Why get a Mechanical PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Laine

Civil I can understand since it is a requirement for advancement. However, I've worked in manufacturing, nuke power and education; PE is never required & I got a lot of 'what are you doing that for?'.

My reason was personal challenge. What's yours?

L

Not necessarily in this oder:

-Challenge

-Leverage on job opeinigs

-Opens the door for future self-employment

-Pay will increase for a position with a consulting firm

Ed

Thought about expert witness self-employment in the future? Bigs bucks I hear if you can find your niche.

L

Above that ceiling tile in every commercial building exists a whole series of equipment that keeps everyone comfortable. It is called HVAC and you need a PE to design and produce plans. There is a lot that mechanical engineers do that does not require PE but don't forget the building construction industry where you have to be PE (or at least greatly need) to survive.

Now, I have heard several people say, "Why do that for a living?" Because, manufacturing can and most likely eventually will be done somewhere else (China, Mexico, etc). Consulting is in the service sector and service is going to be one of the few areas left in this country will real growth potential.

I am also a prior Navy Nuclear Operator and the commercial Nuclear Power field has a lot of potential. If I want to transfer into that industry I will need something to get my foot in the door. The PE along with my military background will help. I have seen several jobs recently for plants advertising for a PE.

I work in Mfg as well. I did it for personal challenge as well as:

If they every decide to do another large scale layoff or plant closing, I can find other work with it (we have about 3 local power plants / state jobs / University Jobs)... a lot of those jobs for ME are somewhat inbred and it's difficult to get inside. The PE will help to open doors for that, especially if I'm competing against other guys from my plant that may be looking for jobs as well.

-Promotions

-Stronger business credentials

-Stronger background and knowledge of ME

-Add more value to myself, and to the engineering community.

-Make more $$$

-Attract a higher quality (not quantity) of girls (i.e. college educated vs. high school drop out,etc. .........you get the picture)

Hero,

I like all of your reasons. I would put the promotions and the money as the top reasons. The only issue is the last one. My wife always seems to get upset for some reason when I try to pursue that one! :D :thumbsup:

Ed

i'd also like to consult and/or be an expert witness one day. it's also a good way to brush up on the basics (FE) and go beyond (PE).

i think it's a good credential to have.

Hero,I like all of your reasons. I would put the promotions and the money as the top reasons. The only issue is the last one. My wife always seems to get upset for some reason when I try to pursue that one! :D :thumbsup:

Ed
LOL

The last issue is my problem. I'm single so I don't have to worry about the wife! :p

It has been a goal of mine since early in my college days...

"-Promotions

-Stronger business credentials

-Stronger background and knowledge of ME

-Add more value to myself, and to the engineering community.

-Make more $$$"

are ane excellent side benefit!.

Why get a PE?
You aren't really an engineer if you aren't a PE.
Then I'm no engineer :true:

And these kind of comments really piss me off. So, I apolagize in advance and consider this my '.02'

Rant on...

I think I've made some contributions to the OEMs that I've worked for for the past twenty years and I've worked with many talented people along the way who weren't "engineers" either.

None of these folks had to point to a piece of paper that described their talents or accomplishments. Their worth was very evident in their work and the way they treated others.

The piece of paper means nothing - its the knowledge and wisdom and the way that you use it that's important. Please think this over, and refrain from making these types of comments in the future "oldtimer"

Rant off....

Why get a PE?
You aren't really an engineer if you aren't a PE.
Then I'm no engineer :true:

And these kind of comments really piss me off. So, I apolagize in advance and consider this my '.02'

Rant on...

I think I've made some contributions to the OEMs that I've worked for for the past twenty years and I've worked with many talented people along the way who weren't "engineers" either.

None of these folks had to point to a piece of paper that described their talents or accomplishments. Their worth was very evident in their work and the way they treated others.

The piece of paper means nothing - its the knowledge and wisdom and the way that you use it that's important. Please think this over, and refrain from making these types of comments in the future "oldtimer"

Rant off....
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone and I've definitely known some nonlicenced people that know a lot more than PEs. I thought everyone on this board was pretty interested in getting his/her PE...

You can contribute a ton to the engineering community without a PE. You can contribute a ton to the engineering community without graduating high school, but I think college is a good idea.

Maybe it's just because I work at a company that offers engineering consulting to the public, and it is illegal for you to portray yourself as an engieer to the public without the PE. My job title for the last 4.5 years has been mechanical engineering intern :true:

By the way, when I wrote this post I didn't know if I passed yet. But TX posted last night and... :pass

So... now I can get new business cards that say mechanical engineer and quit having to explain to my relatives why I am still an intern after graduating college and working for 4 yrs...

