Hello from the MS Gulf Coast

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GulfCoastCivil

Don't Mess With My Oatmeal!
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of New Orleans. I'm 30, married and mom to a wonderful 2 year old little boy. I'm taking the Civil PE exam in April, depth in water resources. I started studying last December, but didn't put too much time in until late January. I wasn't sure if my state licensing board would give me the okay to sit for the April exam because I took 3 months off from work for maternity leave. So glad I beefed up in January and didn't wait for approval.

I grew up in the Greater New Orleans Area, and moved to Mississippi after graduating from college. I love Mississippi, the quality of life is so much better and I rarely get stuck in what I think of as "real" traffic. The pace of life is so much slower down here on the coast.

Hi all! I have a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of New Orleans. I'm 30, married and mom to a wonderful 2 year old little boy. I'm taking the Civil PE exam in April, depth in water resources. I started studying last December, but didn't put too much time in until late January. I wasn't sure if my state licensing board would give me the okay to sit for the April exam because I took 3 months off from work for maternity leave. So glad I beefed up in January and didn't wait for approval.
I grew up in the Greater New Orleans Area, and moved to Mississippi after graduating from college. I love Mississippi, the quality of life is so much better and I rarely get stuck in what I think of as "real" traffic. The pace of life is so much slower down here on the coast.

Glad you've decided to join us GulfCoastCivil. Good luck on the PE. I took my exam in water resources as well. It must be tough juggling parenthood, studying, and working. My wife stays home with our 3 year old and 1 year old (who was not yet around when I took the exam) and she did the lion's share of the parenting while I was studying.

As to the coastal lifestyle. I have to agree. I think it's something about the salt air. For me it's the smell of pluff mud but ya'll don't have a lot of that on the Gulf Coast.

Welcome, GulfCoastCivil, and good luck. There are quite a few Mom, PE's here. I'm cheering for you.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

It really has been tough studying and neglecting my family. My husband tries to step up, but our kid wants me. I find that I have to have one on one time with him a couple times a week or he gets really mean and irritable. It's put a bit of a damper on my after work studying, but is worth it for him to not get kicked out of daycare for biting. If it weren't for my mom and grandma there is no way I would have had as much study time behind me as it is. I load up my laundry in bags and drive it to my grandma's house every weekend, so she can do my laundry while I study. My mom watches my kid every other weekend so my husband can take care of the house and lawn (pick up my slack). Our house got really bad about a month ago, it was raining a lot, the dog was tracking in mud, etc. So my mom and grandma drove over and cleaned my house for me. They live almost 2 hours away from me. Anyway, I'm really greatful for all the help I've been getting.

While I'm giving thanks, I'm so glad my sister is following in my footsteps. She's graduating with a BS in Civil this May and is taking the FE this April. I've been able to save so much money by borrowing all her school books. I lost all my college textbooks to Katrina. All except one.

I may have moved away, but I still consider myself "coast trash". Glad to see another!

Oh, and I use the term "coast trash" as a positive term.

You have to be more specific than "Greater New Orleans Area". Those of us that were born in the sate that gave us Huey Long, Earl Long and Edwin Edwards know that how close to New Orleans and what direction from New Orleans determines your potential for being bat-**** crazy.

Freon

You have to be more specific than "Greater New Orleans Area". Those of us that were born in the sate that gave us Huey Long, Earl Long and Edwin Edwards know that how close to New Orleans and what direction from New Orleans determines your potential for being bat-**** crazy.[\quote]
Well, in that case...

"I'm from Kenna, bra!"

jmbeck ~ I took Coast Trash to be a positive term. No offense taken. I was even coast trailer trash for 6 months. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
South of the lake, near the airport: You have your own teeth! 40% chance of being bat-**** crazy!

:tardbang:

Hi there! I too am a Mom studying for the PE...it's brutal. My daughter is 18 months, and I study after we put her down at night, and on the weekends my wonderful husband pulls double duty taking care of her and the house. I'm praying to pass this time so I don't have to take so much time away from family again, the last time I took the exam was the day before I had her (what was I thinking signing up for the exam? I was hoping for a miracle, to get it over with before children...didn't quite work out that way, and it was a waste of $$ as I failed miserably!). Here's to passing this time around...good luck to you!

Holy smokes! No wonder you failed. My brain was total mush during the third trimester. Luckily work was very understanding. I would do my work, come in the next day and review it, fix my mistakes (there were a lot), then have someone else review it before sending it on it's way. I can't even imagine trying to take the PE exam with my brain in that state. And with the jumpy legs I had at the end. Hope you make it this time... good luck to you too! (or whatever the equivalent to break a leg is for engineers)

welcome to the board! we have had some new moms do real well on the test, good luck!

I did some work at Stennis airport a few years back, that's some nice country.

Holy smokes! No wonder you failed. My brain was total mush during the third trimester. Luckily work was very understanding. I would do my work, come in the next day and review it, fix my mistakes (there were a lot), then have someone else review it before sending it on it's way. I can't even imagine trying to take the PE exam with my brain in that state. And with the jumpy legs I had at the end. Hope you make it this time... good luck to you too! (or whatever the equivalent to break a leg is for engineers)

Ah, so you've been to "the kill" (Kiln, MS) Did you see the worship mural to Brett Favre?

I heard about it. Had some catfish and hushpuppies at a little shack near there. do you develop a super gall bladder from eating all that fried food?

I heard about it. Had some catfish and hushpuppies at a little shack near there. do you develop a super gall bladder from eating all that fried food?
I never thought about it, but I guess we do, along with our dulled taste buds from all the spicy food.

Hope it's OK to pick up an old thread - just wanted to say "hey" to GulfCoastCivil from upstate. Hope your test went well, also!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back