How to Kill Cars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would expect them to do something to disable the vehicle since the point is to get them off the street, not just resell them at the dealer. What is done with them after being disabled? Up to the dealer to recycle them or more federal $$ available to pay for the scrapping?

Oh it's logically consistent, I'm not denying that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect them to do something to disable the vehicle since the point is to get them off the street, not just resell them at the dealer. What is done with them after being disabled? Up to the dealer to recycle them or more federal $$ available to pay for the scrapping?
From http://www.cars.gov/faq

What happens to the vehicle I trade in?

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

This is actually a very cost-effective way to reduce pollutants. I'm eager to give it a whirl and evaluate how effective it is.

^ How is spending $4500 in taxpayer money to send a $500.00 car to the scrap heap cost effective? The majority of cars coming off the streets through this program may need repairs just to get them to run long enough to properly "kill" the engine. The rest probably travel so few miles due to their condition that their absence will not measurably reduce emissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ How is spending $4500 in taxpayer money to send a $500.00 car to the scrap heap cost effective? The majority of cars coming off the streets through this program may need repairs just to get them to run long enough to properly "kill" the engine. The rest probably travel so few miles due to their condition that their absence will not measurably reduce emissions.
not all of them are going to truely be clunkers. The inlaws are seriously looking into trading in their 10 yr old minivan which runs just fine and is in near new condition, just gets bad gas mileage, under this program so they can get a more fuel effiecent mini van.

I've got an idea, how about people trade in cars when they are no longer useful on their own accord.

I also wonder what the carbon footprint of scrapping a perfectly good car is when you are going to replace it with another car.

Back