School of PE? (environmental PE course)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any body use these guys or know of someone who did? Unfortunately this spring they do not have an in-person review course for Environmental Engineering, only a live webcast:http://www.schoolofpe.com/registration.asp
ktulu used them for the Civil exam, water resources/enviro exam. I used the NC State review course DVDs (I live in the mountains, and no in-person class was offered near me). I found the DVDs to be VERY useful; they helped me focus my study efforts on what was likely to be on the exam. I highly recommend taking a review course of some kind.

I didn't use either a course (live on an island) or a DVD (wasn't available yet). But if I could, I would. Anything that increases your odds of passing the first time is worth the money, to me. But it's not absolutely necessary, if you're good at studying and are able to commit enough time.

ktulu used them for the Civil exam, water resources/enviro exam. I used the NC State review course DVDs (I live in the mountains, and no in-person class was offered near me). I found the DVDs to be VERY useful; they helped me focus my study efforts on what was likely to be on the exam. I highly recommend taking a review course of some kind.
OK I'll see if my company will pay for at least part of it... I'm not positive they'll cover it since it's not a university course (though a local school does offer Civil Review classes and I might get a colleague to tape record the water review portion).

I saw you passed, FLBuff - congrats!! As you can see, I am buckling down on studying a little late...

I didn't use either a course (live on an island) or a DVD (wasn't available yet). But if I could, I would. Anything that increases your odds of passing the first time is worth the money, to me. But it's not absolutely necessary, if you're good at studying and are able to commit enough time.
Thanks for the tip. I think I can study decently as long as I have some imposed structure and schedule, and having a class will help me have structure. Otherwise, I'll just be tempted to play Guitar Hero or something. (and I'll still be tempted since it's an online webcast!)

Hope living on an island is nice this time of year.

OK I'll see if my company will pay for at least part of it... I'm not positive they'll cover it since it's not a university course (though a local school does offer Civil Review classes and I might get a colleague to tape record the water review portion).
I saw you passed, FLBuff - congrats!! As you can see, I am buckling down on studying a little late...
You aren't starting late, per se. Don't get too hung up on AMOUNT of time studying. It is more important to on how you spend that time. I spent probably around 500 hours total study time my first go around, and failed b/c it was not quality study time. I was working problems, but not really absorbing the material. This time (trial #3), I spent about half of that time studying, but really honed in on what my weaknesses were. I highly recommend getting the NCEES sample exam, and running through it at the beginning (before you study) and getting an idea of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Then focus on the weaknesses; but don't forget to review your strengths as well! Also, the NCEES sample exam is NOT the end all be all of prep; get your hands on as many proclems as possible so that you are exposed to the different ways the material could be presented to you on the exam. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I think I can study decently as long as I have some imposed structure and schedule, and having a class will help me have structure. Otherwise, I'll just be tempted to play Guitar Hero or something. (and I'll still be tempted since it's an online webcast!)
Hope living on an island is nice this time of year.
Like I said, if you have the money available to take the course (or buy the DVDs), I would do it. This is an investment, and as soon as you have those two initials after your name, you will forget how much it cost. A course may help you get there sooner and with less heartache, and that's worth a lot, to me.

and yes, it is nice living on an island this time of year. B) Except for the salary. :(

Any body use these guys or know of someone who did? Unfortunately this spring they do not have an in-person review course for Environmental Engineering, only a live webcast:http://www.schoolofpe.com/registration.asp

I am signed up for this course. I too was a little curious about how effective a strictly online course could be, but we'll have to wait and see. I have a feeling from the book list they probably pick problems out of the sample PE question books and go through them in detail and variations of the same problem we may see, just my thought.

I am signed up for this course. I too was a little curious about how effective a strictly online course could be, but we'll have to wait and see. I have a feeling from the book list they probably pick problems out of the sample PE question books and go through them in detail and variations of the same problem we may see, just my thought.
OK good - so I won't be alone! I did end up registering for the class, and I got it approved to be paid for by my company, yay.

Too bad it's all online though.

FYI... for anyone interested in taking the class this fall - I just finished the second week of the Env PE course and it's actually not bad for an online class. I've already learned and refreshed/reviewed a lot from the course. They also seem to have a lot of advice with respect to general test content and general tips. Basically, so far I'm pleased I signed up, even if it means I don't have a life on the weekends.

Come test day, I'll let you know if the advice they gave was spot on or not.

Anybody else want to share their thoughts, if you've taken it previously or are currently in it?

GT Joy, I would appreciate you continuing to offer your opinion of the School of PE class, especially a final opinion after we take the April exam. I was debating signing up for this class and chose not to because I couldn't justify the full time on the weekends...didn't think my husband and my 2 year old would appreciate it much. As it is, I try to study when my son is napping or sleeping or doing "man-things" with my husband. However, if (God help me) I don't pass in April, I may rethink the 'School of PE' class for the October exam. Basically, thanks for the opinions and keep them coming! ;-)

GT Joy, I would appreciate you continuing to offer your opinion of the School of PE class, especially a final opinion after we take the April exam. I was debating signing up for this class and chose not to because I couldn't justify the full time on the weekends...didn't think my husband and my 2 year old would appreciate it much. As it is, I try to study when my son is napping or sleeping or doing "man-things" with my husband. However, if (God help me) I don't pass in April, I may rethink the 'School of PE' class for the October exam. Basically, thanks for the opinions and keep them coming! ;-)
Yeah, giving up my weekends has been really tough, and I wish we had started the sessions earlier now that I'm learning better what I need to study and review. I don't have kids yet but I know that would be tough. Fortunately the husband has been really supportive and he'll do the housework, read stuff or play video games :) . The other downside is after a 6-7 hour session, I don't really feel like studying any more on Saturday night! Whereas if I broke it up in chunks (say 10 am-12 pm, then go run errands or decompress, then 2 pm-5pm, then have dinner, then go to a coffee shop to study from 6-9 pm), I think I could handle it better.

Back