What occupation do engineers marry?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does your spouse do?

• Engineer

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Nurse

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Teacher

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (expound below)

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters

mudpuppy

Reaction score
This topic came up at work a while back and I'm curious. The thought is that engineers often tend to marry other engineers, teachers, or nurses. Obviously this poll is only for those who are (or were) married. If your spouse doesn't presently work please specify based on what his/her main career choice is.

I married one of the administrative assistants from a company I used to work for. Pretty funny in that prior to meeting me, she swore she'd never even date an engineer.

my wife was a business major in school and has worked in HR and as an administrative assistant

My wife runs a water quality laboratory (works in the same agency I do).

I am not married, but if I had to choose, I would probably marry a stripper. Or, preferably, a string of strippers - getting a new one every time I grew tired of the lack of new things to talk about with the previous stripper.

But then again, if I could marry an engineer, who is also a stripper, that could just very well solve my dilemma......

Hmmmm......

my wife is an Occupational Therapist.

PE-ness needs a different type of therapist. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is a licensed massage therapist. She has a degree in Kinesiology from the same school I went to (University of Maryland). We were there during the same years and hung out at the same places (Cornerstone and Sante Fe bars) but never ran into each other.

My wife is a teacher; she teaches special kids. I think that's what attracted her to me.

My wife just completed her paralegal schooling, but has been a legal assistant since she got her undergrad a few years ago. And since she's preggo, she won't be looking for a defined "paralegal" job until early next year.

My wife is a teacher. Several guys in the office are married to teachers as well, and most of my friends in college were dating ed majors. I think this happens because engineering is primarily male enrollment, and education is primarily female enrollment, so we just naturally blend together.

Not married, but for those I date, there seems to be a repeating pattern here. I am not even remotely attracted to the female equivalent of myself as anything more than a friend, so they all tend to be the artsy-fartsy type, and complete space cadets. The most recent I can think of:

-Dancer going to school for pastry/baking and nutrition.

-Artist who dropped out of school and joined the army.

-Aspiring fashion designer turned business major.

-Poet/bookworm turned retail

-Artist turned teacher turned arts and crafts lady (almost married that one, yikes)

-Artist turned pharmacist

my husband is a chemist. we met at college, being a chem E, we had a lot of classes together since uof i puts big emphasis on the CHEMICAL part.

I think if you broadened up the term "nurse" to medical field you will find that there is a high correlation as well. My father is a Chem Eng and my mom is a Nurse. Go figure. Two generations of Engineer + Medical Field.

Not married but I've only dated girls who have a science education. Currently I'm dating a meteorology major in her senior year.

My fiance is an Import/Export Compliance Analyst (sounds like she smuggles drugs and/or munitions in and out of the country right?) she deals with HTS codes, ITAR, EAR, INCO terms, and all sorts of other trade regulation/licensing stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is an elementary school music teacher. She works on computers on the side (building new ones, fixing ones that are f'ed up, etc.)

Back