Passed FE Exam, Now What?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casecivil

Reaction score
I recently graduated from school and passed the FE exam. Basically, I was wondering what the next steps are into becoming licensed other than waiting and taking PE exam. Do I just sort of bide my time until I have the necessary years of experience? Are there any states out there that let you take the PE exam without becoming licensed and then receive the licensing once you do have the experience?

The way I see it is I am only going to become further removed from certain subjects in the subsequent years and have to study more later. Right now, I don't have as many responsibilities with family and work as I foresee in four to five years. So it would be easier to put the time in now.

Would it be worthwhile to look into becoming LEED certified in addition? Is there experience requirements for that? I don't know a lot about LEED, but it seems that there are a few different tests/tracks. What would be the best one for a civil/water resource engineer?

I haven't seem this topic discussed anywhere on the board, so I thought that I would ask. It seems that most of the posters would have some good advice. Any insight, or other useful ideas for an entry level engineer would be appreciated. Thanks.

every state board has different rules and wait periods. research where you think you'll be and go from there.

I recently graduated from school and passed the FE exam. Basically, I was wondering what the next steps are into becoming licensed other than waiting and taking PE exam. Do I just sort of bide my time until I have the necessary years of experience? Are there any states out there that let you take the PE exam without becoming licensed and then receive the licensing once you do have the experience?
The way I see it is I am only going to become further removed from certain subjects in the subsequent years and have to study more later. Right now, I don't have as many responsibilities with family and work as I foresee in four to five years. So it would be easier to put the time in now.

Would it be worthwhile to look into becoming LEED certified in addition? Is there experience requirements for that? I don't know a lot about LEED, but it seems that there are a few different tests/tracks. What would be the best one for a civil/water resource engineer?

I haven't seem this topic discussed anywhere on the board, so I thought that I would ask. It seems that most of the posters would have some good advice. Any insight, or other useful ideas for an entry level engineer would be appreciated. Thanks.
You can apply CA PE after 2 years of engineering work. But you need to have 4 PEs to sign you on.......The dateline is 7/20/2009 so you still have this final week to think about!!!!!APplication fee is $275.

Don't know if this idea ever crossed your mind but you could look into getting more education. I got my masters in civil engineering through distance education. helped me keep up with all the topics that are covered on the PE. Fortunately my job paid for my education so i was lucky there. also helps pass the time and could help shave a year off of your wait if you did it and worked at the same time. just a thought.

The USGBC just rolled out the all new LEED certifications, so you would be starting over like a bunch of other folks will be. The older certifications are being given "legacy" status, and now everyone needs to start paying into the new system.

If you are going to be working in the commercial construction field, I highly suggest getting your LEED accreditation. It has become such a big buzzword these days that having the extra alphabet soup after your name makes you stand out. (Or I guess, NOT having it would make you stand out....in a bad way)

Back