MATERIAL TESTING

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDE

Intelligent Warrior
Reaction score
i have been looking for the methods/technique of the Weld and Bolt Testing of steel structures.

am seriously looking for the BOLT TESTING. please share... thanks.

What is it you're looking for? Quality control measures, physical properties such as tensile strength, hardness, etc., or...? We can probably help more with some specifics.

look up ASTM and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test methods

Hi Supe!

am struggling to find the methods and requirements in structural testing on STEEL BOLTS.

i want to know the torque required for final tightening of bolt and the standard allowable stress.

OR: the methods and procedures for the testing... thanks for your concern.

thanks BluSkyy. i am trying to figure out how they do the BOLT TESTING in steel structures.

this might come out in the exam for the MATERIAL TESTING. In my belief also, there is a certain angle of final torque, say 1/2 or 3/4 or ??? clockwise. please advice...

I accept your challenge...for structural welded and bolted connections, try
http://www.aisc.org/store/p-1562-design-gu...-engineers.aspx

and

http://www.aisc.org/store/p-1577-design-gu...-engineers.aspx

for a starting point.

I have to admit your question seems pretty broad.

Try this: http://www.boltcouncil.org/files/FinalRepo...BoltsPhase1.pdf

This is assuming you mean "testing" as verification in the installed condition. You can test the physical characteristics of the bolt beforehand with a variety of methods such as bolt stretch, etc. As for welds, MT, PT, UT, RT, and VT are the most common methods on a construction site, but there are oodles and oodles more. Check with ASNT on weld inspection methods.

ASTM F606 - 07 Standard Test Methods for Determining the Mechanical Properties of Externally and Internally Threaded Fasteners, Washers, Direct Tension Indicators, and Rivets

I would need to see the details but this specification should allow you to identify the class of fastener by testing its properties

ASTM A325 - 09 Standard Specification for Structural Bolts, Steel, Heat Treated, 120/105 ksi Minimum Tensile Strength

A325 is a common specification criteria for structural bolts. This standard will provide the basis for confirming that a specific bolt actually meets this criteria.

F959 Specification for Compressible-Washer-Type Direct Tension Indicators for Use with Structural Fasteners

Althought likely not directly applicable to your application this specification covers the certifications of devices used to measure the tension in installed bolts (which is what I believe you are after).

Here's an example of such a tester:

ultrasonic tension device

Using torque to qualify proper pre-load in not very reliable. Torque obviously is dependent on the friction between the bolt head and the washer or surface below it. This can vary widely, meaning that the actual tension/preload in the bolt may vary widely for the same measured torque on bolt head.

Check with AISC. Search for "measure bolt preload"

Hope this helps.

MA PE & Supe, thanks for your reply. I am almost there, what you gave me are very informative. I need to find more the actual methods of quality control and testing on site for structural bolts.

Gents,

I finally find the answer to my problem. I should have asked about the "Turn-on-Nut Method".

Do not forget to refresh yourself on welding symbols. It will not only save you from a bawling out by the bridge superitendent but what construction test would not include welds?

Do not forget to refresh yourself on welding symbols. It will not only save you from a bawling out by the bridge superitendent but what construction test would not include welds?
ElCid

Would you please give a reference material for welding symbols?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
AWS/ANSI A2.4 is your best resource for welding symbols.

Welding symbols are covered in the Welding section of the CERM which is under Structural. I believe there are also welding symbols in the AISC Steel Manual.

Grasshopper! I would encourage you listen to supe and print out his recommended reference. The CERM only has the basic weld symbols and none of the fancy stuff.

Back