BS Engineering with Law Degree

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavell

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what you guys think of a BS in engineering, with a law degree. There are many lawyers out there but almost none with technical backgrounds. I know a PE professional witness that testifies in court, and he tells me a lawyer with an engineering degree with clean up. He says that most of the lawyers dont know jack squat and if you have basic engineering knowledge most lawyers cant even touch you in some cases.

Just want to know what you guys think.

Also wondering about Engineering BS, MBA, JD combination?? Would qualify you on business and engineering grounds in court.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few patent attorneys with that combo.

^When I interviewed at the patent office, they said the turnover was really high because a lot of people got their law degrees and became patent attorneys. i guess they'd have a leg up knowing how the system worked.

I would be weary of law school right now. Do a little research on the number of people in law school and the demand for lawyers. If you're at a top school and have great grades you probably won't have a problem but there is an oversupply of lawyers that is causing low salaries and a lot of law graduates are getting out of school with not a hope of finding a job.

The combination of degrees is said to be a good one. Engineering school teaches you how to think in logical steps and how to best attack problems.

OTOH I don't know anyone with an MBA who uses it, so I can't speak to that.

I agree with Chucktown. Lawyers who have a chance for large salaries (150K+) starting are limited to the best schools (true even in good times). If that is what it would take for it to work with both personal and financial satisfaction, I wouldn't consider it unless you plan to go to a Top 20 school. Unfortunately, the cost for law school doesn't drop that much at a middle of the road school vs some of the top ones.

Another thing to consider that if you make it to big law, the life style is very different than engineering. Long hours, all nighters, canceled vacations, etc.

That being said, if you can swing it financially (some state law schools are very good and can be a lot cheaper) with expectation of instant riches, there is probably opportunity for long term success. Even if you don't go and practice, there are opportunities where a law degree is useful and can payoff in the long run.

several of my classmates from undergrad went straight into law school (patent law) because jobs were scarce right after 9/11. I'd say half of my classmates (ChemE) did not have jobs at graduation. Many went on to grad school.

I had a partner in a law firm come and speak at one of my engineering courses and he said that it was a nice route to go.

But i think going straight from BS to a law degree won't be as helpful as if you had a few years of real life experience thrown in there. I learned more my first 3 years of working than five times what they taught me in school.

But i think going straight from BS to a law degree won't be as helpful as if you had a few years of real life experience thrown in there. I learned more my first 3 years of working than five times what they taught me in school.
I wholeheartedly agree. Work for an owner; work for a contractor; work for a designer.

I have a friend who did a PhD in Biochemistry/Genetics and then went to law school. (all at really GOOD schools.) She had a horrendous time finding employment--no one wanted a patent attorney without experience. She was secret shopping, delivering pizza etc.

Then she got a small break with an legal job offer 1000 miles from home.

She lived (way) apart from her husband for 2 years just so she didn't have to throw out her law education. Then she took a sweatshop attorney job for maybe $40K just live in the same house with her husband again. Now, about 5 years after law school, she's finally being paid a decent salary (perhaps no higher than a engineer with a BS who gained experience while she went to school). I think the outrageous hours are still part of the mix, though. She is finally working for a firm that needs the genetics background -- as opposed to "general" patent cases---and is overall, happy.

My guess is that the engineer/attorney combo may have similar tradeoffs -- do serious research about opportunities and lifestyle before you jump in.

A good friend of mine is a material science major (not eng but close) and he's graduating with a JD this coming spring. I think it's interesting to say the least... he's not going into patent law because he says it's boring as hell, and I think I'd have to agree from what I've seen. Make sure you do some informal interviews of people working in the field, make sure it's something you REALLY want to do. Law school is a huge investment, and when I looked into it students on average graduate $80-90k in debt. Also, like stated above, do your research about how JD grads feel about it. From what I remember some 60-odd percent regret ever going.

Oh, and as stated above, your typical lawyer makes crappy salary. The big $$$ is in comissions from huge settlements.

I've known a few lawyers who were engineers for several years (and one guy who was a city manager). Frankly, they seem to get less respect from some of the "regular" lawyers, but mostly because they are considered "junior" lawyers because they started so late.

I've also known at least a half dozen lawyers who never hesitated to make engineering decisions, despite having no training as engineers.

I guess what I am saying is this: Lawyers are arrogant scum, as a rule. Don't become a lawyer unless you want to become a lawyer.

Never in my life did I think i would say this... but the future - in terms of well paying job - is in..... ENGINEERING

I would go so far as to say it doesn't even matter which branch you start out in - mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical... go into a high-dollar industry and the sky is the limit. lots more jobs in those industries (energy, oil and gas, process) than in law.

devon energy average salary for it's engineers is $175k. plus, even in a down market, it's a *lot* easier to start an engineering practice than a law practice.

Forget law school. Get your PE

Petroleum engineers usually make more money than most other engineers. They also work like dogs and go places most people wouldn't.

Engineering isn't usually a way to get rich. Being a doctor/lawyer/entrepreneur is much more likely to net you big bucks.

^^ Are you hiring? $175k my ass. Find me an engineer making over $100k anywhere on this board and I'll be impressed. I'm making $82k and I've been out of school (with a M.S.) for almost 6 years now.
It takes a little bit of initiative but their are plenty of engineers who make well into 6 figures. working for county government wont get you there, nor will working for most structural AE (building structural is a low-paying gig contrary to popular belief)

6 figures is not at all uncommon for a PE in industry.

maybe you fit this profile?

http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?Job...amp;from=indeed

200-250k / yr

and yes - I make 6 figures.

that is not what engineers at devon make. that is what the average salaried employee makes. the most common salaried title at the company is engineer. read what you post and dont exaggerate.

I know what I make and the people in my industry (oil and gas) make. I recognize that is not the norm, but it is what it is. I'm sorry if that's not *your* reality, but that IS the reality of a lot of folks.

(btw. devon has a lot of secretaries, accountants etc. bringing down the "average" - do the math)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back