Any golfers on here?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
I have been playing a ridiculous amount of golf lately (like 4 rounds last week, and at least 2 for the next 3 weeks). I've been playing with people better than me, and collecting swing tips from them. That has led to a dramatic decrease in my handicap (16 to 11 over the past year), and my first 3 rounds in the 70's. I just ordered one of those GPS deallies because it's actually starting to matter how far I am away from greens.

I was just wondering if anybody else on EB was a golf nut like myself.

Not me. Never had an interest in it. It just looks boring to me, like its a lot of standing around. I usually prefer doing something more active.

Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea.

Not me. Never had an interest in it. It just looks boring to me, like its a lot of standing around. I usually prefer doing something more active.
You say this and your avatar is Mr. Met? Can their be a sport with anymore standing around then baseball? Besides, in golf you get to drive a little cart around like a maniac. :)

Actually, if you don't get a cart, there's a lot less "standing around" and a lot more walking.

I don't play. It's too **** frustrating. For the non-players I recommend that you do it at least once (especially if you fancy yourself as a pretty athletic person), you'll gain a whole new respect for the game and the people who can play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy it. I played tons from '00-'04, eventually being able to play par a few times with some old blades an engineer at the office gave me.

I've played twice this year and didn't score well, practice makes perfect and I've little practice!

Played as a kid and liked it. Then I tore the labrum in my right shoulder on a backswing. Never had it fixed. Now if I try to golf or bowl, my arm comes out of it's socket. Needless to say, it put an end to my golf career.

one golf lesson was enough for me to say never again...and we never left the driving range. My arms were not built to play golf. my elbows tend to hyperetend which is not a good combination with a golf swing. I was in pain for a couple days after.

I just ordered one of those GPS deallies because it's actually starting to matter how far I am away from greens.
See, I just can't stand it when people try to cheapen the game with those GPS tracker deals. It allows any old hack to come on to a golf course and not appreciate the natural beauty of the various landmarks that stands as the yardage markers. But I guess I'm a purist, and appreciate the game as it was meant to be played, the same way that Byron, Sam, and Ben played the game.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to continue shopping for my new carbon graphite composite 8.5 degree titanium faced 460cc driver with weight ports. It carries my hexagonally dimpled ionomer covered ball another 15 yards to top out at 315, 320...

Yep. Purist. Playing just like Bennie, Sammy, and ole Nelson.

See, I just can't stand it when people try to cheapen the game with those GPS tracker deals. It allows any old hack to come on to a golf course and not appreciate the natural beauty of the various landmarks that stands as the yardage markers. But I guess I'm a purist, and appreciate the game as it was meant to be played, the same way that Byron, Sam, and Ben played the game.
I've made it this far without one, but a couple of things have made me change my mind....

1. I have seen a Sky Caddie being held directly over a 150 yard marker reading 175 to the middle, and on a different hole on the same course, the 150 market was 135 from the middle. Courses change, but they don't always update the landmarks.

2. They don't put measurement landmarks for hole #1 in the hole #10 fairway, which is where I usually am, if I'm in fairway at all. It's nice to be able to find a measurement from whatever stupid part of the course you find yourself in.

I've made it this far without one, but a couple of things have made me change my mind....
1. I have seen a Sky Caddie being held directly over a 150 yard marker reading 175 to the middle, and on a different hole on the same course, the 150 market was 135 from the middle. Courses change, but they don't always update the landmarks.

2. They don't put measurement landmarks for hole #1 in the hole #10 fairway, which is where I usually am, if I'm in fairway at all. It's nice to be able to find a measurement from whatever stupid part of the course you find yourself in.
I hope my attempt at humor wasn't lost.

I haven't looked into them much since they first came out in what, 2002? At that time, I don't think any of my local courses were mapped.

But, I just went to Skycaddy's website. Looks as though all the courses around me (and all in the places I lived growing up, except my home cow pas...uh, course) are mapped.

Let me know how it works out for you. I've been interested in one, but wasn't sure my game was at the point I needed it. I think my next major purchase will be a driver, cause my oversized club I bought in 1994 looks like a peanut compared to the clubs they have now. Not that bigger is better, but the advancements, I believe, are miles further than it was then as well.

I play several rounds a week. I have found the gps deals greatly speed up play with good golfers. I have also found that a gps on a sunday afternoon at public course does nothing, you have all the time in the world to walk off yardages.

I hope my attempt at humor wasn't lost.
I haven't looked into them much since they first came out in what, 2002? At that time, I don't think any of my local courses were mapped.

But, I just went to Skycaddy's website. Looks as though all the courses around me (and all in the places I lived growing up, except my home cow pas...uh, course) are mapped.

Let me know how it works out for you. I've been interested in one, but wasn't sure my game was at the point I needed it. I think my next major purchase will be a driver, cause my oversized club I bought in 1994 looks like a peanut compared to the clubs they have now. Not that bigger is better, but the advancements, I believe, are miles further than it was then as well.
No, I knew you were joking, and my response was mostly tongue in cheek as well.

I got the GPS Golf Guru (www.gpsgolfguru.com). It has rave reviews on Amazon, and I've already experienced their stellar customer service. The best part is that you buy the GPS, then you don't have to pay for yearly memberships to download courses (it's $30 to $60 per year with Sky Caddie). Also, they didn't have a course mapped that I'm going to be playing next week, so I emailed them on Memorial Day with a link to the course website...got the email today that it was mapped and ready to download (2 days...including the national holiday). I'll let you know how I like the actual GPS once it gets here and I play a round or two with it. I can get you a 5% discount on them if you are interested.

I got to have it!

Golf is good for stress according to me and self esteem. There is nothing like hitting a long drive in the fairway, even the good shots at the range bring me a ton of joy!

Engineers should be good at it. Trig. dist and measurements help my game. Practice til it's dark that's what the Pros do.

Living in the AZ helps a lot. There are so many courses and deals all over these days.

Titanium and high tech make the game more friendly.

You can play til you're 80 + that's my long term exercise plan.

I play when I can, about once a month. And I make every effort to play in every industry-sponsered "drinking, driving and 4-putting" event that pops up!

Freon

I'm not a golf "nut" but I do like to play. I didnt swing a club until my early 20's and ive never had the spare time to spend practicing much. During the summer months ill go about once a month. Not enough to be anywhere close to good but i always hit at least one great shot down the fairway, which keeps me coming back for more.

I have been playing a ridiculous amount of golf lately (like 4 rounds last week, and at least 2 for the next 3 weeks). I've been playing with people better than me, and collecting swing tips from them. That has led to a dramatic decrease in my handicap (16 to 11 over the past year), and my first 3 rounds in the 70's. I just ordered one of those GPS deallies because it's actually starting to matter how far I am away from greens.
^^^ That is not fair.

I play, just this year I've only got two 9 hole rounds in. I've been way to busy lately. (as evidenced by my low participation here recently)

I plan on adding a lot more golf in for the rest of the season. I play a Taylormade R580 driver, Maxfli revolution irons, hybrids, wedges, and Maxfli A10 putter.

I play a Taylormade R580 driver, Maxfli revolution irons, hybrids, wedges, and Maxfli A10 putter.
I have a Taylormade R7 460 driver, Adams Tight Lies GT fairway woods, King Cobra Baffler DWS hybrid, Mizuno MP-57 irons, Cleveland 588 and CG12 wedges, and a Scotty Cameron putter.

Back