NCEES Pass Rates Are Up

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
Just to get it out there, the NCEES pass rates for October 2008 are up.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/pass_rates/

I see the the SEII results are still pending.

I also see that the PE Civil exam has a somewhat lower pass rate this season. Was it a hard exam this time around?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the part where I start to hyperventilate about not receiving results...

The Civil pass rate has gone down for the last three administrations. They overhauled the test for April 2008...took out a lot of the enivro and put in a construction section. Not sure if that has much to do with it...like maybe it's still sorting itself out.

I'm glad to see them make those changes. Some of the civil guys we've had on our construction sites were terrible. We had engineering NCR's out the wazoo.

I think the new test is a much better fit. For people who needed to know that much enviro, there's the enviro test. Now it's much more in line with what a typical civil might be doing.

Can someone teach me how to read? I am taking the test for FE, General-General. I am graduated from ABET university in Mechanical Engineering.

Is that

First Repeat

74% 29%

or

First Repeat

80% 38%

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone teach me how to read? I am taking the test for FE, General-General. I am graduated from ABET university in Mechanical Engineering. Is that

First Repeat

74% 29%

or

First Repeat

80% 38%
Both. If they compile stats from all general takers it is 74/29. If they compare stats from ME majors taking general it is 80/38. It appears that ME majors are better at taking the general exam than some other majors.

I think the new test is a much better fit. For people who needed to know that much enviro, there's the enviro test. Now it's much more in line with what a typical civil might be doing.

It means 74%/29% passed the general exam regardless of their degree.

But 80%/38% of people with mechanical degrees passed the exam regardless of module.

So it looks like mechanical students who took the mechanical afternoon while taking the FE for the first time in October did better that those that didn't, but not so much with the repeaters.

It means 74%/29% passed the general exam regardless of their degree.
But 80%/38% of people with mechanical degrees passed the exam regardless of module.

So it looks like mechanical students who took the mechanical afternoon while taking the FE for the first time in October did better that those that didn't, but not so much with the repeaters.
No. I think Komar is right. The 74%/29% is the first time and repeat pass rates for people that took the general module regardless of their undergrad degree. the numbers to the right under "general exam only" are only those people that took the general module and their pass rates are broken down by their undergrad degree. In this case, the MEs who took the general module passed at 80%/38%. I think what it's intended to show is that you are better off taking your discipline module rather than the general module. For MEs, those that took the mechanical module passed at 81% first time and for MEs that took the general module only passed at 80% first time.

Look at the ChemEs. Those that took the chemical module passed at a rate of 82%/46% and the chemEs that took the general module passed at a rate of 67%/18%.

It looks like for the most part, you're better off taking your discipline module than the general module.

This is the part where I start to hyperventilate about not receiving results...
The Civil pass rate has gone down for the last three administrations. They overhauled the test for April 2008...took out a lot of the enivro and put in a construction section. Not sure if that has much to do with it...like maybe it's still sorting itself out.
Unfortunately, I only pay attention to the "Repeat Takers" column. 25% - one in four - that is pretty rough.

thats got to be one of the lowest passing rates for Civil I have seen in several years (60%) ??

I never could figure out why the repeat takers passing percentage is so low, we need some phd's to do some research on that...

I was a repeat taker, passed second try thank god!

Unfortunately, I only pay attention to the "Repeat Takers" column. 25% - one in four - that is pretty rough.
I'm with you in that column. It makes me a little nervous when I see other repeat takers that have passed. I'm happy for them, but statistically that means I may have failed. I feel like I'm on the Bachelor and there's only a few more roses left.

I have a theory as to why the Civil pass rate has fallen off for the past few sessions...Its because there is no longer a "Civil" afternoon portion of the test. There's no session that focuses on civil site, utilities, stormwater, or really development of any kind. The majority of my classroom experience and all of my work experience is in "civil engineering" (commercial/residential/municipal development) but I had to take a test that really didn’t cover any of those things. I chose the Transportation section, even though I had only one transportation class and zero experience in the workplace. I chose it because it seemed like it was the most intuitive for me to teach myself before sitting for the test. Every PE (5 of them) in my office took a "Civil" test and couldn't fathom that it no longer exists but I and soon to be 4 more EI's that work with me have to study something totally irrelevant in our current jobs in order to get our license. I don’t mean to be so “whiney” and I do understand that’s just part of it (and it’s probably a better format for the majority) but if I do have to take it again or when the other EI’s in my office take it for the first time it seems like it would add value to the license in general if we passed a test that proves competence in our area of practice rather than our ability to study…just my two cents

Back