Concrete Jointing - Parking Lots & Driveways

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
I have spent numberous hours searching the internet for any reference material on how to properly place isolation and/or construction joints within a parking lot.

Just wondering if anybody has ever taken a seminar or found any reference material on this subject. I would love it if I could find some design material so that I could improve on this. Most documents or websites that I find only talk about jointing in intersections and round-abouts.

If you have anything that is helpful, please email to [email protected].

Thanks.

owillis

I'm assuming this is plain cement concrete pavement, 8" to 12" depth. The construction joints will be determined by the equipment used to construct the pavement, and the extent of the area.

For the contraction joints, I would set it up to build 24' by 24' slabs at the largest, and preferably 20' by 20' to control random shrinkage cracks.

I'd place expansion joints at any adjacent structures first. I wouldn't get crazy with expansion joints, unless you have a very large area.

Back