If you pass PE, what do you expect from your company?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlman

Reaction score
I was hoping the result would come out before July when I will be evaluated for the salary.

I was planning to ask 10~15% raise if I pass the exam.

It seems a little bit high, but I've been so underpaid with my 10 year experience. (just over entry level)

What are you guys planning if you pass it?

My friends told me that they got Max 5~10% raise, or just 1k bonus before.

Also considering this economic situation, it might be too much to ask a big raise.

good luck with that. YOu can do a search and find previous answers to this very same question. Some people, like myself got a big fat nothing for passing the test, which I knew before taking the test. I just wanted to get it out of the way.

Unless there will be a considerable responsibility increase with obtaining the PE, asking that much for just passing a test is a bit much, but different companies have different policies.

I was hoping the result would come out before July when I will be evaluated for the salary.I was planning to ask 10~15% raise if I pass the exam.

It seems a little bit high, but I've been so underpaid with my 10 year experience. (just over entry level)

Also considering this economic situation, it might be too much to ask a big raise.

I think I am going to have to agree with Snickerd... Good luck with that. I have not heard of anyone getting a 10-15% raise for passing the PE (in the Civil/Structural field). I think your friends have had a more realistic view of things. 5-8% would not be unreasonable in this market.

I got a big fat nothing also! Actually the group took me out to lunch, so technically I got about $8 for my 350 hours of study! That equates to about 2.29 cents/hour. Of course I knew this would be the case going in.

The certificate hanging on the wall does mean something to me though, so it wasn't all bad. It gives a sense of accomplishment, especially since many take the test and don't pass. And you never know, you might actually need the license to stamp drawings some day.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Anyway, I will ask for a big raise.

Besides PE, my salary is way below the average, and I've been working more than anybody except my boss.

He works until 8:00 pm everyday, and until 11:00 pm sometimes... He is workaholic.

Wish me luck!

I will let you know if I get the raise later.

I'd say 10~15% raise is not that out of the ballpark. It's a big accomplishment for one to get licensed and there are not as many licensed engineers around.

My suggestion is, if you are really underpaid, with PE under your belt you would start talking with some other folks to see if you give some better offers. Then come back to talk with your boss to see if he wants to match. If he does, and you like what you're doing, you can stay; if not, you can say adios baby.

I was hoping the result would come out before July when I will be evaluated for the salary.I was planning to ask 10~15% raise if I pass the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say 10~15% raise is not that out of the ballpark. It's a big accomplishment for one to get licensed and there are not as many licensed engineers around.
My suggestion is, if you are really underpaid, with PE under your belt you would start talking with some other folks to see if you give some better offers. Then come back to talk with your boss to see if he wants to match. If he does, and you like what you're doing, you can stay; if not, you can say adios baby.
I agree. You should know what you're worth and demand it. If that means changing companies to get it, so be it.

One of my friend got almost 17% raise last year before this depression began. (not for the PE reward)

I've been searching for job posts last couple of months, and it seems the situation is not that good.

I'm a building structure guy, and there are some posts for transportation and bridge design, but not building design.

Oh well, but I will ask for it anyway, and let's see what will happen.

with the economy as bad as it is, is it wise you walk away if you're not given a good deal? I think the license is definitely worth a higher salary but is 10-15% a deal breaker?

I'm expecting 8-10%. But I also work for a Utility which tends to not value PEs as much as the outside world.

I agree. You should know what you're worth and demand it. If that means changing companies to get it, so be it.

Ahh, the voice of reason. I am tired of Engineers settling for so little. I recently saw what almost everyone in my office makes. It was by accident. Someone sent me the wrong email.

Needless to say. Most people where paid about what I'd expect. However, some where being taken advantage of.....badly in my opinion. And they were all "long term employees".

In a good economy I would expect a license to bump you 15%. In this economy it is tough. Your company is still going to bill you at a higher rate, but you may not be busy 100% of the time.

8-10% is on the low end of what I would expect, but the Consulting Field places a premium on having your License.

Ahh, the voice of reason. I am tired of Engineers settling for so little. I recently saw what almost everyone in my office makes. It was by accident. Someone sent me the wrong email.
Needless to say. Most people where paid about what I'd expect. However, some where being taken advantage of.....badly in my opinion. And they were all "long term employees".

In a good economy I would expect a license to bump you 15%. In this economy it is tough. Your company is still going to bill you at a higher rate, but you may not be busy 100% of the time.

8-10% is on the low end of what I would expect, but the Consulting Field places a premium on having your License.
I heard California DOT was so excited to have a new class of engineers entering the work force they offered all new PE's the option of -25% or the option of leaving the state. Were there any takers?

I heard California DOT was so excited to have a new class of engineers entering the work force they offered all new PE's the option of -25% or the option of leaving the state. Were there any takers?
I got $1500 bonus and 4%+4% pay increase as well as reimbuersement of my exam reg. fee-around $300 for passing my PE.

In fact one 4% is for passing my PE and the other 4% is merit based.

I had thought it was too little but reading thru the posts it seems not that bad.

To be frank, civil is one of the underpaid professions, no wonder less and less high school students go study civil and environmental.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but:

I don't think I have ever "demanded a raise" if I thought I wasn't paid enough, I looked around, got a competing job offer and then if I liked where I was at asked that they match what the other was offering. But you can only really do this if the new job is one you are actually considering. Negotiating from a position of power is so much easier.

Personally I like to see what someone will pay me without me demanding anything. This can tell you a lot about your management.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but:
I don't think I have ever "demanded a raise" if I thought I wasn't paid enough, I looked around, got a competing job offer and then if I liked where I was at asked that they match what the other was offering. But you can only really do this if the new job is one you are actually considering. Negotiating from a position of power is so much easier.

Personally I like to see what someone will pay me without me demanding anything. This can tell you a lot about your management.
Just a smart azz remark because of all the financial trouble in Cali.

I'm hoping at least ten percent maybe twenty (merit+PE Exam if I pass). Gotta get the news first though....it will probably be close to 8% though. The ssuspense is killing me.

We have been "promised" a promotion upon getting the license. The change in salary is about 10%. Without the license, no promotion, no raise, nothing... Basically you're a worm until you pass. I really wish it didn't mean EVERYTHING. It makes it that much harder to take.

Back