Failed again-PE California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE2BE

Reaction score
I found out ( cali) that I failed and this failure is not the first time. Californial is the last board to make a decision on the cut scores and hands out the results, I believe, the latest in the country. So, by the time you get your results, you dont really have alot of time. I am so discouraged that I want to give up. With a 23% ( about) passage rate for repeat taker is there hope that one can pass? I have been so close so many times yet not close enough to pass. I have everything I need in terms of books, practice and class material. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your help. This situation is so depressing.

Help

I found out ( cali) that I failed and this failure is not the first time. Californial is the last board to make a decision on the cut scores and hands out the results, I believe, the latest in the country. So, by the time you get your results, you dont really have alot of time. I am so discouraged that I want to give up. With a 23% ( about) passage rate for repeat taker is there hope that one can pass? I have been so close so many times yet not close enough to pass. I have everything I need in terms of books, practice and class material. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your help. This situation is so depressing.
Help
My first piece of advice is, don't give up. Even if you are too depressed to study, pay your money and go back and take it again cold. Answer what you know and guess responses for the rest. You may get lucky and guess correctly.

Have you considered a review course? For seismic, I believe Hiner is the expert, and for the 8-hr, there are several review courses around. I failed the exam in Oct 07, and my coworker lent me a DVD set of review courses, about 20 hrs total. Just watching those really helped me and I passed. I imagine taking a live review course where you can ask questions will be even more beneficial.

The majority of people in CA do not pass the PE on the first time, and not even the second time. I took the Seismic exam 3 times, and the 8 hr twice. It is completely depressing to wait all that time for results, and not pass. But just dust yourself off, and go back in and try again. Give yourself a break and don't study for October. Just go in and take it cold, with the knowledge that you're going to buckle down and pass it in April 09. I'm really sorry to hear how you feel and I sympathize totally!

Just remember, not passing the PE does not mean that you're not smart and it doesn't mean you're a bad engineer. It's only a test, and it's the last hurdle you need to jump. Good luck!!!

Your name says it: PE2BE

You can't give up. I passed PE on 4th attempt. I would take a different strategy than Sideways, though. I would do EVERYTHING I could to pass next time, whether you decide October or April. Dump yourself into it. I agree that a review course is very helpful. It helped me. The other thing I always stress is to work a LOT of problems. Make a schedule based on covering all areas, but maybe a little extra time for weak areas. Discipline yourself and stick to your plan as best you can. Don't give up. [SIZE=12pt]Don't give up.[/SIZE] [SIZE=18pt]Don't give up!!!!![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
What mary said. You've already invested time and money into this thing. Just keep trying until you pass.

Thank you so much for your support. That's why this board is so great! :p10940623:

I realize it has to suck, but just think about the feeling when you pass it.

No drugs will ever be able to touch that!

I'm giving the PE a third attempt this October. Buckle down and study...and then celebrate with me in February when you guys finally get results :)

For me this time it has been practice, practice, practice. I go to the library almost every night to do sample problems. We'll see if it works.

Help
Do not give up at any cost. If I can pass you can definettly pass. I passed the test 3rd time. It wasn't easy but nothing can beat hardwork. you still have 9 weeks to study for the test. Know your weaknesses and work on them first. practice as many problems as you can. This board is awesome. you can get lot of tips and advice from the members. Good luck and start working on problems from today. I am pretty sure you will pass the test this time. This test is not a rocket science. Just know the basics. Let me know if you need any help. My strengths are water resources and environmental.

I am in your shoes.

When I got my letter, I was too bumped to study. But I realize any minute spend grieving, is another minute lost from passing. The sooner you get back to the "fighter" mode, the closer you are to winning this game. There isn't much time left for Californians to catch up for October!

You will pass!

Can you concentrate on one or two at a time? It might make it easier on you, easpecially ifyoure missing just by one or two- you can pick up the third exam the next time around.

I really can understand your frustation on the board's delay in releasing the exam results. I guess they are taking a leaf out of our state senators way of dealing buget passing.

