P.E. or PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.E. or PE?

• P.E.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • PE

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

CivE Bricky

Reaction score
I'm ordering new biz cards.

I tried looking this question up in one of those secretarial reference books, but it didn't help. I like the cleaner "PE" myself, but if it's technically "not correct" I'll go with P.E.

Anyone really know?

All of the Texas board members, who are P.E.'s, use "P.E." on the board members list. When in Rome...

Mostly I have seen P.E. and that is what I have on my business cards, email signature, etc... However, I have "PTOE" and not "P.T.O.E." as that is how the issuer of the certificate puts it.

I prefer PE - For those schlubs (of which i hope to be) who may hold mulitple licenses; i.e., PE, PS looks a lot better than P.E., P.S., IMO (I.M.O.?)

*edit - shoulda looked at IlPadrino's link first, i've just indicated i like the pe exam and ps exam more than (hopefully) being a p.e. / p.s.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this topic reminds me of one of my (all to many!) pet peeves: acronyms vs. initialisms.

Personally, I prescribe to the general rule that if it's pronounceable (i.e. an acronym) then it doesn't get the period, otherwise, it does.

And this topic reminds me of one of my (all to many!) pet peeves: acronyms vs. initialisms.
Personally, I prescribe to the general rule that if it's pronounceable (i.e. an acronym) then it doesn't get the period, otherwise, it does.
EPA? I'm not a fan of this acronym, b/c I believe in punctuation, but this is the widely accepted acronym for the Environmental Protection Agency. Do you think this is incorrect, and just an accepted acronym?

EPA? I'm not a fan of this acronym, b/c I believe in punctuation, but this is the widely accepted acronym for the Environmental Protection Agency. Do you think this is incorrect, and just an accepted acronym?
Do you pronounce it "eepa"? I don't... I call it the "Eee Pee Aay".

I just put "Master of All I Survey" on my cards. It was a mistake. Now everyone thinks I'm a Master Surveyor.

Better than being thought of as a Master Baiter, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
838134437_bdc3e6b68e.jpg

I use P.E. on my business cards and email sig.

I thought about PE, but figured it looked less professional imo.

I prefer PE, but I have P.E. on both my email sig and my business cards because then I would match the rest of the office.

Back