Construction PM References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else is buying ASCE 37-02, ACI 347, ACI 318 and MUTD. I have already spent God knows how much on Lindenburg, Ruwan and OSHA, amongst a few others. I dont have a blank check here to write to the board for all these. However at the same time, I dont want to wish I had spend the extra $50-75 when questions that require the references pop up on me.

Any advice or direction would be great!

Thanks,

Mike

I was wondering if anyone else is buying ASCE 37-02, ACI 347, ACI 318 and MUTD. I have already spent God knows how much on Lindenburg, Ruwan and OSHA, amongst a few others. I dont have a blank check here to write to the board for all these. However at the same time, I dont want to wish I had spend the extra $50-75 when questions that require the references pop up on me.
Any advice or direction would be great!

Thanks,

Mike
IMO the MUTCD is a must. If you are truly working in the Construction or even the transportation Industry, you should have this book. I would work on convincing your boss that the company needs it so that the company can front the bill.

10-4

I work in the commercial building constructin industry. So if we do things (de-acceleration lanes) or minor type work that deals with transp, we put the responsibility for traffice controls, etc. on our sub.

I will see if I can get reimburse for it tho.

Any recommendations for a construction/engineering dictionary? I came across some sample questions that were straight definitions.

Mike

The MUTCD is free! Download here: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

All you need is part 6 (I believe) - Temporary Traffic Control. Make sure you bind it for the exam.

ASCE 37-02 is covered pretty well in the AISC Steel Manual. It may be covered in one or more of your college textbooks too if you kept them.

You do need ACI 347 and 318. ACI 318 has ACI 347 material in the back of the book so you don't need both.

Like I've told you before you need all the books that are recommended. Some of the questions are just easy look up type questions and if you have the table you are good to go. If not you will be kicking yourself for not taking it. You can't judge by the references someone else needed for a prior exam. Your exam will likely be very different.

Check your local engineering school library. I was able to check out a few books by being alumni. You can also contact some of the consultants you work with. Most are more than willing to give you a hand and let you borrow their reference materials. I borrowed a bunch of books and found that other engineers were happy to help because they have been there before also.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do need references because they will ask questions, I think they will change the test and use different references. The real question is do you need all the references to get 70% + correct. The morning can be a cake walk if you know CREM 11 inside and out. Almost everything you need is there. for construction you need to know the main topics really well, excavation cut and fill, project budgeting, project scheduling, cement... that will put you over 70%.

Good luck

The MUTCD is free! Download here: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/
All you need is part 6 (I believe) - Temporary Traffic Control. Make sure you bind it for the exam.
Thanks for posting the link. That will be helpful to other future test-takers.

I will however say that even the "construction" editions of the MUTCD contain Parts 1, 5, & 6. I have both the "construction" edition and the full version, and I would highly suggest getting the full version. Alot of the rules for the construction side can be more easily found within their "normal" sections (like sign placement which is a sub-section of part 6 for construction, but is the basis of part 2).

I agree with you Dexman about having the whole thing but the NCEES Outline says only Part 6 - Temporary Traffic Control is necessary for the exam. CERM 11 also has a page or 2 on temporary traffic control but I did not find it helpful for the exam. The MUTCD Part 6 was helpful to me during the exam.

Anyone know of any decent references for crane inspections/ safety, site safety, and temporary structures? I missed the April 09 by 2 questions... and have ordered the MUTCD and a rigging handbook based on recommendations from an old thread.. but I haven't found anything decent for the above topics. I work almost exclusively on drawings and my main weakness is the practical information. Anyone have advice, or know of an engineering dictionary that doesn't cost a fortune. I work as a telecommuter on a contractual basis with my employer so I can stay at home with my kids- so no chance of reimbursal or borrowing from the office for me.

I did a google search and came up with some referances from different web sites, I believe one was a crane inspection service. There was some good detail but I did not see anywhere to use it during the exam. Let me know if you cant find anything and I will see if I can scan.

