Listing FE on Resume

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini1022

Reaction score
While some of you are still anxiously hanging around the results forum, I thought you might be able to give me some input. Having just passed the FE/EIT exam, I'm trying to figure out the best way to update my resume. I know I'm allowed to put E.I.T. after my name now, but it does seem a bit funny looking at the top like that, so maybe I should just list it in the education section?

I'm about to graduate in December with my bachelors (EE), so job searching is starting pretty soon here. I'm looking at power/utility/consulting companies, all of which seem to value the FE/PE certifications pretty highly. I feel like having this exam under my belt is a little boost over those that don't, and demonstrates my intention to really go into this field. So I would like to make it pretty noticeable I think.

Any opinions?

On my resume when I was applying for jobs before graduation it looked like:

Dex, EIT

Colorado EIT - December 2002 <-- under the education section

when i first started applying i put EIT after my name too. Down at the bottom under the professional activities or whatever I put my test date that I passed.

I agree John P. Doe, EIT looks corny, but it does clearly get the point across. I'd use it on your resume -- a lot of times an employer will only skim your resume and may miss that. I'd put it after your name and uder professional accomplshments.

Definitely put EIT, there are lots of guys out there with your same degree that didnt pass the FE, use everything you can to your advantage. Do you have an EIT #? If so I would put that too

I guess times are changing. Personally, I think that the alphabet soup some people use is pretty boorish, but based on the above responses I'm inclined to say it might make sense to add "EIT". If nothing else it will force the reviewer to read your resume to see what EIT means if they are not familiar with the licensing process. So be sure to add the state and # at a Professional Registration line.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess times are changing. Personally, I think that the alphabet soup some people use is pretty boorish, but based on the above responses I'm inclined to say it might make sense to add "EIT". If nothing else it will force the reviewer to read your resume to see what EIT means if they are not familiar with the licensing process. So be sure to add the state and # at a Professional Registration line.
Good luck.
I agree with the over-use of alphabet soup that's currently available. However, if it's the only letters you've got, then I would suggest using them.

I would definately avoid things like: Dex, BSEng, PE, TCS. I have a co-worker that has probably half the alphabet available after his name, but he only uses the letters specific to the item in which he is working on (like why put CFM - certified floodplain manager - after your name when you are working on a traffic study?).

As the career counselor said to me before I graduated, "You earned those letters and only a few of your classmates did too. Use them to help set yourself apart from the crowd and show off your accomplishments."

Exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for. Thanks!
I always put it after my name (with my name in ridiculous-sized font). So, a potential employer would see at the top of the page:

[SIZE=36pt]Agg97, E.I.T.[/SIZE]

This would take up the entire page, left to right.

I always put it after my name (with my name in ridiculous-sized font). So, a potential employer would see at the top of the page:
[SIZE=36pt]Agg97, E.I.T.[/SIZE]

This would take up the entire page, left to right.
Plus you can look better than all those idiots with EI after their name...I always feel superior to them because I have more letters. Overly sized font is also the second best thing to actually being smart. Good luck building your resume...

Plus you can look better than all those idiots with EI after their name...I always feel superior to them because I have more letters. Overly sized font is also the second best thing to actually being smart. Good luck building your resume...
I say it's more important. The purpose of your resume is to grab their attention first and foremost, so they will read the rest of your resume. Next is the interview - in that phase, you still don't have to be smart, just persuasive. The only time you actually have to be smart is when you've landed the job and you actually want to keep it.

-Agg97

Rather 3 letters: EIT

or

2 letter: PE

lol (Former EI, speaking here)

Congrats on passing and ROCK THOSE LETTERS ON THAT RESUME!!

While some of you are still anxiously hanging around the results forum, I thought you might be able to give me some input. Having just passed the FE/EIT exam, I'm trying to figure out the best way to update my resume. I know I'm allowed to put E.I.T. after my name now, but it does seem a bit funny looking at the top like that, so maybe I should just list it in the education section?
I'm about to graduate in December with my bachelors (EE), so job searching is starting pretty soon here. I'm looking at power/utility/consulting companies, all of which seem to value the FE/PE certifications pretty highly. I feel like having this exam under my belt is a little boost over those that don't, and demonstrates my intention to really go into this field. So I would like to make it pretty noticeable I think.

Any opinions?
Hi Illini,

Many people here have made good suggestions. I personally did not use the initials with my name. I just didn't think being a registered EI actually entitled me to anything. Upon completion of the PE (hopefully get results tomorrow) that's a whole different story. I listed my EI in 2 places: one under my significant accomplishments, and another in my summary of qualifications. Of course, a single mention on the resume and then a callout on the cover letter would be very appropriate as well if the company is looking for an EIT/EI. I also particularly like HookEmCarolina's suggestion of the certification and number under your name. I might do it that way if I had the chance to do it over.

Whatever you do, Congratulations!

One of my bosses (long time PE) even suggested putting the EIT on business cards since it is a professional designation.

Typically I list my IE at the top of my qualifications and list the state of registration, i.e. Registered in Kansas as Intern Engineer (EIT).

I think Intern Engineer is abbreviated as IE and the abbreviation is pronounced EIT.

In Kansas you had to pass the test, then graduate and it was not until you sent a copy of your final transcript that you were actually issued a number and certificate.

Just make sure that it is mentioned on your resume, preferably with and registration #. Employers really do look for it.

Back