Tranfmission Lines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Frontier05

The very first problem on the kaplin exam shows the probigation constant (y) shown in the solution on a short 50 line. EERM doesn't show this probigation constant in effect until long lines - which one is correct?

Thanks!

Both are correct. During the exam you will find on many questions there are two different ways to work the problem; short or long. The long way may give the most exact answer, but will take a lot of calculations. The short way may give a more approximate answer, but can be done very quickly. In this case the constant most likely does not effect he outcome much unless it is a long line.

If you work all problems to get the most "exact" answer, you will never get done.

Both are correct. During the exam you will find on many questions there are two different ways to work the problem; short or long. The long way may give the most exact answer, but will take a lot of calculations. The short way may give a more approximate answer, but can be done very quickly. In this case the constant most likely does not effect he outcome much unless it is a long line.
If you work all problems to get the most "exact" answer, you will never get done.
Thanks STL. Well, it looks like I made a classic mistake.

I don't know, I had 50 feet in mind when the problem statement actually said 50 meters which is 164 feet (making it considered a long xmission line). Units are important

:D

Back