Best Geotech book for selfstudy and PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeR

Reaction score
What is the best book to teach oneself Soil Mechanics for the Civil PE exam? I don't have a Civil Engineering degree but need a Civil PE for my work. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree but I also do civil related work. I am looking at Geotechnical books by the following authors:

- Soil Mechanics and Foundations by Muniram Budhu

- Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das

- Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practices by Donald P. Coduto

- Analysis and Design by Joseph E. Bowles

Any recommendations from the above books or any other books would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

What is the best book to teach oneself Soil Mechanics for the Civil PE exam? I don't have a Civil Engineering degree but need a Civil PE for my work. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree but I also do civil related work. I am looking at Geotechnical books by the following authors:
- Soil Mechanics and Foundations by Muniram Budhu

- Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das

- Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practices by Donald P. Coduto

- Analysis and Design by Joseph E. Bowles

Any recommendations from the above books or any other books would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.
The book I use the most is Principles of Foundation Engineering by Das. I believe it is a companion book to the Principles of Geotechnical Engineering which I do not have. I think Das wrote an excellent book and I like his style of writing so I would recommend any book written by him. My second go to book is Foundation Engineering Handbook by Robert W. Day. This is also another great book.

I have the Bowles book you mention but I don't like it much. I didn't take it to the PE exam. I brought the Das and R. Day book. I can't really pin point why I don't like the Bowles book. Alot of Geotech engineers recommend it. (I'm a mix of structural and geotech). The book is hard to follow along and doesn't provide enough diagrams in my opinion. I just get frustrated reading it.

I also have the Geotechnical Engineerng: Principles and Practices by Coduto. I used this book during my undergrad. I think its OK. I didn't bring it to the PE exam. I thought it didn't cover enough and simplified too many things.

I am not familiar with the first book you listed. If I were to suggest 3 books I would suggest the following:

1. Principles of Foundation Engineering by Braja M. Das

2. Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das

3. Foundation Engineering Handbook by Robert W. Day

Thanks. I already orderd the Das books. Das used to be the Dean of Engineering at Sacramento State and taught a PE Geotech class at Sac State. According to a collegue of mine the passing rate was over 80%. I live in the area but unfortunately he does not teach the class.

Back