Online MBA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't waste your money. All I got of the University of Phoenix MBA was $27,000 in dept. All you need is a P.E., employeers do not care if you have an MBA.

I just got an engineering masters last year, so I'm not real interested in going back to school for a few years, but I would like to get an MBA at some point in the next 5 years.

My girlfriend is on track to become a professor, so hopefully in a few years she'll have a university position and we'll be married, and I can get the old family discount.

They have a couple local programs where I am right now, but not from any schools you ever heard of.

I think lots of employeers would care if you have an MBA. My company will pay for like $5,500 per year for one. I know it cost more than that but that would help. I have a masters in mechanical but I have also thought an MBA would be nice too. Maybe not. B)

I got an MBA a few years ago, while I think the PE is more valuable, it did give me some good insight into financials and some marketing "stuff".

My employer doesnt like to list me on proposals as Project Manager without having my PE, we do it though, but I am not the "preffered" person since I dont have my PE, even though I know more clients than other people, but oh well.

But I dont know about the online programs, I would try and find a school that offers a part time program (thats what I did) I found it to be much easier than my undergrad, but lots of presentations and public speaking, and group projects. I like to do presentations so a lot of times no one in my group would want to be the speaker so I would always let them do the "paperwork" and I would do the presentation.

MBA = Master Bullshit Artist????

Is this correct. If so, I don't need a University to tell me that I am one.

why do some people have so much anger towards the MBA. I think out of all masters, the MBA is a degree that people either love or hate. I guess the haters are the ones who can't get one.

why do some people have so much anger towards the MBA. I think out of all masters, the MBA is a degree that people either love or hate. I guess the haters are the ones who can't get one.
Huh? Anybody who can get an engineering degree can get an MBA. It just depends on where. An MBA from a top school is always valuable, from a less prestigious school its value is questionable.

I struggled in engineering, but was over the 95th percentile on the GMAT, and was honored as the top in my class at business school. Unfortuneately, that business school was not a high rated one, and I doubt I could have gotten into a top rated school given my undergraduate GPA.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Benbo already answered... it's not anger towards the MBA so much as it's concern that an MBA from a bottom tier B School is worth less than the tuition (let along the time you spend getting it).

Mail Order B Schools are more than worth less... they're worthless! A Top 20 B School *might* be a great investment, though for Engineers, I'm not so sure. Of course, if you're interested in learning, it's not about an investment of time and money - it's personal satisfaction... so have at.

Of course, if you're interested in learning, it's not about an investment of time and money - it's personal satisfaction... so have at.
Very true. I forgot to add that I really enjoyed the B-school (not online) at that time in my life. And I did get over some fear of public speaking, which has been of value to me. The credential itself was less valuable financially.

I'm planning on doing my MBA at ASU (night classes) after I finish my MEng next year. My thoughts:

1) More than your BSE, prestige of the school matters.

2) More than your BSE, networking matters. If you're looking to actually take the risk of moving to a board or CEO position eventually, it's the network that will get you there.

3) More than your BSE, business classes are what you make of them.

An EXCELLENT resource:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228869926...eTabs%3Darticle

Back