Who's up for some NCEES reform?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EdinNO

Anyone willing to stand up and do something about the results wait time?

I'll be glad to try to organize something if there are enough people out there willing to get involved!

Ed

Ed, I passed the test, have a Number, but I still cannot practice because Florida has not ratified my # yet.

Don't forget I am losing tons of side work.

I wish I had side work. I KNOW I could get it, but my new company (been there for 2 weeks now) mentioned in the interview that its frowned upon.

And I'm not making a killing. Just barely enough to allow me to make the commute I'm making.

I think I'll go solo one day though.

Regardless, I feel compelled to make a difference. When I see something broken in a place where I can fix it and make a difference, I feel like that's my calling. I am more than willing to do what is necessary to make things happen. I passed and am now a PE, but I know that most people are just interested in their own thing.

If I can get enough backup, I'll consider doing whatever it takes to make a difference.

There are too many cowards and ego-centric people in the world who don't give a **** about others. I feel like if I can do some good, let me have at it.

Ed

Last edited:
I am with you Ed. Let me know what you need for help. 2 months to grade a scanned test is crazy.

Rant mode switch "on":

No two ways about it...NCEES treats us like horse ****. It is unconscionable to have to wait so long to get results from a scanned exam; if you pass, you have no idea of your score and have no right to see your test, under the pretext of "exam security". Any other profession would have raised such a hue and cry that the bastards would have been strung up. My wife is an RN and has taken Board certification tests; and she says it is absolutely shameless the way they treat us.

I was really irritated when I took the EE exam last April. They had signs on the men's room door, saying "No Talking" and EVEN had a security drone sitting beside the men's room door. Yeah, like I'm gonna schedule a piss so I can dash into the men's room so I can ask the electrical engineer in the next stall how to solve problem #12.

It pisses me off that this stupid test has spawned a cottage industry of hucksters who cash in by selling books and sample exams.

Rant mode off.

I actually didn't mind the NCEES wait all that much. I'm primarily pissed about the crazy long wait time for my state (OR) to accept the results and mail letters.

We even have a law that says the Administrative Secratary of the board is to notify examinees of the results as soon as practicle. One month after the results are received from NCEES is not, IMHO, practicle.

Long story short, I'm planning to address this issue with my state board after I get all my ducks in a row. I may even try to get appointed to the board. Unfortunately one of the appointment criteria is five years experience as a licensed engineer or surveyor.

Grrrrrr :fool:

While I'm in full-blown bitch mode, I'll add my comments about the FE exam...

I took it the Spring quarter of my last year in college. Some Nazi drone was in the corner with a video camcorder on a tripod, filming the entire 8-hour session to verify no one was cheating.

I was 40 years old at the time, and more than a little pissed that I was being monitored like either: 1) a kindergartener or 2) a pedophile.

Any idiot who would apply to take either the FE or PE exam, with the sole intent being to copy questions rather than actually try and pass the test, should have a psychiatric evaluation.

Plus, I submit to you that agencies such as NCEES and ELSES do this carrot-and-stick gig on us, posing these tests as both challenges and the Holy Grail. I'd wager that a decent physics student who was good at math could pass both the FE and PE exams, with the study materials now available.

Give me an AK-47 and put me on point. I'll lead the charge. Next stop: Clemson! We'll storm the Citadel!!!

I totally agree with you guys. That was the worst two months of my life. I would obsess about that exam at all times. I really think that they should show us the common courtesy of trying to be just a little more on the ball. Don't forget, they are not doing this non-profit. They use volunteers who are only reimbursed for travel and lodging to make the test and they probably pay the proctors about jack ****.

However, this being said, I dont think we have a snowballs chance on this one. If you try to get anything done, they are just gonna give you the old dog and pony show about how the tests are reviewed question by question in order to better serve you. And lets face it, they definitely have a monopoly on the product. No one can go and get a PE license from someone else. Ill help do whatever I can but I just dont think that we are the first and we wont be the last to raise these concerns.

Please dont ban me. :unsure:

Nobody is going to ban you Mr. Diaz, you bring up several great points.

I only have one more thing to say, GO I ISRAEL!

Ed, I passed the test, have a Number, but I still cannot practice because Florida has not ratified my # yet.
RLeon, how will we know that our numbers are ratified? are they going to post something on that useless website they never update? :dunno:

Hello there,

I posted something similar some months ago, at a galaxy far far away, and there was not too much of a support for the idea :( . Now I see another chance here. ;)

I did suggest that time to wite at our respectives Congressmen(women) : USA : and state our concern. You know, raise a red flag. Let someone know that there is something going on that requires attention.

How many candidates take the FE and PE test every year? For someone running for President : USA : , in case he/she did something to help all these poor unfortunate souls, that is a huge ammount of votes. Don't you think?

Let us attack this flank first and see what happens. Count me in.

;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns;

Bring it on!! was never more aptly said. this is a noble cause that this board is well suited for. Admin, I recommend a sticky!

This battle needs to waged on two fronts.

1) at the national level, to put pressure on NCEES to improve their process and give timely results

2) at the state level to give prompt notification of results and immediate licensure upon passing.

this is going to require us getting our butts at State Board meetings. The boards would have the most influence on NCEES, since they are the client. The issue of release of results and licensure can be brought at the same time. We need reps in every state. I will be sounding off at the nest CO meeting.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time to saddle up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Franz, go to www.fbpe.org and download the spreadsheet containing all the PE and EI information (Engineering Directory). Our numbers are listed there. I even ordered my seal this morning.

I think the wait time is the major thing to tackle. After that perhaps (two other major beefs) -

1. Give test passers the option to see their score if they want (that is probably more a State board decision).

2. Get rid of this mystery around the cut score (I mean the raw number of points to pass). I mean WTF? Let us know what the cut score is and has been historically for the various exams.

I'm willing to help out, sign something, to a point. I am afraid I wouldn't waste too much time on this because I don't see it changing.

Looks like a lot of people feel the same way! That's great!

Maybe there really isn't anything we can do. But if we can come up with something and it snowballs and eventually a few hundred engineers from each state are willing to come forward and formally complain, maybe something can happen.

As someone mentioned above, I think its a slap in the face to our profession. I know several other professions who don't have nearly the wait, uncertainty, etc... that we have to deal with. I think they kick us around a likttle too much. Its BS!

Keep the ideas coming in. Right now its just a dream and a little ranting, but maybe we can make something real happen!

Ed

Last edited:
rleon, you have a number and can do side work as a PE. What's holding you back?

Ed....I'd be more than happy to devote some time and work into it but I just wouldn't know where to begin. I would think using ASCE as a source would be a good start though.

Ed, I am in. I would like to see how many people from this forum could get involved with our state board meetings and work together here to attack on many fronts.

Our solidarity on this forum will help each other if and when we run into the ones that have tried this before, and didn't get any where, and quit.

It is my goal to get on the board even if it does take five years. It will be nice to have the business contacts.

;guns; :dsgt:

Sounds great!

At first I was just ranting I guess. But now that I see how many people feel the same, maybe we can try to get our heads together and make something happen.

Lets come up with ideas and see what happens.

Ed

Dr. Franz, go to www.fbpe.org and download the spreadsheet containing all the PE and EI information (Engineering Directory). Our numbers are listed there. I even ordered my seal this morning.
THANKS!!!!

I'll order my seal today!

Back