Would you let your family be a "reality" show?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
I know you're mostly a bunch of dudes out there, but I bet a few of you have heard about the latest scandal involving Jon and Kate Gosselin, stars of TLC's Jon and Kate Plus 8. The show focuses on their children- a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. They reportedly get $75,000 an episode.

So it raises the question:

Would you take the money to have your lives taped?

I might be tempted. The part that really amazes me is that there's a market for this type of show.

This type of stuff makes me believe that the Idiocracy movie is more fact than fiction.

Not just no, but hell no. I wouldn't give up my privacy for any amount of money. I'm too painfully shy !!

i thought I remember seeing a headline of $25,000 an episode plus whatever they do that day.

but there is not amount of $ to get me do a reality show, if you call any of those things reality shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sign my ass up right now. Put up with that **** for a year and you're set. Or you go screw around on your wife while she's at home taking care of your 8 kids, get photographed by US Weekly, and she'll get all the money in the divorce.

For 75K an episode you can put a spy cam in the crapper for all I care! But who would want to watch an engineer at home?

Sign my ass up right now. Put up with that **** for a year and you're set. Or you go screw around on your wife while she's at home taking care of your 8 kids, get photographed by US Weekly, and she'll get all the money in the divorce.
actually...she's on the road and YOU'RE at home with 8 kids...but you still get to fool around...

I know you're mostly a bunch of dudes out there, but I bet a few of you have heard about the latest scandal involving Jon and Kate Gosselin, stars of TLC's Jon and Kate Plus 8. The show focuses on their children- a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. They reportedly get $75,000 an episode.
So it raises the question:

Would you take the money to have your lives taped?
Are you telling me there's a potential scandal just as the season premiere is about to show? Who could have predicted that there would be some controversy that would create publicity?

I think this the absolute worst type of show - the exploitation of these children is just pathetic......

My home life is too predictable and mundane to make it worth watching.
Ah yes, but the question is would you take money and allow America to see just how predictable and mundane your life is? (oh btw, they can do amazing things with editing - I would say there's a season worth of material in PigMRI alone)

Last year I would say hell no. This year...mm, not so much. $75K did you say?

Nothing worth filming for posterity going on here either. However, $75k would cover paint, interior, and a new engine for a Cessna Cardinal.

Absolutely! Between the boring bits and gratuitous nudity, they won't know what to edit first! They'll be lucky if they get five minutes of real airtime anyways.

I'd love if they'd film at work, too. I'd go out of my way to recreate most of Office Space.

Ah yes, but the question is would you take money and allow America to see just how predictable and mundane your life is? (oh btw, they can do amazing things with editing - I would say there's a season worth of material in PigMRI alone)
You know, I think you're onto something. I bet there's all sorts of people with crazy, hectic, wild lifestyles that would love to see how the other half lives.

Absolutely! Between the boring bits and gratuitous nudity, they won't know what to edit first!
Are you calling my bits and pieces boring?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the size of televisions that most of America has nowadays, I don't think anyone's bits and pieces can look uninspiring.

And for the record, I wouldn't subject my family to this. I like that Kate is freaking out about paparrazi, yet she she's okay with a whole camera crew being around all the time. For her it's just about the money.

Back