References for the Construction Depth - Page 2 - Construction Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

References for the Construction Depth

I would also suggest printing off and getting familiar with at least section 6 of the MUTCD. It's not for the planning/scheduling parts, but it is a helpful reference for traffic control.

Edited by Dexman PE

Thanks guys. I forgot to list it but I did print out the MUTCD - part 6. Also, can anyone refer me to a solid text for the scheduling and CPM, PMP networks? I have never worked with them before, nor have I scheduled. Although I have set back schedules before :bananapowerslide:

Here is a list of the references I used for the Civil PE Construction Depth. I used each book at LEAST once for my exam in October.

CERM

Design Loads on Structures During Construction (ASCE 37)

Formwork for Concrete (ACI SP-4)

Guide to Formwork for Concrete (ACI 347, this is included with ACI SP-4)

MUTCD Part 6

OSHA for the Construction Industry

National Design Specifications for Wood Construction

For ASCE 37, ACI SP-4 (and ACI 347), and the MUTCD Part 6, I was able to find PDF's to download on the internet. Some sites were fairly sketchy and I highly recommend a good antivirus before you go looking for files to download. I might be able to find where my pdf's came from if someone needs help.

Since I work for a state DOT as a construction engineer, I have contact with construction contractors on a daily basis. I simply asked one of their engineers if they had an extra OSHA manual lying around that I could borrow or rent from them.

I also bought the CERM for the Construction Depth (or something like that), it was just over $100 and was less than 200 pages long. Another engineer that I work with also bought this, we felt like largely it was a waste of money. Most material was just copied from the large CERM. Hopefully the next edition of the smaller book is better.

Here is a list of the references I used for the Civil PE Construction Depth. I used each book at LEAST once for my exam in October.

CERM

MUTCD Part 6

For ASCE 37, ACI SP-4 (and ACI 347), and the MUTCD Part 6, I was able to find PDF's to download on the internet. Some sites were fairly sketchy and I highly recommend a good antivirus before you go looking for files to download. I might be able to find where my pdf's came from if someone needs help.

Since I work for a state DOT as a construction engineer, I have contact with construction contractors on a daily basis. I simply asked one of their engineers if they had an extra OSHA manual lying around that I could borrow or rent from them.

I also bought the CERM for the Construction Depth (or something like that), it was just over $100 and was less than 200 pages long. Another engineer that I work with also bought this, we felt like largely it was a waste of money. Most material was just copied from the large CERM. Hopefully the next edition of the smaller book is better.

I feel the same way about the Construction Depth Manual. I got the impression that it was rather hastily put together to meet a publication date goal. I think that with further editions this book will become a useful manual for the civil-construction exam. There are a few gems in the present edition, but right now, it is not worth the money.

CERM

MUTCD Part 6

I feel the same way about the Construction Depth Manual. I got the impression that it was rather hastily put together to meet a publication date goal. I think that with further editions this book will become a useful manual for the civil-construction exam. There are a few gems in the present edition, but right now, it is not worth the money.

I think you may be right about the publication date. I don't RECALL seeing it when I first ordered my materials (Early June), but saw it sometime in late September. I didn't want to buy it, but I wasn't going to miss out on passing the test because I was too cheap to pay another $130.

It would be nice if a 6 minute solutions for Construction came out. Of course, there is a lot of overlap in Geotech, Structures and Transpo.....

Has anyone used and had success with Construction Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam by Thomas Korman PhD PE PLS (Aug 28, 2011)? I am wondering if it is worth the buy.

Here is what I used for success on Const Depth in no particular order:

1. CERM

2. NCEES Sample problems (Construction)

3. Nunnally "Construction Methods & Management"

4. Mamlouk "Materials for Civil & Construction Engineers"

5. CERM Const. Depth Manual

6. Ruwan Books

7. School of PE Construction Notes (AM & PM)

8. All NCEES listed Const. Design Standards (you need all of them)

Don't think you can pass on some of the Design Standards...you need them & you need to know them. I used 6 of the 9 directly on the exam and would have missed points if I did not have them. My guess is that the ones I did not use could easily be of need on the next exam. Know how to use the OSHA Manual for engineering types of questions.

As far as CERM Const. Depth Manual goes, it really is not a "stand alone" reference, has no practice problems, and is really of no help without other references...but it does have some gems. Maybe future editions will be better.

Const. 6 Minute Solutions was not available so I don't know how it compares, but my guess is that any source of construction engineering problems to work is going to be very beneficial.

Don't waste time with reading construction administration stuff....it will be of little use.

NCEES Sample Problems will give you the best idea of what you are up against.

1. NCEES Sample Problems...it lists the references they used to solve the problems. I took several of the "textbooks" that used in the solutions and I ended up using those books more than the CERM only because I was familliar with them. Several of the reference textbooks I used in graduate school. If you are not familiar with them they won't help.

2. CERM

3. ACI Formwork book with ACI 347-04...used this one a lot on the April 2012 exam.

4. AASHTO Green Book - tables are faster than calculations in my opinion

5. OSHA 1926 Several questions on each exam about OSHA. If you have taken an OSHA 10/30/40 hour class take the other reference materials as well.

