2008 Oct. PE Exam Carpool in Seattle area

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy

Reaction score
I live around Microsoft campus. Let me know if anyone is interested in carpooling to the exam site which is in Puyallup , 40 miles from my home. I would like to share the gas price with you. Thanks.

I live around Microsoft campus. Let me know if anyone is interested in carpooling to the exam site which is in Puyallup , 40 miles from my home. I would like to share the gas price with you. Thanks.
I'll be taking the exam in Puyallup but I live in Auburn (30 miles south of you) so it's not much of a help.

Don't get me wrong... I think carpooling is great... but realistically, you do NOT want to be depending on someone you don't know on the day of the exam. If you already knew someone who lived close who was going to take it, that would be fine... but, what if the other person is running late? Do you really think they are going to want to waste time (and risk their being late to the exam) to pick you up? hell, what if they got lost getting to your house?

Let me run a quick calculation here... Let's assume that your vehicle gets about 16mpg, and you have to drive a total of 80 miles to get to and from the exam... so you're going to burn 5 gallons of gas. At $4/gal, you're looking at saving at most $20. Probably not worth the trouble.

Obviously, if you were making that trip every day, carpooling would make a lot of sense...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what the original poster was asking if what makes Seattle really great....we love carpooling around here and it's pefectly reasonable request here in Western Washington. I wouldn't do the same down in Phoenix or California or many other states, but around here, there are very few people who are strangers.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know it is that far until I registered for the exam. The EIT exam is held in Seattle downtown.

The traffic on I- 405 without carpooling is horrible in the rush hour. Anyway, I will just let my husband drive me there this time. BTW, my vehicle gets 27 mpg but I cannot predict the gas price in Oct.

Don't get me wrong... I think carpooling is great... but realistically, you do NOT want to be depending on someone you don't know on the day of the exam. If you already knew someone who lived close who was going to take it, that would be fine... but, what if the other person is running late? Do you really think they are going to want to waste time (and risk their being late to the exam) to pick you up? hell, what if they got lost getting to your house?
Let me run a quick calculation here... Let's assume that your vehicle gets about 16mpg, and you have to drive a total of 80 miles to get to and from the exam... so you're going to burn 5 gallons of gas. At $4/gal, you're looking at saving at most $20. Probably not worth the trouble.

Obviously, if you were making that trip every day, carpooling would make a lot of sense...

Back