Failed SE1 and now do not know what to do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmehta

Reaction score
I have officially failed my first attempt at SE1 as the list on the website does not have my name. I have yet not received any letter or diagnostic report from state. I was never expecting to fail the exam ... This has come at a total shock to me and my family.

I am caught between giving second attempt for SE1 or give Civil PE. I am also caught whether I should take break in October and give exam in April or should I give in October. (I have to kids, one toddler 2.5 years old and one two month old daughter). I don't know if I can ignore the needs of my family right now.

Although I know some of my answers will be answered by diagnostic report but right now I wanted to know what you guys think.

I have officially failed my first attempt at SE1 as the list on the website does not have my name. I have yet not received any letter or diagnostic report from state. I was never expecting to fail the exam ... This has come at a total shock to me and my family.
I am caught between giving second attempt for SE1 or give Civil PE. I am also caught whether I should take break in October and give exam in April or should I give in October. (I have to kids, one toddler 2.5 years old and one two month old daughter). I don't know if I can ignore the needs of my family right now.

Although I know some of my answers will be answered by diagnostic report but right now I wanted to know what you guys think.
Don't be discouraged. Put your hobbies on hold then put your family first; work and keep on studying. It's normal to to grieve today you'll feel stronger tomorrow or the day after.

You should know your strength better than anyone in choosing the SE1 or Civil P.E. Most on this board will tell you SE1 is time consuming. Some complete the civil Breath in 3 hrs or so.

You know what to expect next time. Give it all you got.. Don't ever give up. You're one of the few that's qualified too sit for that title.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
vhmehta, I got your message. Thank you.

My advice to you is: [SIZE=14pt]Keep your chin up, don't give up![/SIZE]

SE is the most difficult one. Many many people I know failed the first, second, third, ... try. And they are not dumb at all.

Don't pay too much attention to the diagnostic report breakdown. For SE1, all the areas are overlapped. I looked at it and threw it away. I only look at the whole picture and realized I need more reading of the AASHTO, more masonry and wood. Those were the subjects I lost points. For example it would tell you that you're weak on stress analysis, but that could mean you only lost some points on wood and masonry analysis but not on concrete and steel.

Don't give up your life. The PE exam is just part of your life not all. Keep a positive attitude. YOu have come thus long way and the exam is the only last thing you gotta deal with. Think about what you have accomplished and got your energy from those thoughts. Believe in yourself and pray more for more power. I refused to give up my college football season tickets and watch all the March Madness games and went to all Christmas parties.

Take at least a week off from work. SE is the most difficult PE exam. Tell your boss you need some study time. Get a day relaxing before the exam.

6 Minutes Solution is good book to work with couple days before the exam to get yourself to get the rythm.

I got about 100 ~ 120 study time in April and after the exam I was 100% I passed (although the waiting kinda chowed off my confidance level quite a bit.) I got half of an hour left morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. It became much easier for me than the previous one. I thought the April test was easier itself but later I was told by others otherwise and the statistics agreed. So the only reason that I felt better is my study really helped a lot.

Keep a note binder, that outline all the important formula by say, steel, concrete, seismic, and so on. One ~ two pages each that you can quickly find things you need.

I never took at pre class so I don't know if they help. I personally feel I don't need them.

Hope those tips will help.

Good luck, buddy.

Remember, it is just an exam. Don't give it anymore importance than it deserves. Try to start afresh, look at the diagnostics, and improve upon the weakest links. Also, keep strengthening your strong points as well. I am sure you'll pass next time. SE I is a very difficult exam, so don't worry too much if you couldn't make it this time.

When you get the diagnostic report, you'll know how close you were. If you were very close, I would encourage you to re-take in October. Good luck.

Keep trying with the SE-I. It may even take two to three test seating before you pass, but it is well worth the effort.

I once had local a county employee (engineer) tell me that I was not licensed to do structural work since I had taken the Civil PE Exam (with the structural afternoon). I explained to him that my discipline emphasis was in structural based on my afternoon session. Since then I have taken and passed the SE-I and SE-II to quite anyone trying to question my area of expertise.

vhmehta,

Normally I would advise to continue to take and pass the SE I because it is a step toward SE licensure, even if you have no plans to pursue it now. However, after 2010 a passing score in that exam will be worthless. It will not be a step toward getting licensed as an SE in the future. You will still need to take the Civil PE exam to get reciprocity in some states.

