Hiner Seismic Design Review Class

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sequoiadogg

This question is for anyone enrolled in Hiner's seismic review class.

Has there been discussion covering the main differences in the "old" exam that was based on the 1997 UBC and the "new" exam that is based on the 2006 IBC?

I've looked through the 2006 IBC and it looks like some of the info that was in the 1997 UBC is now in the ASCE 7-05 publication. Other than this change, has the method for solving the problems changed?

I suggest you look in more detail. The differences in seismic design between CBC01 and CBC07 (ASCE7-05) are huge. Almost every single calculation is different. This includes overall base shear, elements of structures, non-building structures, etc. All of the catagories are different because you are using different equations. The siesmic chapters in ASCE are about double the size of the seismic chapters in UBC. All of the same methodolgy is there, however you'll have to learn all new equations and applications of them, not to mention all of the constants and variables that those new equations use.

I haven't taken the Hiner class, but the new code is VERY different from the old code, I wouldn't even look at the old code anymore. The biggest thing is that you now have seismic categories, A-F, based on mapped accelerations (found in ASCE) plus the site soil conditions, and the occupancy type.

The method for solving for base shear overall is drastically different.

I think having the ASCE 7-05 is a must, since is has all the new equations that the CBC just refrences.

Board website has a pretty good specs about the seismic exam. Make sure to read it before taking the exam. Good luck to you all!

Back