95 days until the exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
95 hours isn't going to get it done, especially if you are a first timer.

I've read in numerous places the magic number is 300. And that's what I shot for. Ended up at 291. Was wayyyyyy overprepared, but that's not a bad thing.

Saying you were wayyyy over-prepared at 291 makes one think that something in the 100's or low 200's might be OK? :dunno:

I never did a hardfast estimate, but think I was around 250 to 300 and I BARELY passed, I think. I don't really know how closely I came, but I was surprised (and still am sometimes) that I passed.

I guess I'm saying that 300 hours is a good thing to shoot for.

Ed

I've read in a few places that 300 hours over 3-4 months was ideal. I think that timeframe was good because it let me cover the material consistently over time, building up to a point where I was ready for the exam. I couldn't have kept that pace up much longer though, without burning out.

Some people spread it out over a longer period if they can't study as much per week, and the occasional freak of nature flips through a practice test 2 weeks beforehand and nails it cold.

Hey,

Good luck to everyone studying. I know I did at least 300 hrs (probably more if you ask my wife :rotfl: ) I felt the test (EE - Power) was not that difficult, probably because I was so (over?) prepared but better that then try to struggle thru the questions. I did not want to take it a second time. The other reason I studied so much was I've been out of school 24 years, so I wasn't that confident on remembering everything, especially electronics.

I did burn out at one point and took a week off about halfway thru. Recharged and refocused and felt fine afterwards.

So, the point of my rambling.... study til you feel comfortable and don't feel guilty if you start to burnout and take some time off.

The longest I went without studying during that whole time was 4 months. And that was because I had company for the holidays then jumped on a plan and flew cross country on a vacation.

I managed to study every day of my vacation but one, so I was good about that. I just stayed on East coast time and studied early before people woke up.

I didn't so much burnout as I did make it impossible for myself to study on certain days.

Oops, I "forgot" to bring my books home from the office. Or, Wow, now that I've drank this whole bottle of wine, I don't think can study at all.

I had a real hard time giving myself a day off, but I found certain excuses or rationalizations that had the same effect as a day off.

Back