Products/Brands that you hate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I will never buy another HP. Every peice of hardware had to be replaced at least once.

Norton Anti-virus-Its OK as long as you pay your tribute yearly subscription to Symantec. I quit paying and evry month, on the dot, a peripheral would stop being recognized. You can't remove it either. Fool me once...

Nissan-Thank you dealers for this one! Arrogant, must make an appointment, tried to see more replacement parts than I needed, and overcharged ($450 for a new t-stat and serpentine belt on a SENTRA!!!).

Honda-Same deal. Don't tell me you can't recycle R-12 when you're standing in front of a machine labled R-12 reclamation and recycling unit.

I have never heard someone say they hate Honda. I love my Honda and the service that has come with it.

On to the subject matter: Mattel. I bought my kid a remote controlled car for his birthday. One month later and the thing won't go forward. What a POS.

I have never heard someone say they hate Honda. I love my Honda and the service that has come with it.
I loved the product. The service sucked. Tried to charge me 1000 for a whole new AC system when all it needed was a new compressor. The car was worth mayb 1500 bucks at the time. I drove it two more summers with no AC.

I'd probably still be driving it if they'd just replaced the compressor, instead of trying to screw me.

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the subject matter: Mattel. I bought my kid a remote controlled car for his birthday. One month later and the thing won't go forward. What a POS.
That's more inherent of the item...a remote control car by any company would probably fare the same. Having worked in returns at toysrus I saw plenty of RC cars being returned.

Chicken tacos from a hometown mexican food restaurant.

I only eat beef there now.

Bad. Bad. Bad...

:puke: :mf_pain:

on the PC front.... any eMachine, Compaq, HP, etc that I've come in contact with is crappy... Dell, haven't had an issue with...

I've had good dealings with my Nissan and the dealer.... of course, I don't follow their 3,750 mile checkup schedule once I found out that the 15k mile checkup took 8 hrs and cost close to $400... "yeah.. it's one of the big ones".... I've got over 80k on it now.... I figure I can check fluid levels and top off the windshield washer fluid for cheaper than $400...

Everything from Sony seems like it's WAY overpriced...

I hate Nationwide insurance.... not because I have it, had it,etc..... but because somehow one of their clients hitting MY car turns into MY fault.... long story, that, 2.5 years later, still pisses me off...

I'm sure I could think of more....

There aren't many products that I hate, but there are some that I think are over-rated such as Bose, Apple, Sony, etc. Not that I wouldn't buy any of them if the price was right, but I won't pay retail for them.

I'm one of those "buy american" dinosaurs that has slowly come to the realization that globalization has made that just about impossible.

but as far as cars go, I won't support the japenese brands. they flooded the market with subsidized product to get thier edge. I recently had a connecting flight thru detroit and that has to be the only airport on the mainland that had guidance signs in english and japanese. there are tour groups going thru there to view the war they won. maybe I am just halucinating...

Dyson Vacuums = plastic overpriced junk.
I have to disagree with that one. My wife's mom got one for their house a while ago. We've got hardwood floors throughout but we've put in carpet remnants in just about every room now so we still need to vacuum. We got some Dirt Devil a while ago that we thought was okay until my wife borrowed the Dyson. We vacuumed with our DD and immediately followed up with the Dyson. On a piece of carpet probably 5ft by 10ft, we just about filled the collection canister (2 toddlers and 2 dogs will do that) and it pulled the matted carpet up to where it almost looked brand new again.

They are expensive and they are a lot of plastic, but I have yet to see anything work as well.

Dyson Vacuums = plastic overpriced junk.
they make awesome hand dryers for public bathrooms, just sort of dip your wet hands in the air stream. we saw them all over london, 10secs or less and your hands were completely dry. linky

way better than the hair dryer on the wall POS stuff we have here.

I recently had a connecting flight thru detroit and that has to be the only airport on the mainland that had guidance signs in english and japanese.
They got those in Seattle too. I think both Japanese and Korean.

Brands I hate:

Dell computers - I liked them 10 years ago, but they are such cheap low quality pieces of **** that break all the time. I will never buy another one at home. The new one at work had to be upgraded just to run AutoCad.

Old Navy clothes - Tried them in college and they were cheap and popular at the time. Flimsy stuff that falls apart in the wash and doesn't last.

LL Bean - same as above, but lots more expensive

Kodak Digital Camera - Battery eaters! I'd have to change them 2-3 times a day on vacation.

they make awesome hand dryers for public bathrooms, just sort of dip your wet hands in the air stream. we saw them all over london, 10secs or less and your hands were completely dry.
way better than the hair dryer on the wall POS stuff we have here.
Of course European hand driers are far superior to American hand driers.

In general I think it should be stated that American brands suck in general.

I have to disagree with that one. My wife's mom got one for their house a while ago. We've got hardwood floors throughout but we've put in carpet remnants in just about every room now so we still need to vacuum. We got some Dirt Devil a while ago that we thought was okay until my wife borrowed the Dyson. We vacuumed with our DD and immediately followed up with the Dyson. On a piece of carpet probably 5ft by 10ft, we just about filled the collection canister (2 toddlers and 2 dogs will do that) and it pulled the matted carpet up to where it almost looked brand new again.
They are expensive and they are a lot of plastic, but I have yet to see anything work as well.
We have the "standard" dyson that my in-laws gave us after they ordered one designed specifically for "pet hair"??? Anyway, we've had great luck with it and because it's plastic, it's very lightweight (which for my wife and her back problems, helps out).

The thing I do hate about the dyson is the stupidly engineer'd attachments hose. it has such a large nozzle on the end, it's inflexible and really difficult to use. I think they did this because the suck on the **** thing is so hard, if they didn't do something like that it'd collapse the hose. If I put my hand over the end of the hose - it'll about yank the entire vacuum off the floor and come flying toward me because the hose is shrinking up with all the suck.

So... come to think of it. I do agree, Dyson's SUCK, real hard.

Mr. Dyson himself spoke at my university, he's a sharp guy. His talk was mainly about entrepreneurship and how to market ideas. His designs are totally overblown, which is fantastic but I can't say I'd pay a premium for a super mega vacuum cleaner or washing machine.

Several brands stick out in my mind that were once great quality and fair price but today are milquetoast quality and high price like Eddie Bauer and Doc Marten. A reputation was built on quality, then outsourced or whatever to bump up profits. The materials are good, but the workmanship is lousy for the premium price.

I don't mind paying for quality. I think most people don't mind spending extra for something they really like instead of immediately buying whatever is cheapest.

Brands and products don't inspire hate in me, but rabid, drooling fanboys of products do inspire me to knock them upside the head with an old boot: see Apple products. Join the cult of the white keyboard today!

I don't mind paying for quality. I think most people don't mind spending extra for something they really like instead of immediately buying whatever is cheapest.
My FIL will buy the cheapest version of whatever he was needing then complains to high heaven when it craps out/brakes within the first month or so and now has to go buy a new one. There is no explaining quality costs a little more to him, very stuborn man.

Back