diagnostic report

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NowPE!

Reaction score
Okay, so I failed the **** thing! (Mechanical PE) I received the "diagnostic report" today and it shows all the "knowledge areas" of the exam and the corresponding percent correct. Does anyone know how to compare this to a passing score? When I add the total and divide the total percentage correct by the number of categories I get a number that I assume is the percentage correct overall. I have no idea if this is correct, because they don't tell you whether all the areas are equally weighted. Does anyone have the same report and have any idea how to compute the score? I know these scores are given to you so you can work harder in the sub-topics you get the lower scores in, but I would like to know how far away I am from passing the exam too. THIS THING CHAPS MY A*#!

Found it NCEES website says this.

Use the diagnostic report to determine how you need to concentrate your study for future exams. The report lists the percentages of correctly answered questions in each knowledge area of the exam. A low percentage (0-50%) in a content area contributed to your failing the exam. Substantial study of that content area is recommended prior to retaking the exam. A marginal percentage (50-75%) in a content area indicates your understanding may be improved by further study, thus improving your chances of passing the examination. Further review of a content area with a high percentage (75-100%) may also improve your chances of passing the examination. This is the best guide you will have for determining your strong and weak subject areas.

I know that for civil, you can find in the CERM (and other places) how each section is weighted... from that and your diagnostic, you can figure out how many questions you answered correctly in each section.

The approximate number of questions in each area are given by the exam specifications, which are available on the NCEES website here. Using these you can back-calculate roughly how many questions you got right in each area.

As for what the passing score is--good luck. It is a matter of much debate.

The approximate number of questions in each area are given by the exam specifications, which are available on the NCEES website here. Using these you can back-calculate roughly how many questions you got right in each area.
As for what the passing score is--good luck. It is a matter of much debate.
Thanks, I went through the calculation and the overall percentage taking the weight of the areas into consideration comes out to roughly the same percentage. I am sure it is a coincident. What's weird is the last four areas of the afternoon "knowledge areas" show a percent correct of 75% each. Seems odd to me. Any idea what this means? How could they all be 75%? Thanks for your response by the way.

Thanks, I went through the calculation and the overall percentage taking the weight of the areas into consideration comes out to roughly the same percentage. I am sure it is a coincident. What's weird is the last four areas of the afternoon "knowledge areas" show a percent correct of 75% each. Seems odd to me. Any idea what this means? How could they all be 75%? Thanks for your response by the way.
Did you take the machine design afternoon exam? It looks like the last 4 topics are all 10% each of the afternoon exam which would be 4 questions each. So if you show 75% you must have got 3 out of 4 right in each one of those ares.

Hey, nonpe, I'm sorry you didn't pass this time. I'll be cheering for you next time. Hang around here. We're here for you. Maybe when you start studying again, you should change your name from nonpe to soonpe.

Did you take the machine design afternoon exam? It looks like the last 4 topics are all 10% each of the afternoon exam which would be 4 questions each. So if you show 75% you must have got 3 out of 4 right in each one of those ares.

Yes. Machine Design on the afternoon.

Hey, nonpe, I'm sorry you didn't pass this time. I'll be cheering for you next time. Hang around here. We're here for you. Maybe when you start studying again, you should change your name from nonpe to soonpe.
Thanks. You are right about the nonpe name. I will change it real soon. I will take it over in April and pass it. Thankyou Merry Mary for your support.

NCEES will never divulge passing rates, but it is typically high 50's for Civils. You'll get it next time... change your study habits and try and get in a review course if available. PPI also has some good products out although I have only used their Civil products.

High 50's would be raw score: 56 out of 80 would be 70%.

Good luck, soonpe, and others re-taking. I know that re-taking is much different that taking for the first time. It's like jumping into icy cold water. First time, you know it will be cold. But, second time, you know that it will be cold, you know HOW cold it is, AND you are still feeling chilled from the first jump. You just have to jump. :)

High 50's would be raw score: 56 out of 80 would be 70%.
Good luck, soonpe, and others re-taking. I know that re-taking is much different that taking for the first time. It's like jumping into icy cold water. First time, you know it will be cold. But, second time, you know that it will be cold, you know HOW cold it is, AND you are still feeling chilled from the first jump. You just have to jump. :)
Okay Mary. I'm back on the PE studying thing again. Thanks for your encouragement last fall. I've been to busy working hard on some projects since the first of the year, but now things are slowing down again so time to hit the books. I tried to change my screen name last fall, but I kept getting errors. It seems it would not accept two different user names for the same e-mail address. Since you are on this board a lot, can you tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,

David

I'm not Mary... but I can help you out anyway :)

At the top of the page, click on "My Controls". Then, on the left, under Personal Profile, click on "Change Display Name".

I also failed the ME PE and took the machine design in the afternoon. From the posters I have seen most of the ones that passed the mechanical PE last fall did not take the machine design depth. I wonder what the passing rate of machine design depth was compared to the other depths.

When I figured out the diagnostic score there was a "curve" built in which I assume was based on some calculation that takes into account the performance in each area not just the %correct. I figure they are looking for what the results show as a well rounded engineer.

I started studying the day I received the results so I have about 7 weeks in. April 24th is not far away.

TxengrChickPE you need a new avatar -- the current one is making me slowly become obsessed with the Steelers LOL

Sorry I couldnt resist!

Back