But please dont give up. Its doesn't need a character to go along with the tides, but character comes into play when you are against the tide. Show the character and succed. I am sure you WILL. Keep your spirits up.

DOnt change your evening major in 8 hr. Stick on to the one you are strong with.

Have a good look of the subject areas you are strong, you are comfortable with and you are weak. If you can divide this way each subject by judgement, you can see things better. Then allocate your resources accordingly.

In the exam it needs 70% correct for 8 hour, 60% for seismic and surveying. Go through the question paper and solve the ones you can do without much thinking. If any question u know but its taking time write down all the steps in brief so that when u have time u can solve it later. Keep a mark on your answer selection on the question paper. Keep last 10 min. to make sure that you have maked the correct answer (match with the question paper).

GOOD LUCK

Thank you everyone for your encouragement.

Siddus your specifics are perfect (although the test results for CA specific surveying is higher than you stated,but whatever...). But, what does this mean??"I really can understand your frustation on the board's delay in releasing the exam results. I guess they are taking a leaf out of our state senators way of dealing buget passing."

I've heard alot of reasons why there is such a long delay to get the results out.

I dont have alot of time and it's about being efficient.

I was wondering what other people were doing to prepare the 2nd/30th time around ? Be specific.

Thanks again. I really want more than anything to get this over with.

But, what does this mean??"I really can understand your frustation on the board's delay in releasing the exam results. I guess they are taking a leaf out of our state senators way of dealing buget passing."I've heard alot of reasons why there is such a long delay to get the results out.
I think siddus was just stating that expediency and stellar results are not the hallmarks of California state government. :) I wouldn't expect the CA board to start getting the results out quicker anytime soon.

What references did you take last time? What PM did you take? What references do you have that you didn't take? List everything. Let's start by making sure you have the right stuff with you. We'll get you straightened out- there has to be something you're missing- no worries, we'll find it.

What references did you take last time? What PM did you take? What references do you have that you didn't take? List everything. Let's start by making sure you have the right stuff with you. We'll get you straightened out- there has to be something you're missing- no worries, we'll find it.

I am taking the Transportation PM plus Surveying. As for the books ,I have are everything except the Traffic Engineering book. My scores were disappointing in the morning ( total score of 51) which is what I really want to focus on this time. For now I am focusing on Geotechnical. What I find hard are the easy questions ,if that makes any sense?!! The subtle pieces of information maybe tricky or not but, information that you overlook that leads you to the wrong answer. I have felt so confident when I left the AM in the past ...now I dont know.

Geotech 25

Transportation 62 ( not 63??)

Structures 75

Water 88

Contruction 63

Any suggestion would help. Thanks again.

I have a pretty good background in geotech yet I found the AM questions challenging. I thought the CERM was crap when it came to that section. Do you have a Das book? I have the geotech one, other have foundations- I don't think for AM it probably makes a HUGE difference. You HAVE TO KNOW weight/volume relationships. NEVER EVER miss one. They're straight-forward so there's no excuse. Do you have that down? If you have no idea what I'm talking about or are not perfect at them, let me know and I'll scan some pages for you. Also, check out the geotech forum- might find something there.

I have a pretty good background in geotech yet I found the AM questions challenging. I thought the CERM was crap when it came to that section. Do you have a Das book? I have the geotech one, other have foundations- I don't think for AM it probably makes a HUGE difference. You HAVE TO KNOW weight/volume relationships. NEVER EVER miss one. They're straight-forward so there's no excuse. Do you have that down? If you have no idea what I'm talking about or are not perfect at them, let me know and I'll scan some pages for you. Also, check out the geotech forum- might find something there.
Squishles,

Why not add some content to the PE Notes - Geotechnical page? Especially the straight-forward "don't miss these questions" stuff!

I agree, the geotech in the CERM made me feel uneasy going into the exam. I would bet that was my lowest percentage of sections in the am session.

Back