Applying in California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_0078

Reaction score
I recently submitted an application to take the PE (Mechanical) Exam in california. I have a couple questions i am hoping some of you can shed some light on.

1. How long did it take to receive the postcards back from the board after submitting your application? Does it matter how close to the deadline you submit? If you guys can give some feedback on how long it took and an estimate of how long you submitted before the deadline i would really appreciate it.

2. Did the California board respond needing anymore information than what you provided--I.E. Do they go over applications with a fine tooth comb and look for dotted "i"s and crossed "t"s.

Has the CA board responded to anyone asking for more detail of their experience? The boxes on the application to summarize one's experience are like 4 lines each. I dont know how they can get a real understanding if someone is qualified by looking at 4 lines of text.

Also, some of my references are people EXEMPT from licensure. Has the board ever responded saying the reference doesnt meet the board's requirements? My references that are EXEMPT from licensure all have engineering degrees and practice engineering for a private company. One of my references didnt stamp/sign over the envelope his reference was placed in. In your experience, will any of these cause any problems.

Lastly, other than not meeting firm requirements such as years experience, EIT status/FE exam/satisfactory references, on what basis will the board reject your application.

I recently submitted an application to take the PE (Mechanical) Exam in california. I have a couple questions i am hoping some of you can shed some light on.
1. How long did it take to receive the postcards back from the board after submitting your application? Does it matter how close to the deadline you submit? If you guys can give some feedback on how long it took and an estimate of how long you submitted before the deadline i would really appreciate it.

2. Did the California board respond needing anymore information than what you provided--I.E. Do they go over applications with a fine tooth comb and look for dotted "i"s and crossed "t"s.

Has the CA board responded to anyone asking for more detail of their experience? The boxes on the application to summarize one's experience are like 4 lines each. I dont know how they can get a real understanding if someone is qualified by looking at 4 lines of text.

Also, some of my references are people EXEMPT from licensure. Has the board ever responded saying the reference doesnt meet the board's requirements? My references that are EXEMPT from licensure all have engineering degrees and practice engineering for a private company. One of my references didnt stamp/sign over the envelope his reference was placed in. In your experience, will any of these cause any problems.

Lastly, other than not meeting firm requirements such as years experience, EIT status/FE exam/satisfactory references, on what basis will the board reject your application.
1. From my experience, the board sent 2 post cards to me before 1.5 month away from the exam. One said "We are in the process reviewing your application" and other said something like "We will send you a ticket and the location where exam take place before 3 weeks of the exam. "

2. Never happens to me so cannot answer.

3. I wrote very brief about my job summary and there were no problems. So I guess it is ok to fit 4 lines descriptions of your job title

4. Most references need to have engineer stamps,but I can be wrong. However, licensed engineers don't need to sign over the envelope as long as they sign the reference letters according to california rules.

5. I believe references from Exempt licensure do need to show the board their 10 years work experiences.

6. You need to pass your FE or EIT exam + working experiences before you can take PE exam. There is no exception. If you have done these then there is no reason why the board should reject your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back