Anybody got raise this year? Then how much?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlman

Reaction score
It's time to get the raise, but nobody mention it so far in my company.

It seems they are just happy 'cause of not being laid off.

Some of my friends also told me they didn't get any.

My salary has been raised 5~6% for last 3 years.

I need more $$ to pay my bills!!!

Haven't seen or heard anything in my office since I got my PE raise almost a year ago. Several people in my office have commented that they have several multi-year spans in thier careers where they received no raises at all (not even cost of living increases).

Right now I'm glad I still have a job.

A few of my colleagues have been laid off and can't find work so no raise for me in my industry.

I'm self-employed, and my billings are way down from what I made a couple of years ago. I'm lucky to have much work at all, it seems.

My advice would be to cut down on whatever expenses you have, kewlman, until the situation improves. As dexman says, some years are just like that. :)

No raise this year. Hell, we aren't even allowed to change jobs within the company right now. That is, unless you're on the level of global leaders. Then you get all the job moves and bonuses you want. <_< Us peons? Nada.

No raise this year. Hell, we aren't even allowed to change jobs within the company right now. That is, unless you're on the level of global leaders. Then you get all the job moves and bonuses you want. <_< Us peons? Nada.
At my company, they actually froze salaries of the managers and partners, but gave out raises to everyone else. I got a pretty decent raise/bonus in comparison to the average award. That was based on 08 revenue, 09 will be different issue.

kewlman,

You are getting some good response in this thread. I ended up switching jobs four months ago because my salary had reached the ceiling in my former job. I effectively got > 50% pay raise and placed myself on a better career path.

I am not recommending this for everyone .. but if you are really looking to get a boost in pay, typically you are going to have to look outside of your current employ/situation. I think if you were to screen the thousands of similar threads/responses on the subject; they would lead you to believe that is the most likely the way to get a pay raise.

FWIW - I think most people are hurting financially, so it is time for hunkering down. Good luck!

JR

kewlman,
You are getting some good response in this thread. I ended up switching jobs four months ago because my salary had reached the ceiling in my former job. I effectively got > 50% pay raise and placed myself on a better career path.

I am not recommending this for everyone .. but if you are really looking to get a boost in pay, typically you are going to have to look outside of your current employ/situation. I think if you were to screen the thousands of similar threads/responses on the subject; they would lead you to believe that is the most likely the way to get a pay raise.

FWIW - I think most people are hurting financially, so it is time for hunkering down. Good luck!

JR
Thanks for the advise.

I have been so much underpaid (making 50's with 10 years experience), and I've been waiting for this year's evaluation to raise my salary up to certain point.

We didn't have evaluation last year although I got a little raise, and it seems nothing will happen this year.

I've been searching job posts, and it seems job market is not active as before, but still I could find a good position for me sometimes.

Actually I like what I'm doing here, and I really love to work with my co-workers.

I'm thinking whether I will wait until next year or do some action sooner or later.

Good luck to everybody.

kewlman,

JR
It does seem to work that way, unfortunately. I haven't received a raise in my current position for over 8 years now (state government salary cap). I will be moving to a new employer over the next few months, and will get a >60% increase by doing so.

I got 3.1% increase in January. $3k on the spot performance bonus in June. Looking to get another ~3% in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm slated for a 6% year end raise, but my boss is also pushing to get me an interim raise with the increased job responsibility being on this job site.

No raise and no COLA.

:(

I'm just glad I have a job. Last time the economy tanked in 2001 I was laid off. Those were not good times.

Raises are coming up here in the next week or two.. I got my PE this year so hopefully I'll see something.

Otherwise that just sucks.

I'm expecting at least temporarily a 2.5% COLA on the next paycheck. The gov wants state employees to take 12 furlough days increase insurance and pay freezes/cuts, but we have a signed contract so who knows what is going to happen.

The hubby took a 2% cut starting this next paycheck and the company stopped matching the 401K, if things pick up by the end of the year they will get it back though.

After alot of hard work marketing to bring more clients I got a %10 decrease, Things are tough out there.

Working as an engineer for 28 years I find you need to change jobs to get a meaning full increase. They are just really reluctant to change your billing rate to clients, rather have you leave and then pay some one else more. New engineer---new rate

kewlman,

JR
Absolutely agree 100%. The only big jumps in pay i've got where when i left my current situation. I've gone from 36k in 2005 (I was away from engineering for a long time - it was my first engineering job since '97) to 95k today. Of course, I got my PE since then - and moved to another state (FL to Texas) -- but, still. not a bad 4 year tragectory.

Absolutely agree 100%. The only big jumps in pay i've got where when i left my current situation. I've gone from 36k in 2005 (I was away from engineering for a long time - it was my first engineering job since '97) to 95k today. Of course, I got my PE since then - and moved to another state (FL to Texas) -- but, still. not a bad 4 year tragectory.
Wow that's quite a jump? what state did you originally work?

Luckily for me, my boss back in TX has requested that he do my employee review, rather than my current boss. While both would probably give me the max raise at the review, my old boss will get the full amount approved, whereas site management here would probably reduce that amount to keep costs to the project down.

Back