medical advice needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXengrChickPE

Here we go Steelers, here we go!
Reaction score
I am scheduled to have surgery to (hopefully) restore my hearing in my left ear one week from tomorrow. I have something called otosclerosis that causes the small bones in my ears to not vibrate correctly, so they don't transmit sound (same thing Grissom had on CSI). Anyway, my pre-op instructions say no CABs (or any meds except for Tylenol) for 2 weeks before surgery. I've been good so far, but I just got through a five day visit from the in-laws, and could REALLY use a drink.

Does anyone know the medical reason for the 2-weeks? It seems excessive.

I don't know, but is it really worth risking your long-term hearing for a beer? I was on some medication for 3 months that said no booze because the drug affected the liver. I lived through that, and actually lost a lot of weight in the process.

No, I don't know. But I found this on some website about another ear surgery:

Even when not taking pain medications, no alcohol for 3 weeks as it causes fluid retention.
I'd probably talk to the doctor - sounds like the kind of "important" that you don't want to screw up.

Hope all goes well in your surgery. You're in our prayers.

As for the beer... don't do it. I don't know, maybe the alcohol stays in your system and interferes with recovery.

what about a light beer? Those are practically water anyway right? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
TX, you might want to try some NA beer if you have to have the taste. That's what I'm doing. Believe it or not, Old Milwaukee NA is far better than O'Doul's.

If the doc says no CABs, I'd ditch the CABs. Not worth botching the operation for.

A while back, there were studies showing that binge drinking in the weeks prior to surgery greatly impaired the immune system, recovery process, and could also have adverse effects on the anesthesia. Originally it was encouraged that people keep the drinking of alcohol to a "minimum," but everybody has different interpretations of what minimal drinking is, so the safest route was to say don't do it altogether.

I am scheduled to have surgery to (hopefully) restore my hearing in my left ear one week from tomorrow. I have something called otosclerosis that causes the small bones in my ears to not vibrate correctly, so they don't transmit sound (same thing Grissom had on CSI). Anyway, my pre-op instructions say no CABs (or any meds except for Tylenol) for 2 weeks before surgery. I've been good so far, but I just got through a five day visit from the in-laws, and could REALLY use a drink.
Does anyone know the medical reason for the 2-weeks? It seems excessive.

For those of us who are married, hearing loss can be a blessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
TX I'd vote you stay dry until after the surgery. It sucks but it ain't worth the risks.

For those of us who are married, hearing loss can be a blessing.
ALBin You aren't by chance a poster child for wedded bliss are you?

I'd say stay dry. It's not worth the anxiety you'll be feeling when prepping for surgery... worrying if it will cause a complication while you are on the table.

That is easy then.

Scotch and water.

Vodka And Cranberry

The list could go on and on without it being carbonated.

That is easy then.
Scotch and water.
The scotch goes with the ramen. You're doing it wrong.

fail.jpg

Back