Putting P.E. after your name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterGirl

Reaction score
I am so happy to have passed the exam. Can I edit my email signature at work from EIT to PE?

Are there any legal ramifications to it? Of course I do not have the number yet. No certificate yet....

But I passed the exam!!!!

I am so happy to have passed the exam. Can I edit my email signature at work from EIT to PE? Are there any legal ramifications to it? Of course I do not have the number yet. No certificate yet....

I did already. I have no idea if it is allowed, but what the hey.

You are in a transitional state; sort of like a caterpillar in a cocoon.

At this time, you may only add an "E" after your name.

By the way, congratulations.

I am so happy to have passed the exam. Can I edit my email signature at work from EIT to PE? Are there any legal ramifications to it? Of course I do not have the number yet. No certificate yet....

It depends on the state. Florida is actually pretty strict. In Florida, you are not a P.E. until you have a valid Florida P.E. number. I have a coworker who ran into a situation where he passed the Virginia PE exam and started using the title on his email. He then emailed a question to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers to ask a question about getting his P.E. in Florida. He was told by the board representative that he was not able to the term PE in Florida until he had his Florida PE even though he had a valid Virginia PE number because his address is in FL and is practicing in FL. Better check with your state but I would bet that you cannot, or at least until you have the number. I would imagine that there could be some legal ramification if something were to go wrong between now and when you get the number. By putting PE in your title, you are saying that you are a Board Certified Engineer. That is not the case if you do not have a number. I now look at it as I am able to use the title Bridge Engineer as opposed to Bridge Designer. I just cannot put PE until the number comes out but hopefully that should be in the next week or so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You are in a transitional state; sort of like a caterpillar in a cocoon.
At this time, you may only add an "E" after your name.

By the way, congratulations.
I have been wondering to write PE next to my name too but wasn't sure. Called NJ Board today about License Number and I was told it would take another 2 months.....guess I will put it anyway...

I put it on my signature block. you won't be stamping plans until you get your number, don't sweat it.

and why would anyone want to practice in Florida?

It depends on the state. Florida is actually pretty strict. In Florida, you are not a P.E. until you have a valid Florida P.E. number. I have a coworker who ran into a situation where he passed the Virginia PE exam and started using the title on his email. He then emailed a question to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers to ask a question about getting his P.E. in Florida. He was told by the board representative that he was not able to the term PE in Florida until he had his Florida PE even though he had a valid Virginia PE number because his address is in FL and is practicing in FL. Better check with your state but I would bet that you cannot, or at least until you have the number. I would imagine that there could be some legal ramification if something were to go wrong between now and when you get the number. By putting PE in your title, you are saying that you are a Board Certified Engineer. That is not the case if you do not have a number. I now look at it as I am able to use the title Bridge Engineer as opposed to Bridge Designer. I just cannot put PE until the number comes out but hopefully that should be in the next week or so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Colorado also does not allow a company to advertise professtional services that it is not licensed for in Colorado. For example, my company has licenced architects in Texas, but none in Colorado and consequently we can't hang our company sign that says "Engineering, Architecture, Survey, Planning" in CO until we have a CO licenced architect on staff.

I'm not 100% sure if these same rules apply to the title PE or not, but the CO PE #'s were released last week sometime, so it's not really an issue until June-July again.

VA allows you to use it immediately. The number is issued with the passing letter ( its your applicant number). dunno about other states, but i think it's a silly rule. Wouldn't be like saying I can't drive in a state if I have an out of state license?

VA allows you to use it immediately. The number is issued with the passing letter ( its your applicant number). dunno about other states, but i think it's a silly rule. Wouldn't be like saying I can't drive in a state if I have an out of state license?
Theoretically, if one state permits a kid to get a kdriver's license at 16 yo but another state won't license someone until they're 17 then the 16 yo would be driving without a license in the other state. I'm not familiar with individual state driver's licensing programs and this may actually be true for some circumstanes. However, I believe that most state DMV's have elected to honor the other DMVs licenses so the "underage" driver is still allowed to drive in the other state.

The same situation exsits with engineering licenses but a lot of state boards are not as liberal as th DMVs. Laws vary from state to state, but more and more states are not recognizing other state PE licenses within thier bounds. The Boards commonly go so far as to say that you cannot represent ourself as being an engineer inthier state unless you have a license issued by them.

Our company poilcy is that inorder to put PE after your name you need to include the state of licensure so it's clear where you are a PE. TYhis is similar to lawyers whho put the state where they are admitted to the bar.

You are not allowed to use the title if you're not REGISTERED... passing the examination is only only part in three required for registration. Even if you've gotten all three, it's up to the state board to register you.

If you use the title without registration, you're technically in violation of most (all?) state laws and could be held accountable. Is it likely anyone would ever have or make a problem with this? Doubtful!

Theoretically, if one state permits a kid to get a kdriver's license at 16 yo but another state won't license someone until they're 17 then the 16 yo would be driving without a license in the other state. I'm not familiar with individual state driver's licensing programs and this may actually be true for some circumstanes. However, I believe that most state DMV's have elected to honor the other DMVs licenses so the "underage" driver is still allowed to drive in the other state.
The same situation exsits with engineering licenses but a lot of state boards are not as liberal as th DMVs. Laws vary from state to state, but more and more states are not recognizing other state PE licenses within thier bounds. The Boards commonly go so far as to say that you cannot represent ourself as being an engineer inthier state unless you have a license issued by them.

Our company poilcy is that inorder to put PE after your name you need to include the state of licensure so it's clear where you are a PE. TYhis is similar to lawyers whho put the state where they are admitted to the bar.
I think the drivers license issue is still one of reciprocity. There's something called the "interstate compact on driver's license reciprocity", though I'm not sure how it works.

I found this Regulation of Professions by Interstate Compact article an interesting read...

Yeah, the only safe way is to identify the jurisdiction with the title... but I wonder how many people get into trouble so long as they're licensed in the state they're working. Now federal employees are a different matter, especially those of us that move from state to state often.

You are not allowed to use the title if you're not REGISTERED... passing the examination is only only part in three required for registration. Even if you've gotten all three, it's up to the state board to register you.
What do you consider the three parts? The way I count I see more like five, at least in my state:

1. Complete the required education (ABET engineering degree)

2. Pass FE

3. Gain the required work experience

4. Obtain references

5. Pass PE

Numbers 3 & 4 are related and could arguably be combined, but I list them separately because there are some people that have #3 without being able to get #4.

Wondered about this topic myself. The letter from my state (AL) board says:

"We are pleased to advise" yada yada yada "and the Board has approved your application for licensure as a Professional Engineer."

However, it goes on to say that a license number and card will mailed and "When the card is received, you are qualified to practice engineering as defined in Alabama Law."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back