Anyway, get the PE if it will help your career. If it won't do anything for you, ignore people with an ego about it... :wub:

Eric_Tx - apology accepted :) And again, I apologize (was out celebrating with the family and some 12 year old scotch :drunk: ); the comment just hit a nerve is all. Congrats!

I am in the same boat as Eric_TX. In the HVAC consulting industry, it is illegal to portray yourself as an "Engineer" to the public/clients without having your PE. When a relative of friend asks me what I do, however, I tell them that I am an engineer with the explanation about my official title, which is Mechanical Designer. This will be the case until I get the PE, which will hopefully be in a month.

The CA board is obviously :whatever: while I am :wait

The PE is relative. You can have the PE and be a complete moron and viceversa. The most brilliant engineers I knew were not PEs. Nobody ever did dare to tell them they were not engineers. For certain fields the license is a must have. Like CivEngs. They have to have it. For EEs depends where you work. For consultants, very nice. For utilities is worthless. For MEngs I think is nice to have. Not sure for ChemEngs and IndEngs

Bottom line: Is not the license what makes you an engineer. Is what you know. Have seen PEs cracking under pressure. Have also seen seasoned engineers without license saving the day. All this issue with the license is just the biggest legal scam in the world.

...All this issue with the license is just the biggest legal scam in the world.
What impresses me is the huge industry that has developed around Exam prep (Lindeburg must have a *really* nice boat and a private dock somewhere in Florida). That is the real racket -- it's like a printing press for money.

I dunno, for me the only value of the PE is that I can stamp pressure vessel reports (I'm in the nuclear power world). Other than that, it's a generally just an ego thing to be honest. I don't like it that there's some sort of professional criterion that I haven't met. Certainly, many of the best design engineers and analysts I work with are non-PE folks. In my part of the professional world, it's really more about what you can do than the credentials you have. Graduate work in school is nearly required, but the PE is just icing on the cake.

All that said, I would simply love to write some sort of book of formulas or something and cash in on this thing. It's simply amazing how they have us trapped into needing specific reference materials in order to jump through the hoop.

What impresses me is the huge industry that has developed around Exam prep (Lindeburg must have a *really* nice boat and a private dock somewhere in Florida). That is the real racket -- it's like a printing press for money.
I dunno, for me the only value of the PE is that I can stamp pressure vessel reports (I'm in the nuclear power world). Other than that, it's a generally just an ego thing to be honest. I don't like it that there's some sort of professional criterion that I haven't met. Certainly, many of the best design engineers and analysts I work with are non-PE folks. In my part of the professional world, it's really more about what you can do than the credentials you have. Graduate work in school is nearly required, but the PE is just icing on the cake.

All that said, I would simply love to write some sort of book of formulas or something and cash in on this thing. It's simply amazing how they have us trapped into needing specific reference materials in order to jump through the hoop.
Great reply. I wonder if someone will have the guts of, one day, initiate an investigation on this. The safety of the public is not an issue now. The issue here is that someone, somewhere, and somehow is making tons of money using the desire of engineers to become licensed. Where does that money go? Who does benefit from it? More important; How does the engineering profession benefit from all that Test Prep industry. I don't know guys but maybe you are on the wrong business. Try the Test Prep field. I am sure that will make a few of you rich men/women.

Bottom line: Is not the license what makes you an engineer. Is what you know. Have seen PEs cracking under pressure. Have also seen seasoned engineers without license saving the day. All this issue with the license is just the biggest legal scam in the world.
I can't argue with you on that, BUT, I do not believe that ALL engineers without a license are worth their weight in gold, and vice versa... for anyone else spouting the question of the PE license and it's purpose...

For mechanical engineers - the license does little, unless you are in HVAC design (from what I've gathered). I don't think it's a scam to say that to do some work requires you to have some level of advanced knowledge. We are professionals and the license has it's place. It's the stamp that's the deal breaker. If you have enough courage / knowledge to take the test and pass it, then you have the opportunity to use a seal / stamp to approve prints, saying that you know and have accounted for all design aspects and that the design is SAFE (as DK was referencing) and meets all criteria, bla, bla.

The stamp is where the rubber (ha) meets the road. You have now signed up to take liability for your design. You have rightfully said that you are RESPONSIBLE. If you don't have a license / stamp, then there is less likihood that an average joe would care that the design meets all criteria (and there are SOME engineers who don't care), but if you follow the letter of the law, critical public designs shall follow and use legal licensed firms that have designs approved by PE's. Does that golden stamp guarantee that there won't be issues - No. But, it does add the context that the liability exists if a mistake was made.

Licensing serves it's purpose. Is it the perfect scenario? - no. Does it work... I think so. Does it create a business around passing exams? Duh. So, if you think you can write a book - go for it. That's why ML took advantage of a situation and made it work. Isn't it great to be an American.

Back