So I failed the Const. Section! What were your scores?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giddy

Reaction score
Breadth Scores

Const 75

Geotech 50

Struct 75

Trans 75

Water 88

Afternoon Const.

Earthwork and layout 75

Estimating 86

Operations 33

Scheduling 86

Material quality Control 25

Temp Structs. 0 that hurt!

Workers Health 33

Other topics 50

I figure I got 50 out of 80 correct so my percentage was 62.5% This sucks! Oh well maybe next year. I am done with seismic and surveys.

Anyone recommend a good book for Temp structures Operations and Material Quality Control?

Breadth ScoresConst 75

Geotech 50

Struct 75

Trans 75

Water 88

Afternoon Const.

Earthwork and layout 75

Estimating 86

Operations 33

Scheduling 86

Workers Health 33

Other topics 50

I figure I got 50 out of 80 correct so my percentage was 62.5% This sucks! Oh well maybe next year. I am done with seismic and surveys.

Anyone recommend a good book for Temp structures Operations and Material Quality Control?
Ya thats brutal. I failed the same but alot worse. 50% in the morning and a lil worse in the afternoon.

Looking at the break down for the Construction PM. What is a 'typical' or 'classic' question type for operations and temp. structures?

Breadth ScoresConst 75

Geotech 50

Struct 75

Trans 75

Water 88

Afternoon Const.

Earthwork and layout 75

Estimating 86

Operations 33

Scheduling 86

Workers Health 33

Other topics 50

Dude did you have the OHSA manual?

Yeah I did have the OSHA but I didn't have some of the other references that they pulled questions out of. The really sucky part for me is I had a 100% in the workers safety section, 60% in Temp structures and 67% in operations last exam. Now I just need to decide if I want to sighn up for October.

Yeah I did have the OSHA but I didn't have some of the other references that they pulled questions out of. The really sucky part for me is I had a 100% in the workers safety section, 60% in Temp structures and 67% in operations last exam. Now I just need to decide if I want to sighn up for October.
I did not have all of the references either, such as the d#$^ reshoring manual. The operations problems are more experience based than reference based. An AISC Steel Manual and CERM are more than sufficient for these problems. References do not have to be expensive. Suppliers' sales reps have plenty of free reference manuals that they will give you so that you will consider specifying their materials. The CERM kind of addressed temporary structures but not to a level of detail that you will need. ACI has a good formwork manual, I would borrow that from someone. Again, a lot of the problems are experience based so I would encourage you to network with some contractors that you know and get them to help with some sample problems. I don't know what your state allows for reference materials, but what I did was I put all of my practice problems into a binder with my notes, which let me stroke at least a half dozen problems during the afternoon. Sign up for October, do not give up, you will want to celebrate new years as a brad new PE. Just keep posting and work through it, this is the right place to get help.

:construction:

I did not have all of the references either, such as the d#$^ reshoring manual. The operations problems are more experience based than reference based. An AISC Steel Manual and CERM are more than sufficient for these problems. References do not have to be expensive. Suppliers' sales reps have plenty of free reference manuals that they will give you so that you will consider specifying their materials. The CERM kind of addressed temporary structures but not to a level of detail that you will need. ACI has a good formwork manual, I would borrow that from someone. Again, a lot of the problems are experience based so I would encourage you to network with some contractors that you know and get them to help with some sample problems. I don't know what your state allows for reference materials, but what I did was I put all of my practice problems into a binder with my notes, which let me stroke at least a half dozen problems during the afternoon. Sign up for October, do not give up, you will want to celebrate new years as a brad new PE. Just keep posting and work through it, this is the right place to get help.
:construction:

what type of operation problem related to? equpment operation ?

Handbook of Temporary Structures in Construction by Robert Ratay (Hardcover - May 1, 1996)

Buy new: $131.00 $88.42 at Amazon

I scored about the same 30 right in the AM but bombed the PM.

I can't figure out how I can get 7 construction question right in the AM and not get a good number of the earthwork and layout question right in the PM.

AM

Construction 88

Geotech 38

Structure 62

Transportation 75

Water & Environ. 88

PM

Earthwork & Construction 75

Estimating Qty & Costs 57

Const. Operations 17

Scheduling 86

Material Quality Control 25

Temp. Structures 40

Worker Health & Safety 33

Other Topics 50

Based on the analysis, I got 28 correct in AM and 20 in PM. So that means 48 is not good enough.

I scored about the same 30 right in the AM but bombed the PM.I can't figure out how I can get 7 construction question right in the AM and not get a good number of the earthwork and layout question right in the PM.

Don't feel bad... I did just as well...

AM

Construction 88

Geotech 50

Structure 50

Transportation 62

Water & Environ. 88

PM

Estimating Qty & Costs 43

Const. Operations 33

Scheduling 57

Temp. Structures 60

Worker Health & Safety 67

Other Topics 0 (whoops!)

Based on the analysis, I got ~27 correct in AM and 20 in PM. Does that sound right? Either way I didn't make the cut. I'm bummed but half expected not to pass based on my studying availability and last minute prep. Better luck next time!

Yeah.....You and I almost did the same in the exam....I was feeling good about PM though. I thought I would get about 25...... Are you taking construction again in October?

Don't feel bad... I did just as well...
AM

Construction 88

Geotech 50

Structure 50

Transportation 62

Water & Environ. 88

PM

Estimating Qty & Costs 43

Const. Operations 33

Scheduling 57

Temp. Structures 60

Worker Health & Safety 67

Other Topics 0 (whoops!)

Based on the analysis, I got ~27 correct in AM and 20 in PM. Does that sound right? Either way I didn't make the cut. I'm bummed but half expected not to pass based on my studying availability and last minute prep. Better luck next time!

I didn't plan to take it again in October since my work schedule is typically full bore during the time I would need to study. I was planning to study over the year and take it again next April. I'm trying to devise a new plan to study so that I stay on top of the material better. I was also thinking of taking a different PM exam next round - maybe Geotech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back