April '09 Roll-Call

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgewoman7

Reaction score
I know it's a couple of months away and not everyone has received results from last fall, but how about a roll call of those who are preparing to take the April '09 exam. That way, we can start trading questions or advice.

I'm debating between Geotech and Structural depths - first time taking exam. My daily specialty is structural steel design and engineering for heavy highway construction field ops, but I have a minor in geotech. Geo depth has no references, saving me a bundle in $$. Any advice?

I'm in. I've started studying for the construction depth but could just puke over all of the structural crap (sorry SE's). I went looking at what people had to say about the water/enviro since that is my most recent experience, but then I stumbled upon jrs6767 comment about that test being evil last Oct. Of course, that was before being added to the banner. So now I'm back to construction. My motive was the money too but it looks like I can dump the books later without much trouble. Good luck in April. I'm slowly feeling the life being sucked outta me.

I know it's a couple of months away and not everyone has received results from last fall, but how about a roll call of those who are preparing to take the April '09 exam. That way, we can start trading questions or advice.
I'm debating between Geotech and Structural depths - first time taking exam. My daily specialty is structural steel design and engineering for heavy highway construction field ops, but I have a minor in geotech. Geo depth has no references, saving me a bundle in $$. Any advice?
Having just taken and passed the Civil/Structural exam last October, my opinion would be to take the section you are most familiar with before studying. If for no other reason, you should have a better feel for what the "reasonable" answer would be. The book thing really wasn't an issue for me. I know enough people around the office and in a few surrounding offices that I was able to borrow all of the books that I did not have personally. Is there anyone in your office that just graduated from college? They may have an updated code from a recent class? The only book that I studied in real detail, and bought for the exam, was the CERM. That was so that I could make my own notes and references in it. Just my thoughts.

I have two co-workers prepping for April. One will be taking transpo and the other will be taking water resources. GL to all those getting ready.

WR/ENV for me, I think. I am bogged down in getting through the structural portion for the am. Not that it is that bad, but it has been a long time since I have touched a steel or concrete book.

I am curious, about how much time per week is everyone putting in?

I am in for April 2009 (CA) with Tranportation depth. First time taker as well.

I do structural and construction management on a daily basis and failed the structural because I didn't know/have the design codes the structural afternoon requires. I took the geotech the second time and passed. Geotech is very intuative and easy to learn compared to some of the other PM sections. At the very least it will increase you knowledge of geotech, it's actually pretty interesting.

I left 15 on the table in the afternoon on structural due to lack of knowledge of the code and had to hope I got everything else right, I didn't. If you are comfortable with most of the codes go for it but if not play the numbers and go geotech. I felt I had a shot at every question on the geotech as compared to the structural.

SECOND TIME APRIL 09 GEO.

FRIST TIME I FAILED CONSTRUCTION

I do structural and construction management on a daily basis and failed the structural because I didn't know/have the design codes the structural afternoon requires. I took the geotech the second time and passed. Geotech is very intuative and easy to learn compared to some of the other PM sections. At the very least it will increase you knowledge of geotech, it's actually pretty interesting.
I left 15 on the table in the afternoon on structural due to lack of knowledge of the code and had to hope I got everything else right, I didn't. If you are comfortable with most of the codes go for it but if not play the numbers and go geotech. I felt I had a shot at every question on the geotech as compared to the structural.
Thanks for the advice. I'm familiar with the steel codes, but no concrete ones. After studying the past couple of weeks, I think I'm going with geotech. I want to pass on my first try *crossing fingers*!

Good luck to all!

WR/ENV for me, I think. I am bogged down in getting through the structural portion for the am. Not that it is that bad, but it has been a long time since I have touched a steel or concrete book.
I am curious, about how much time per week is everyone putting in?
Don't worry too much about the AM Structural stuff...most likely it will be very basic.

Don't worry too much about the AM Structural stuff...most likely it will be very basic.
Right, if you can draw a basic shear & moment diagram and a little truss stuff you'll be okay.

Right, if you can draw a basic shear & moment diagram and a little truss stuff you'll be okay.

You also will need a basic understanding of the critical path diagram, the CERM coverage is enough. Also, understand the difference between live and dead load. If you're taking the WR afternoon, you'll need to understand weirs, hydraulic jump, dilution, and flow in open channels. I'd also bring an Environemental dictionary to pick off one or two definition answers.

You also will need a basic understanding of the critical path diagram, the CERM coverage is enough. Also, understand the difference between live and dead load. If you're taking the WR afternoon, you'll need to understand weirs, hydraulic jump, dilution, and flow in open channels. I'd also bring an Environemental dictionary to pick off one or two definition answers.

What is the critical path diagram, construction schedule?

Back