6. MUTC good for a few answers...if you bring it.

7. Peurifoy et al, Construction Planning, Equipment, and Methods. I wish I had the estimating textbook, but I didn't.

8. Nunnally Construction Methods and Management

9. AISC Steel Manual - weld symbols, Moment of Inertia

10. Any text book by Ven Te Chow - Hydrology, Open Chanel Hydraulics

11. Das - Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering

12. PCA Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures

13. My Hibbler Structural Engineering textbook because I knew where all the shear and moment diagrams were

I do not think that the NDS timber design guides are needed. That would be 4 books to study for very few problems

A civil engineering dictionary might be beneficial for some of the definition type questions...I don't have one, but I wish I would have

Don't use books that you aren't familiar with because you will burn time. However if there are a few questions that you guess on and will come back to and you have plenty of time, you may want to dig through some of your extra books to find an answer. Make sure you answer every question as you get to it even if you have to guess. You don't want to hear "5 minutes left" and realize that your answers are off a line because you skipped a question.

Make sure you answer every question as you get to it even if you have to guess. You don't want to hear "5 minutes left" and realize that your answers are off a line because you skipped a question.

Sledge,

I agree with almost everything you said, except your last point. My strategy was to read each question in order. If I knew how to do it I did. If not and/or it appeared to take a lot of time I skipped it and circled the question number on my answer sheet. This prevented me from mistakingly bubling answers for a different question. It worked great. Guessing along the way might evoke a false sense of confidence and one forgets to circle back to them later. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

Is the book by Puerifoy, "Estimating Construction Costs" useful? I haven't seen any recommendations on this or other good estimating books to use as references.

Very useful. Use this for production calculations and pump problems. Also, Peurifoy's explanation on bank volume calcs/water requirements/bank density vs. loose density is the best I've ever seen. Clear and concise. It can be useful for AM problems as well. Absolutely get this book.

Thanks for the tip on the estimating book. Any recommendations for good scheduling books that have the same format as NCEES problems?

All:

Grab any and all practice problems and use the above references while you study, especially the NCEES Practice Exams. Write your solutions down clearly and concisely, and mark where you found the reference information – you will be able to use these solutions during the exam if you put them into an organized binder and tab them so you can quickly reference your material. Organize your reference material around you during your study sessions similar to how you will have it during the exam (i.e., books on the floor in your bag and a couple books on the table in front of you, or in your box crates, etc.).

Best of luck,

passthecivilPE

www.passthecivilPE.com - Special Discount NOW on the new passthecivilPE Guide Book

Has anyone purchased passpe.com's Construction PE Depth Review Module by Dr. Shahin Mansour? I found it while using Google... just wondering if anyone has used it and likes it or if it isn't worth the money...?

Link to the module is listed below...

http://035a5f2.netsolstores.com/constructionpackage1amtopics-1-1.aspx

Unfortunately I bout it about a week before the test and I wished I'd had it all along!!! I would saved myself ALOT of money!!! I found this book to be one of the most useful and helpful ... it goes over all the construction AM & PM topics with beautifully typed up notes and awesome problems ... I HIGHLY recommend getting both the AM & PM constuction reference book and the practice problems ... i didn't get the CDs so I don't know about those but the books were about $130+shipping ... best 130 you could spend for construction, imo ... very comprehensive too!!!

• Like 1

My reply would be late but for the sake of people who will take the future Construction Module, I will recommend the Construction Module book of Dr. Shahin Mansour. I used it, I passed. Try solving other problems from other books/references and use Mansour's reference to fully familiarize yourself. The book of Rjapanske (???) is a joke !

Currently building references to study for April 2014 exam, but have a few questions I thought someone might be able to help answer!

1. For NDS Wood Design, 2005 or 2012? NCEES website says 2005 but seems like it would have been updated by now?

2. Steel Construction Manual, 13th or 14th edition? I have the 13th edition from undergrad, tabbed, and noted. Also NCEES says 13th edition, but I read that some people get the 14th edition. Any thoughts on the differences that might affect an exam taker?

3. ACI 318-08. I currently have ACI 318M-08 from my undergrad, tabbed and noted. I think the M just means "metric". Is this going to be a huge issue or can I just convert?

4. OSHA 29CFR 1926. I see a 2008 and 2012 version on Amazon, any thoughts not the differences?

I've been skimming the forums and see some good stuff on other references, but was quite worried about all these "version" questions based on the NCEES reference list.

Thanks for any help!!

Andrew

Andrew, in general I usually suggest just buying what the ncees website tells you to. You probably won't get anything wrong, but there may be one question. If i were you this is what i would do,

1. get the 2012 NDS version, you will probably only use this book one or twice and a newer version he better, also ncees wil probably update to this version soon, so for resale value this is better.

2. keep The steel manual you have- 13th.

3. Get the ACI 318-08, and not the metric. It won't be a huge issue but might make your life a little easier during he test.

4. Get the OSHA version 2012 just make sure it is 29CFR1926.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Mark

bring all the reference code book listed on ncees website.

for the depth test, u need those codes/references for OSHA, roadway construction, concrete construction.

I didn't have SP-4 reference book, and i missed 2 simple questions which u can get answer from books directly.

every question counts.

On 8/4/2009 at 8:17 PM, ElCid03 said:

This avatar is not fair!

Hey ElCid...CITADEL '06 Grad here..what company were you in sir?!