Marketable skills for a mechanical PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech engineer

Reaction score
Everybody has to constantly try to improve his or her engineering skills if he wants to land a better job or simply grow with the current employer. What are the skills that are in most demand on the market that a mechanical engineer has to acquire in order to succeed? For instance, I would assume it is quite useful yo have good working knowledge of SolidWorks or another 3-D design program. What else? :please: :thankyou:

In what industry? In the MEP/Consulting industry, where the license is most often needed, I don't think most people could care less if you had SolidWorks experience. I know it is useless to our company.

In what industry? In the MEP/Consulting industry, where the license is most often needed, I don't think most people could care less if you had SolidWorks experience. I know it is useless to our company.
Steve, what would you say matters than from your experience?

Ironically, I would suggest that the most useful skills for a Mechanical Engineer to acquire are instrumentation and controls knowledge, especially PLCs and logic. As you progress in your Mechanical Engineering career, you will find in a number of fields, including both consulting and manufacturing, that having at least a working knowledge of the I&C realm (the more the better) will open doors for you into senior process positions, project mangagement and project engineering. This of course assumes that you have a good grasp of the mechanical end of things already. The more versatile and cross-disciplined you are, the more opportunities you will have.

I worked in product design for many years prior to getting my PE. I did SolidWorks and other 3-D programs, but that will not advance your career and they really DON'T care about license. That's why I left. In Mechanical, there is some demand for HVAC and other mechanical systems design for construction projects. I recommend expanding your knowledge some in other construction areas and really getting into project management. If you want to learn a program, MS Project and SureTrak are used by many companies for scheduling.

Back