What "Kills" your study time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What "Kills" your study time

• Work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Family(Spouse,Kids,etc)

• Friends

• Boozing it up on weekends

• Pshyco wife wont let you concentrate

• Pshyco husband wont let you concentrate

• Television Addiction

• internet addiction

• Myspace

• etc

• other

• Total voters
There's no "psycho me won't let me concentrate" button.

That would have been my choice.

Ed

When I was studying last fall, I told my wife that I was going to do the best I could to keep up with the family / husband duties. So, I moved my study time to evenings after the kids were in bed or on weekends when she would take the kids out of the house for a few hours.

My MAIN problem was that I didn't have a great place to study, I did most of it on the diningroom table (in clear view of the TV) and would get totally distracted while my wife watched TV in the other room.

I ended up going to the local University (to try and get in the studying spirit) and camp out in the engineering building basement where they had tables / chairs and vending machines (nice lamps, too).

The TV and internet were total distractions that I had to limit. After the 6 months of studying for the exam, I had to "relearn" what it was like to sit around and be lazy again. I think I've finally gotten back to mastering the couch potato routine, but it did take some time. :D

After the 6 months of studying for the exam, I had to "relearn" what it was like to sit around and be lazy again.
I totally agree.

For a good month after the exam, I would basically spend every free moment doing something productive. And even when I "relaxed" it wasn't passive bumming around or taking nap. I read about 3 novels for fun, and I kept looking stuff up to learn professionally.

I've now reverted to a giant lazy turd with poor hygiene. :true:

The library is about 5 minutes away from our house so I'd usually go up there for a few hours after work...that took care of most of the things on the list. It was quiet, I could have an entire table to myself to spread all my references out, and there were very few distractions (with the exception of the librarians).

Of course, I was also fortunate that my wife wanted me to do well too so she never gave me a hard time about being gone so much.

Of course, I was also fortunate that my wife wanted me to do well too so she never gave me a hard time about being gone so much.
Man!! that's such a nice excuse... how come didn't I think of it? I guess I will have to sign up for the structural I exam... :lmao:

hehehehe

get out of the dining room! my daughter would pester me non stop :true: about her algebra(that actually helped my study prep) I made a dungeon out of the guest room downstairs and got stuff done! I miss that place...

Wine is the single biggest study buster for me.

What starts as sipping a glass as I begin to study in the evening turns into a full blown bender involving snorting "k" with the local stripper.

Back