I did a google search and came up with some referances from different web sites, I believe one was a crane inspection service. There was some good detail but I did not see anywhere to use it during the exam. Let me know if you cant find anything and I will see if I can scan.
You need to know crane inspection requirements/ reasons for specific actions. I know that it isn't specifically listed as a topic.. but as after taking the exam.. without going into detail as we are forbidden by NCEES.. I'm making sure that I have this topic covered before I take the test again. If you have any good resources, please let me know. I've been harassing my co-workers but everyone gives me the 'I think" answer, or the "I'm pretty sure".

You need to know crane inspection requirements/ reasons for specific actions. I know that it isn't specifically listed as a topic.. but as after taking the exam.. without going into detail as we are forbidden by NCEES.. I'm making sure that I have this topic covered before I take the test again. If you have any good resources, please let me know. I've been harassing my co-workers but everyone gives me the 'I think" answer, or the "I'm pretty sure".

Don't foget a rigging handbook. Call a crane rental company, they will probably give you one for free.

The crane book has a section on rigging.. I saw a sample question in the Lindeburg books asking capacity of a cable used as a 'basket', etc... This book has tables/ charts, etc.. Hopefully it will be adequate.. I have spent enough on books!

Would you recommend the ACI, ASCE or Masonry bracing book? The review class i'm in said to buy them for some 'easy' look up points.. ? ?

Any feedback..

Pretty much any book you buy can be sold later for close to full price. I say, when in doubt, buy it.

(However, although I work construction, I chose to take Transportation because most trans references were already in my office and the few that weren't were easy to make a case for. The construction refs were not stuff we'd use much.)

The crane book has a section on rigging.. I saw a sample question in the Lindeburg books asking capacity of a cable used as a 'basket', etc... This book has tables/ charts, etc.. Hopefully it will be adequate.. I have spent enough on books!
Would you recommend the ACI, ASCE or Masonry bracing book? The review class i'm in said to buy them for some 'easy' look up points.. ? ?

Any feedback..

I would just google some standards. The frequency of the braces is usually a function of wall height. I would think about it only in construction applications such as the mason calls you on the phone and wants to know how high to put the braces on the wall and how many feet on center they should be. You don't need to know how to design the wall, just how to build it and brace it until the grout reaches 28 day strength.

When people have posted info on the MUTCD. I downloaded/printed Sections 1, 2, 5 & 6. Which is A LOT of information. I have always heard, a reference is not much good unless you know how to use it.. Is this exam the exception to that rule? I am about to go buy the ACI SP-4, ASCE 37-02 and the Bracing Masonry Walls during Construction. (My review class professor strongly suggested buying all three of those). Should I be pretty familiar with them.. He lead us to believe he would expect a 'look up' type PM question from a reference like that. I guess basically I feel like my time is better spent solving problems and if something crops up from one of the reference, using the index, I should be able to find it in less than 5 min? Is there a good general assumption? I have however Tabbed and highlighted the CERM and as well as my OSHA 1926 Manual..

The references for construction are hard to manage, absolutly take all the free stuff, MUTCD, OSHA, ASCE 37-02 is cheap and so is bracing, I got a rigging handbook for $15. The others are a crap shoot. Do you need to spend $150 -$200 to get one question correct, that is what its all about. I picked up a couple of construction books and some of the planning books referenced in NCEES problems (solutions sections) and got them pretty cheap, I am hoping that will be enough.

I go a couple of the more expensive references yesterday (ACI 318 )in the mail and I think they are worthless for the test, the way they are organized and indexed that unless you use them at work you will never find anything in time for the test.

All the references are worthless unless you know them well enough to find and answere a specific question.

