PE minimum salary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EdinNO

OK, just an off-the-cuff, feeling sort of answer: What do you feel should be the minimum salary for a PE?

Yes, it will vary based on location, discipline, experience, industry and present job function. I just want to hear what you think, in general as the bottom line.

Here are my thoughts for Louisiana:

Graduate with 4 years experience and PE- $60,000

Graduate with 8 years experience and PE- $70,000

Graduate with 12 years experience and PE- $80,000

I think these are minimums. No one with these credentials should accept less in this region. I think higher salaries are certainly warranted.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ed

Last edited:
I have five years, work for the state, and have my PE, and I am no where close. :angry:

Hey guys. I'm not there either.

I think we should be though. I see too many other people makeing that kind of money even without degrees or even just associates degrees and doing work not even in their fields.

I just think we should be at the levels I mention. I'm not there either though.

Ed

Also consider that I am hearing more reports of fresh grads asking for and even getting $50K plus.

About 3 or 4 years ago I hired two recent or fresh grads at $45K each in Houston.

Add 10 years expereince and a PE on top of that and $60 or $70K doesn't sound unreasonable.

Ed

Last edited:
New grads we interview in Atlanta all want $40- $50K most with zilch in terms of experience. And thats for Civil!

You guys with PE's and at least 5-6 years experience should be close to $60 minimum.IMO it should be more like $70-$80... I know every region is different though.

I just got a call from a friend of mine , she was bitching she only got a 2.5% raise, she has her PE, 10 years expereince, is making about $90K. :dunno: I told her she should quit her job and start having babies, but I guess I am old fashioned... :BK:

Last edited by a moderator:
DIAZWV,

Hope this helps bro. I did a few from Bridgeport's Zip Code

Salary6.jpg

Salary5.jpg

Salary4.jpg

Salary3.jpg

Salary2.jpg

Salary1.jpg

What level engineer would I be. I mean my job class at work is a Highway Engineer II but that is state babble.

What level engineer would I be. I mean my job class at work is a Highway Engineer II but that is state babble.
Either way, my salary is very competitive with a CAD Drafter. :unsure:

I took a look at that salary.com site. I'll just say that I'm a little more pleased with what I'm making now. I'm right at the median.

You could make this money or even more here in California. Of course, the housing is so expensive you'll have to live in Montana and commute.

I see one's salary as what you need to maintain you standard of living. If you make 100K but are miserable for 240 days out of the year, is it really worth it? Hell no! Try to find a place where you enjoy your work and it does'nt take over your life. You will be much happier and live longer if you find a rewarding job, rather than stressing out all week, making a bunch of money and having to blow it over 2 days of the weekend, only to dread Monday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back