October...

Anyone want to sell any books they dont need anymore? Taking the exam in October...
Power Systems Analysis – Grainger Stevenson - $30

NCEES Electrical PE Sample questions and solutions - $30

Practice problems for the Electrical Engineering Exam – 6th Ed. – Camara - $20

Schuam’s – Electric Power Systems - $10

Modern Industrial Electronics – 3rd Ed. – Maloney - $60

Electric Circuits – 4th Ed. Nillson - $60

Alternating Current Fundamentals – Duff/Kaufman - $15

American Electrician’s Handbook – 11th Edition – Croft/Summers - $60

all prices include shipping

email me if interested at [email protected]

Hi guys,

Does anyone know, besides the NCEES PE Power sample questions, what other study material is great with many sample questions for the new power format? I see alot of books being recommended buy not that much sample question materials. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Please provide link if possible.

Does anyone know, besides the NCEES PE Power sample questions, what other study material is great with many sample questions for the new power format? I see alot of books being recommended buy not that much sample question materials.
That was my biggest complaint preparing for the exam under the older format; I bet I worked the problems in the NCEES book at least a dozen times. I found a few problems in textbooks that were actually prep for the FE, as well as a few decent problems in one or two Schaums Outlines.

Looking back, I think one of the most important things for me was having the "right" number and types of references and being familiar enough with them to be able to find the info I needed quickly. Another was knowing the calculator I was using well (the one I use at work daily was not allowed).

Good luck. Will this be your first crack at the PE?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it is. just trying to get all the materials i need, but i learn best doing problems. reading doesn't stick to my head, buy doing does. thanks for the advice anyways.

Handbook of Electric Power Calculations by H. Wayne Beaty helped me pass the new Electrical Power exam. It has good problems on Symmetrical Components, CT selection, Lighting, Short Circuit computation, etc.

I also recommend finding a good resource on Variable Speed Drives, rectifiers, and inverters. I had info from a seminar I attended once.

What about the NESC (National Electric Safety Code)? Would those of you who took the new format EE Power PE say it's a necessary book to study/bring into the exam?

Handbook of Electric Power Calculations by H. Wayne Beaty helped me pass the new Electrical Power exam. It has good problems on Symmetrical Components, CT selection, Lighting, Short Circuit computation, etc.
I also recommend finding a good resource on Variable Speed Drives, rectifiers, and inverters. I had info from a seminar I attended once.
Dustin et al, I found these references to be useful on variable speed drives, rectifiers and inverters:

:reading:

Practical Variable Speed Drives and Electronics by Malcomb Barnes

Electrical Variable Speed Drives by Michael Brumback

Best of Luck! :)

What about the NESC (National Electric Safety Code)? Would those of you who took the new format EE Power PE say it's a necessary book to study/bring into the exam?
I took my NESC book with me for the April 2009 Power exam, but did not have a need for it. Since it is in the Specs, I would go ahead and take it with me anyway if I were you.

Back