Harsh Punishment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if they had the calculators "hidden" and then pulled them out during the test?

We had the proctors check everyones before the test and if they found one that wasnt on the list they just took them during the test. The guy across from me had brought a 2.99 calculator (as a backup) that would only do addition, subtraction,multiplication, etc, they just took it from him, but it was before the test actually started.

I guess you gotta follow them rules..

A friend of mine took the exam in cleveland last october. he said these two people went ballistic and were cussing and swearing at everyone in site. They were supposed to come back at lunch and get their stuff out of the exam room and one of them started pounding on the door 15 minutes before the morning session was over.

Apparantly the girl was cussing out one of the state board members, so it's surprising they only got 5 years.

I'm not sure I want people in my profession that can't follow simple directions!

yes that kind of behavior is not called for, waiting another 6 months is much better than waiting 5 years.

I'm sure there is two sides to the story, BUT the bottom line is:

You must remain professional at all times, even if you're justified in the rant, you can't do it.

when i read that article, it seemed to be WAY too harsh to basically stunt their careers for 5 years. but if they really went nuts like that, then i guess it makes sense. i took this past exam in cleveland and the only thing that happened was the proctor asking the room if anyone had an extra calculator for some guy. i wonder what they're going to do now. maybe take the exam in another state?

I would be curious if they are "blackballed" from only that state or if ncees can track them to keep them from taking the exam in another state?

At least now they've got plenty of study time
lmao.gif

Not sure why you would even wanna break the rules. The guy beside me was using an 18" ruler which is against the rules but they never said anything! :dunno:

they should have made him break off a third of his ruler:) i figure as long as it was a clear ruler, they shouldn't have anything to worry about.

you couldnt bring a ruler?

I had a 6" cheapo ruler I was mainly using as a bookmark in my cerm.

Yeah, you could bring a ruler but the max length is 6". I called ELSES before the exam and that is what they told be.

I'm pissed....his was longer than mine, but mine always gets the job done! :cig:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a funny look from a proctor when i circled something in one of my books, she came over and looked and reminded me not to write in my books...It was just habit...

i had to use a chart in the cerm for one of the transportation questions. it was really simple and i was going to use my ruler to draw a couple lines in my book, but then i realized i couldn't do that so i had to spend extra time trying to use my stubby fingers to keep my place while wishing they let us bring triangles.

I got a funny look from a proctor when i circled something in one of my books, she came over and looked and reminded me not to write in my books...It was just habit...
I had to catch myself from doing that a couple of times when I needed to pick values off of a graph. Like where you know the X value, move up the graph until the you hit the line, then move across to the y-axis to pick off a value.

Back