Is FE exam really needed for writing PE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I just joined this forum and find it really useful.

I have been in the USA (Oklahoma) for nearly two years. I have put in over 16 years' Structural Engg. consulting practice in India.

My friends advise me that I become a PE to advance my career. Should I write the FE exam to qualify for writing the PE exam? Or, are their exceptions?

Please throw in your advices / suggestions.

Best regards to all.

Nara

Hello, everyone! I just joined this forum and find it really useful.
I have been in the USA (Oklahoma) for nearly two years. I have put in over 16 years' Structural Engg. consulting practice in India.

My friends advise me that I become a PE to advance my career. Should I write the FE exam to qualify for writing the PE exam? Or, are their exceptions?

Please throw in your advices / suggestions.

Best regards to all.

Nara
In a lot of states (I'm not sure about Oklahoma) you can subsitute experience if you can get a PE to sign it off. Usually it is just easier to take the exam, IMO.

In a lot of states (I'm not sure about Oklahoma) you can subsitute experience if you can get a PE to sign it off. Usually it is just easier to take the exam, IMO.
After 16+ years, I think just about anything would be easier than passing the FE.

After 16+ years, I think just about anything would be easier than passing the FE.
I took it about 10 years out of school. It wasn't that bad, but I did study. I'm thinking that finding US PEs to validate work performed in India might be harder. But I could be wrong.

I took it about 10 years out of school. It wasn't that bad, but I did study. I'm thinking that finding US PEs to validate work performed in India might be harder. But I could be wrong.
Of course approval is always state board dependent, but I suspect that actually getting approval for overseas experience might be even more difficult than finding a US PE to validate it. just my 0.02 That approval may prove difficult and would be necessary to fulfill the "experience" part of the PE requirement, even if it didn't work for the FE.

The OP needs to contact the state board and find out the deatils of his/her specific case.

Thank you all for the comments & guidance. I contacted the License Board in Oklahoma and am told that I should pass the FE Exam before writing the PE Exam. Oklahoma Board has no waiver for the FE Exam.

Best regards to all.

Nara

Thank you all for the comments & guidance. I contacted the License Board in Oklahoma and am told that I should pass the FE Exam before writing the PE Exam. Oklahoma Board has no waiver for the FE Exam.
Best regards to all.

Nara
The Oklahoma Board is really great to work with any issues or questions!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Back