Is the citizenship required for PE - APR 2009 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
construction

Is the citizenship required for PE

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that being a US citizen is not a requirement for being a PE.

I think you can either be a permanent resident or a citizen in order to be a PE in the US.

No. You are not required to be U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to obtain P.E.

I am wondering if any one had the PE and still green card holder not citizen ???
Edited by Nevada P.E.

No. You are not required to be U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident to obtain P.E.

Does "Permanent Resident" = that you got the "student visa" from some ABET Universities and get your Master or Phd and then only work for school research group for 3 years. After you got your PE that you will be hire buy some company and then get your working visa -> "Permanent Resident"????

If someone isn't a Permanent Resident that they can still take the PE for the Permanent Resident status later on!!!!!!

Simple explanation is there is no requirement for being citizens. Anyone can give exams. Even F1 visa students (those who came to study in US), H-1B visa (Visa to work for an emplyer in US) or permanent resident card holders can all give PE exams.

I gave my FE exams as F1 visa and gave my PE on green card.

US is a free country.

In other counrty that you need to be their citizen in order to get the license in the country. Doing this is because the country want to protect the job for their citizen.(To keep skill people stay)

There is no requirement that I know of, however, to qualify for the Exam the individual state would need to be satisfied with your education/references.

That will probably not be a problem if you went to an ABET school received a BS in Engineering and have been performing engineering work under the supervision of a P.E. for at least 4 years.

How does one give the exam? I know I can take the exam or sit for the exam, but I did not know I could also give the exam to others.

How does one give the exam? I know I can take the exam or sit for the exam, but I did not know I could also give the exam to others.

That's a slang of United Nations of America.

That's a slang of United Nations of America.

Well then maybe they should apply to the UNA instead of the USA.

I am not US Citizen and perminant resident. But I am a PE. I am in TN though.

I've also seen people say the "write the exam". I think it's similar to how different parts of the country refer to soft drinks as sodas, pop, drink, coke, etc.

I've also seen people say the "write the exam". I think it's similar to how different parts of the country refer to soft drinks as sodas, pop, drink, coke, etc.

or how well you know English

I am wondering if any one had the PE and still green card holder not citizen ???

It all depends on the state board. Here are some examples from my coworkers experience:

NY will let you sit for the exam but they will not issue you a license unless you are a permanent resident of the United States i.e. a Green Card holder. No, not student visa F1, not work visa H1B, nothing will do.

Connecticut, Delaware and Texas will issue you a license as long as you are legal in the US. Yes, even on H1B.

Bare in mind that some states are reevaluating their regulation and may toughen their immigration policy, following NY example

It all depends on the state board. Here are some examples from my coworkers experience:

NY will let you sit for the exam but they will not issue you a license unless you are a permanent resident of the United States i.e. a Green Card holder. No, not student visa F1, not work visa H1B, nothing will do.

Connecticut, Delaware and Texas will issue you a license as long as you are legal in the US. Yes, even on H1B.

Bare in mind that some states are reevaluating their regulation and may toughen their immigration policy, following NY example

I agree with you.NY State requires to be resident alien (green card) or Citizen to issue PE license even you take the exam and passed.

It doesnt make sense to me that you work as en engineer and design the project but can not sign because you dont have green card even though you passed the PE exam.

There is no requirement that I know of, however, to qualify for the Exam the individual state would need to be satisfied with your education/references.

Most states require the US SSN in order to put you to sit for the PE exam (except Michigan as far as I know) or PE license approval through reciprocity. Quite a few states have the residency requirements (i.e. New York requires residency and Nevada would not consider a non-resident of NV for the exam unless his home state does not have the type of license he is applying for). In other words, citizenship is not required, residency may be required depending on individual states, and the SSN is pretty much a must in most states.

I'm from GU on H1 visa and have to take my PE in CA. CA requires Tax Identification No or SSN in the application but doesn't need to be US citizen or CA residence.

I am not US Citizen and perminant resident. But I am a PE. I am in TN though.

I presume you have a Work Visa, though... otherwise, what's the point of having a license?

I presume you have a Work Visa, though... otherwise, what's the point of having a license?

Anyone can take the test (FE OR PE) even the visitors, but only the green cardholder get the license when they passed otherwise the board will hold the result till you become a permanent resident.

i would like to ask a simple question or if i you could refer me to someone who knows the answer:

i am currently doing my FE/PE exams with the Saudi Council of Engineers (SCE). i am not a US citizen and not residing inside the US. am i eligible for PE licensure? thank you.

i.e. SCE is a foreign entity that administers FE/PE exams, in addition to AUS, etc...

When I took the PE exam (2014, WA state) I was a green card holder. A couple of coworkers with work visas (H1) took the PE last October.

Sign in to follow this