Engineers as 'mechanics'

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenim

Reaction score
Got a call from a headhunter earlier today. Said he was looking for a mechanic for Nucor. I asked him if he was looking for a mechanic, or a mechanical engineer, and he said they like to hire M.E.'s as mechanics. Actual wrench pulling mechanics. I hadn't heard this about Nucor before, can anybody confirm?

I'm 11 years out of school, got my PE in October '08, so this isn't for me.

If anyone here is interested I'll pass the headhunter's info along.

what was the pay range?

(I'll swing a wrench for 6 figures)

Last edited by a moderator:
probably a good gig for someone fresh out of school with no hands on experience.... not really a career tho.

Ditto. However, I am an Environmental Engineer who plays in the geotech field. I work on home projects, though...does that count?

Knocks me out. I can't weld. Oh well. I'll slog along at <$50k.

Don't worry about it. I'm here as a welding engineer. Most of the weldors on our job sites don't know how to weld. Right around 40% of weldors fail our basic hire-on tests.

Don't worry about it. I'm here as a welding engineer. Most of the weldors on our job sites don't know how to weld. Right around 40% of weldors fail our basic hire-on tests.
I know what you are talking about. I worked for one manufactoring company where I was more valuable to do the critical welds in the afternoon that in the office desiging new products.

We have some amazing welders at our facility... We mainly do mil spec welding so they have to be certified and they have to be good... One or two are truly artists.

I can MIG or TIG weld stainless, but its not pretty... I've done aluminum a couple times but would classify those under "fail"

I'm half way decent with a stick welder or a torch though!

Back