When people have posted info on the MUTCD. I downloaded/printed Sections 1, 2, 5 & 6. Which is A LOT of information. I have always heard, a reference is not much good unless you know how to use it.. Is this exam the exception to that rule? I am about to go buy the ACI SP-4, ASCE 37-02 and the Bracing Masonry Walls during Construction. (My review class professor strongly suggested buying all three of those). Should I be pretty familiar with them.. He lead us to believe he would expect a 'look up' type PM question from a reference like that. I guess basically I feel like my time is better spent solving problems and if something crops up from one of the reference, using the index, I should be able to find it in less than 5 min? Is there a good general assumption? I have however Tabbed and highlighted the CERM and as well as my OSHA 1926 Manual..
The MUTCD is a difficult reference to use if you're not familiar with it. Yes it does have an index and a glossary to help, but if you don't know what to look-up, both of these become useless. The transportation guys can use it effectively because it's tied to their work. My past work experience forced me to memorize alot of the info within so I ended up very familiar with the rest of the manual (actually got TCS- Traffic Control Supervisor Certified). This familiarity took several months of all-day field experience directing traffic control crews on a 19 mile section of interstate highway to really learn. You definately don't need this kind of experience to use the manual, but knowing the terms and generally where to find them will help more than you would imagine. Granted this will probably only apply to 1, maybe 2, questions in the afternoon, but I wouldn't throw it away (especially since you still have almost 3 full months before the October exam).

OSHA is an easier to use safety reference because it has to be useable by everyone, not just the contractors. Familiarity with it will also help alot with finding the answer once

It's true that the construction depth is a difficult one if you don't have alot of actual field experience with a general contractor. Because construction covers everything from estimating/scheduling to transportation to structures to safety, it's difficult to lock all of the required info into a couple references.

To anyone who is undecided as to which depth they want to take: Construction is not the "easy way out." Please don't assume that since you're a general civil engineer that you can easily pass this depth. You really need to get all of the little notebooks and references and get familiar with them, especially if you don't have alot of field experience.

MY OPINION ON STUDYING:

As far as which is better between practice problems vs reference familiarity: It depends. I personally only worked the sample exam from the NCEES (yes, that's it for practice problems) just to see if I could look up the info I needed in a reasonable amount of time, and I spent most of my time reading the CERM. I read the CERM cover to cover like a novel. By the time I was ready for the exam, I could tell you within 30 seconds which page had the equations and the sample problems needed to work any problem. This is why I will swear up and down that the CERM has a very large portion of what is needed for the Construction Depth. Most of the info needed is buried in the chapters and sub-chapters of the other depths, and even in the 11th edition didn't make sense to move to the "Construction" section.

I know other people can only learn this stuff by working practice problems, and by no means am I saying their methods are wrong. They learned it how they learn best, I did it how I learn best. I just needed to know WHERE TO FIND the know-how. I personally feel it is more advantageous to know where to find the info than memorize the procedures. Memorization of procedures only works if you are tested on those particular procedures

Last edited:
The MUTCD is a difficult reference to use if you're not familiar with it. Yes it does have an index and a glossary to help, but if you don't know what to look-up, both of these become useless. The transportation guys can use it effectively because it's tied to their work. My past work experience forced me to memorize alot of the info within so I ended up very familiar with the rest of the manual (actually got TCS- Traffic Control Supervisor Certified). This familiarity took several months of all-day field experience directing traffic control crews on a 19 mile section of interstate highway to really learn. You definately don't need this kind of experience to use the manual, but knowing the terms and generally where to find them will help more than you would imagine. Granted this will probably only apply to 1, maybe 2, questions in the afternoon, but I wouldn't throw it away (especially since you still have almost 3 full months before the October exam).
OSHA is an easier to use safety reference because it has to be useable by everyone, not just the contractors. Familiarity with it will also help alot with finding the answer once

It's true that the construction depth is a difficult one if you don't have alot of actual field experience with a general contractor. Because construction covers everything from estimating/scheduling to transportation to structures to safety, it's difficult to lock all of the required info into a couple references.

To anyone who is undecided as to which depth they want to take: Construction is not the "easy way out." Please don't assume that since you're a general civil engineer that you can easily pass this depth. You really need to get all of the little notebooks and references and get familiar with them, especially if you don't have alot of field experience.
Preach on my good Man! I will definitely give you an "AMEN" on this one.

:woot:

:bananalama:

Back