My advise is to take the Civil-Str Exam. It is a VERY easy exam compared to SE I. There is no benefit to passing SE I now.

vhmehta,
Normally I would advise to continue to take and pass the SE I because it is a step toward SE licensure, even if you have no plans to pursue it now. However, after 2010 a passing score in that exam will be worthless. It will not be a step toward getting licensed as an SE in the future. You will still need to take the Civil PE exam to get reciprocity in some states.

My advise is to take the Civil-Str Exam. It is a VERY easy exam compared to SE I. There is no benefit to passing SE I now.
Thankyou everyone for your helpful advice. I have still not received any letter from state and so do not have diagnostic report.

Mary, I agree that if I am close I could try to give it in October but failing this exam have brought me to close to the change in SE1 and Se11 exams as after October 2010 both this exams will not be offered and instead a new format exams will start.

that being said I have only 3 trials to pass SE1 and SE11.

Thudore Thanks for your help. Will let all of you guys know what I will do and will stay on this board in future.

I just had one more question for all of you guys:

Looking into my situation I feel like it will be absolute miracle of I can get SE1 and SE11 within the 3 trials I have left before the exam changes. Do you guys think that PE Civil/Stru should be easier than SE1? (I can always pursue the new format exam for my own personal satisfaction after I pass PE civil)

Do you guys think that I should take ppi2pass "passing zone"? Do you guys suggest any review classes?

I feel like it is going to be difficult for me to learn hydrology, transportation and other non structural topics but then people do say that PE civil is not as tricky as SE1 exam.....

DO you think CERM covers the exam prep? Any good book representative of exam problems?

Within couple of more days I have to make discision of whether I will go for the miracle or opt for PE Civil.... I am also debating whether to give exam in October or take a break and take it in April... (as you know I have 2.5 years toddler and a newborn daughter) My family needs me right now and I have to talk with my employer what are there needs.

I will need all the help from you guys in what ever exam I elect to go with........ Thanks for your support.

If you decided to switch to Civil, you will need to study I think four different subjects plus the structural, and how about the depth session? Will be structure or transportation ?!! So you will need to study more subjects plus the the hard study for the depth session. I would focus in the STR 1 exam. Good luck

Here is my two cents worth on the subject of SE1 or Civil/Struct---

If you live in a state that requires you to have a SE to work on certain types of structures and you work in this field (commercial –schools, churches, etc.) then by all means continue to try for the SE

However, if you live in a state that does not recognize a SE (like Tennessee) then you may be wasting your time. I took the SE1 because I thought I was more knowledgeable in this area. This turned out to be false mainly because I work on industrial structures made of concrete and steel not bridges, wood and prestress. SO, it has been a fool’s errand for me. Personally I am switching to take the Civil/Structural exam in Oct because as previously stated--- in a year all these questions about SE1 or Civil/Structural will be a mute point! Thanks to NCEES

Believe it or not.....I was in the exactly same situation as you couple weeks ago....I failed SE1 in April....I didn't expect that at all and kind of shock in the first 2-3 days... I think I did well in the exam...but I guess not good enough....Honestly, it's quite discouraging to me too...

Taking a break for this October is not an option for me.....I know I need to get the license...I would rather get it sooner than later....so it comes to which exam I would go for....

After talked to many people and gave a lot of thought myself...I decided to go with Civil/Structural this coming October....Since I am in Texas, there are no differnt between PE and SE1. Also I want to build my confident from PE first before go back to SE1 again. I decided to register for Civil last week. (I really need to make decision....otherwise it kept bothering me) Se II is still my ultimate goal but at this point..I choose to build more confident first....

Considered that I will only have 3 chances to pass SE1 and SE2, I would rather have something in my pocket to reduce the pressure first.

Hope you come to the best solution for yourself too.

P.S. I don't think PE civil is easy.....People said it's easier than SE1...but still lot of things to study~!

Here are my comments:

1) I believe Texas registers SE if you pass SE I; That's what I'm planning to do if company pays.

2) Statistics shows that passing rate for Civil is about 20% higher thatn SE I.

