Salary Raise for Getting PE License - APR 2009 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
jsully1980

Salary Raise for Getting PE License

Any idea what a normal raise is for getting your PE license?

Me in particular I am Civil and work for General Contractor.

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

How much more money are you bringing into the firm because of your new license?

Don't count on more money because you have a license. In the current economy, keeping a job is good enough for most. When the economy is better, you can work on making it pay off either with your current company or by changing jobs.

I am not surprised that Mary said tactfully what I said bluntly. :)

I will be using my stamp on a regular basis. Instead of my boss stamping my own designs I will be. We will continue to save money instead of hiring design firms, so that will not be a change.

I believe I get a 1% raise. Looks like I'll be buying that summer house in the Hamptons. Or at least a picture of a house in the hamptons.

My firm gives a $2500 bonus. For a salary increase you have to get a promotion or you can ask for a raise. But in this economy I would not expect a raise.

I got no salary increase or other recognition from the company when I got my PE. BUT, it gave me what I needed to get out of that hell hole.

I was given a 4% raise for passing, if the economy had been better I think I would have gotten more. But I work for a fairly good company. But Mary is right you sometimes need to just switch jobs to get the good size bump in salary. The PE opens so many doors for us.

I've heard that I should expect $1.00/hr raise through the grapevine, but haven't heard anything from management yet... No bonuses that I'm aware of, and no reimbursement for study/exam prep expenses or exam/license fees either. I would consider switching jobs, but I have good security right now, and I love what I do which is a pretty specialized field without a whole lot of other options in the area.

i work for the DOT, and if you dont have your PE the highest job you can hold is an "Assistant Engineer." You can only become a CE I, II, III, etc, after you have your PE.

I get a $2,500 per year raise as soon as I actually get a license number. I'll take that in this market as I'm not expecting much in the way of a performance based raise. At least the PE will buy me some sort of increase this year.

Got a $1000/yr raise and the company reimbursed me for my last two attempts at the exam ($500). They paid for the first two upfront.

I really didn't expect anything especially since we're basically talking about no raises (performance or COL) this year.

I work for the DOT and will be getting a 4.5% raise for passing the PE. Which for me equals out to about $2000 a year. Could be better but at least the doors are open for me if I want to leave and I do have a job in this economy so that is all that matters.

I just found out I get $2.5K bonus for obtaining a license, an added incentive that I had no idea about.

I also have the same situation when it comes to job level. I was told at my last performance review that I was at the highest position within the company that I could be without a license. Even if I don't get promoted, it's good to know that it's at least possible.

$750 cash award and reimbursement of fees to take the test.

Although I may not be getting a raise, the PE gives me the security of probably not getting laid off. At this point, I think that is enough for me.

i am currently in negotiations with the boss to get a very healthy raise if i can swing it. Ill probably get a 2k-3k bonus, a 30-50% raise and next year a stake in the company. I cant complain.

i am currently in negotiations with the boss to get a very healthy raise if i can swing it. Ill probably get a 2k-3k bonus, a 30-50% raise and next year a stake in the company. I cant complain.

That sounds great! All that extra money and you're going to Houston to celebrate? :joke:

50%!!!! Are you freakin' serious?? Or you're a mininum wager right now?

50%!!!! Are you freakin' serious?? Or you're a mininum wager right now?

I was thinking the same exact thing!

How much more money are you bringing into the firm because of your new license?

But the fact of the matter is that if you apply for a job, typically a licensed engineer will be paid more than and unlicensed.

So I guess if you are O.K. with your newly licensed engineer leaving for a raise, then don't give him one.

I personally would appreciate my Manager just giving me a say 3% raise rather then me getting another offer for 7% more then he finally forking over the money.

I am workingat one of the top 10 design firm and they never give raise if you pass PE exam. (cheap greedy bosses)

and they just started to reimburse PE exam fee this year.

I received my PE and LEED AP last month and no raise no bonus.

But at least it increased my job security. with this economy i am lucky to have a job now. we had 10-15% laid off and some pay cut

but when the economy picks up i need to get out of here :P

Edited by engTT

Sign in to follow this