Attracting Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Dog

Reaction score
According to the National Academy of Engineers it is the social benefit we provide.

Engineers make a world of difference.

Engineers are creative problem-solvers.

Engineers help shape the future.

Engineering is essential to our health, happiness, and safety.

Read More

All you would need to do to attract engineers, is put out a broadcast of riddles / hoaxes / questions - like:

would a plane on a treadmill fly???

It's kind of like a bug-zapper for these type of mental / cerebral peoples... Those **** engineers would swarm around that pot of elixer by the handfulls. The trouble is how to trap them once they congregate.

The real question is, once an engineer is attracted, how do you catch one?

interesting quote:

On a positive note, less than 15 percent of adults or teens surveyed described engineers using common derogatory stereotypes, such as "boring" or "nerdy.” However, the research also showed that many students don't enjoy math and science enough to become engineers.

We're not nerds! We're not nerds! take it everybody. . . .

I'm not sure if math & science are ever "enjoyed", although given calculus or flemish poetry of the 18th century, i'm leaning towards integratin' & derivitatin'

interesting quote:
On a positive note, less than 15 percent of adults or teens surveyed described engineers using common derogatory stereotypes, such as "boring" or "nerdy.” However, the research also showed that many students don't enjoy math and science enough to become engineers.

I'm not sure if math & science are ever "enjoyed", although given calculus or flemish poetry of the 18th century, i'm leaning towards integratin' & derivitatin'
No, for me math is not "enjoyed". I took the math classes that they made me take to get my degree, and disliked most of them (although the poor quality of teaching may have contributed to some of that feeling). I retained what I needed to retain, and I can pick things up quickly if I need to re-learn them for some reason.

To be honest, I think a lot more kids in college could have majored in engineering but chose not to because of the amount of time that classes and studying would take. I didn't have much of a social life my last two years, although I still found some time for fun. Mr. Bug (who was not Mr. Bug at the time) spent a lot of Saturday afternoons reading a book in a lab while my friends and I worked on projects or homework. The engineering majors in general were not known for their rollicking social agendas. I was on an NCAA Division 1 sports team during my freshman year. There were three of us who were engineering majors. The coach sat us down along with the nursing majors at the end of the year and encouraged us to change our majors to something like communication or business, because the athletic department couldn't find tutors for the engineering majors, and the nursing majors' clinicals meant they were unable to come to practice every day or go for competitions during the week. To our credit, two of the three engineering majors and all of the nursing majors basically said, "Screw that" and decided not to return to the team the next year. Life is all about choices.

A lot of people who I meet for the first time have no idea I'm an engineer. Then I'm told that I'm "so normal" - as if all engineers wander around with a pocket protector like Dr. Frink on the Simpsons.

What's wrong with being a nerd?
i prefer geek. i actually have a shirt w/ 'geek' written in binary on the front - unreal how many people ask me "what's that mean?" Go thou & study ye the mathematics (gosh that sounds familiar, where have i seen that recently?)

I prefer geek too... although nothing is wrong with nerd if that floats your boat. I'm quite happy to be a geek.

What's wrong with walking around with a pocket protector?

Nerd, geek, Poindexter. . . proud to call myself all three.

Uh-uh - can't do the poindexter label, as i still use that for people way too into their tech-craft, whatever that may be

interesting quote:

Funny thing is that at one point my wife's boss was being a real dick to her. It got to the point that I got really pissed and chewed him out over the phone. That same day he found out that I was an engineer and he actually called me back a short time later to apologize because he was scared of what engineers are capable of.

I think it's kinda nice to have that level of mental intimidation over some people...

Funny thing is that at one point my wife's boss was being a real dick to her. It got to the point that I got really pissed and chewed him out over the phone. That same day he found out that I was an engineer and he actually called me back a short time later to apologize because he was scared of what engineers are capable of.
I think it's kinda nice to have that level of mental intimidation over some people...
THAT IS FUNNY . . . . .

Back