Believe it or not.....I was in the exactly same situation as you couple weeks ago....I failed SE1 in April....I didn't expect that at all and kind of shock in the first 2-3 days... I think I did well in the exam...but I guess not good enough....Honestly, it's quite discouraging to me too...
Taking a break for this October is not an option for me.....I know I need to get the license...I would rather get it sooner than later....so it comes to which exam I would go for....

After talked to many people and gave a lot of thought myself...I decided to go with Civil/Structural this coming October....Since I am in Texas, there are no differnt between PE and SE1. Also I want to build my confident from PE first before go back to SE1 again. I decided to register for Civil last week. (I really need to make decision....otherwise it kept bothering me) Se II is still my ultimate goal but at this point..I choose to build more confident first....

Considered that I will only have 3 chances to pass SE1 and SE2, I would rather have something in my pocket to reduce the pressure first.

P.S. I don't think PE civil is easy.....People said it's easier than SE1...but still lot of things to study~!

Here are my comments:
1) I believe Texas registers SE if you pass SE I; That's what I'm planning to do if company pays.

From the information I have, TX only listed as PE no matter what dicipline you are. SE I, SE II or Civil won't make differnt if your project is in Texas. (in term of sealing the drawings)

I could be wrong but that's what I heard from my boss and others.

What's the utility of this data point (assuming, for the sake of discussion, that it's true)? Do you mean to imply the test is 20% "harder" for an average person? NCEES takes great care in determining cut scores...

My problem is I feel preparation for SE1 is easier than Civil/stru.... But the exam of PE Civil is easier and SE1 is a tricky!

I work in a medium company in which I deal with Steel, Concrete, Timber, Masonry and Seismic. The only two topics we do not work are Prestressed/precast and Bridge. I felt that in the morning session I lost some questions which were on Bridge... But I never thought I got that many wrong that I would fail the exams.... May be 10 in the morning and about 5 in the afternoon session.... But obviously if I failed I got some more wrong! I am guessing I got tricked by them.....

Remember I am an international student so last time I studied topics of Civil were about 10 years ago! Looking into my situation I feel I have to wait till April if I want to give Civil..... but feel like I can prepare for SE1 in October!

For Bridge Design: Is SERM enough? I thought in April 09 exam some questions were not covered in SERM... Should I get PPI's Bridge design book? Or kaplan material?

I have 6 minute solutions and NCEES practice exam. DO you think I should go ahead and buy Kaplan material to get some more problems?

I failed it the first two times and then past the third. It is a very difficult exam but not impossible. I have taken online preparation courses and spent alot of money on study guides. But, the best thing I did was take a two day preparation course given by Tim Mays, a professor at the Citadel. This course is set up to not only to review the topics but to provide you with tips on how to take the exam more efficiently. You will be given a binder for each day and it will contain alot of example problems that are set up to be like the questions on the test and you will be given "crib sheets" that summarize important information from the various codes and standards that we use. Below I have copied an email that Mr. Mays sent out last week. I hope this helps.

SE I REVIEW COURSE – BOSTON, PHILADELPHIA, ATLANTA, ORLANDO

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This course provides an in depth review of structural engineering material covered on the NCEES Structural I Exam and both the AM and PM portions of the NCEES PE Civil/Structural Engineering Exam (www.ncees.org).

The course material is presented in a format similar to the actual exam. Short problems are solved with appropriate presentation of design/analysis equations, references to applicable codes and standards, and effective use of SE/ES Reference Sheets provided to all attendees. The goal of the course is to familiarize the examinee with material covered on the exam while improving the examinee’s problem solving efficiency.

Space is limited. Please register early.

WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING:

"I passed. I wanted to let ya’ll know that I used the notes from Day 1 and Day 2 extensively in the exam and found them very helpful. Thank you for putting together a great review." - Todd Whisenhunt, P.E.

"Great Job! The presenters (both) were very interesting and easy to learn from. I have been looking for this presentation (content and format) for a couple of years . . now I found it and will be recommending it to all of my peers." - Nathan Heinlein

COURSE DATES:

July 27-28, 2009 Boston, MA (North Side - Serving MA, NH, and ME)

July 30-31, 2009 Philadelphia, PA

August 12-13, 2009 Atlanta, GA

September 11-12, 2009 Orlando, FL

HOW TO REGISTER:

Registration form: http://www.se-es.org/2009SEI.pdf

Back