Got Ink?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fess up, are you sporting some skin art?

• yup

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • nope

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • rather not say

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
Getting some new topics by adding yet another poll(!) sorry

Was curious among all our prof bretheren, how many may have tats - tramp stamps, redneck labels, thug plugs, artistic renderings of inner-most thoughts. . .whatever you wanna call 'em.

I have one from early 20's (I'm 40 now) on back / upper right shoulder area - was cool at the time, was a self-assembled image, and was supposed to be an artistic rendering of super deep thoughts (ooooh!). I'm glad i put it in an inconspicuous location at least.

Yeah so anyways, i've been trying to burn the thing off this past 1/2 year using TCA (trichloroacetic acid) kit, which hurts worse than getting the **** thing in the first place. Why remove it? Because they are so mainstream anymore! A trip to any beach shows the sheer proliferation of them on men & women alike. Obviously, atheletes at the collegiate and higher level are in the minority if they're not sporting some kind of ink, preferably on the arms as conspicuously as possible.

Also, for my wife & kiddies, i'd rather have more conservative of an appearance even in situations where i would be for whatever reason shirtless . . . so a faded tat (if that's all i get from this self-inflicted acid torture) would even be preferable than one that stands out starkly with all the other Toms, Dicks, and Harrys.

I have considered getting a tat, but I could never decide on what I wanted. More recently, I was thinking about doing something tribal across my shoulders, but my wife veto'd that. Probably won't ever happen.

That's OK for now, I put back on about 15 lbs and don't look good enough to sport one shirtless at the moment.

No interest here either. One of our neighbors goes around to schools speaking about them, issuing warning and things like that. He got Hep C from a dirty tatoo needle.

I never had any interest. When I was enlisted, I was the only person that I knew of in my workgroup that seemed to be able to resist the 'temptation' of getting a tattoo.

I am actually quite neutral on having one vs. not having one.

JR

where is Jen?

I'm here...been a busy day at the office. I got to vote "yep" obviously b/c I am sporting 8 tattoos...6 of them in places that can be seen depending on what I am wearing. I love them (no regrets for me) and want more in the near future.

where is Jen?
Here is the topic she started a few months ago on the subject (without a poll though)

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showto...7&hl=tattoo

I don't have any tattoos and never really had any compulsion to get one. I have friends with them, and I don't know any of them that don't regret them now. One friend in particular that got a tattoo of the earth on his chest when he was in the army as an 18 yr old. He's in his thirties now and complains that now he isn't in the shape he was then, so his nice round earth tattoo now looks more like a nice egg shaped earth tattoo. It's pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad there are people like you Jen, that enjoy the realm of tattoos, are proud of it, and display this quality so confidently, no matter what circle you may be in - seriously, i admire that trait, and i admire the world of tattoos too (obviously moreso at an earlier age).

I think mainly with me it's simply not who i am anymore, but more of who i was. . . and i feel totally justified in dissing on any of the cookie-cutter or overly popularized, trendy designs out there - yeah, Mr. barbed wire around the bicep, that would be you!

Funny, i once considered getting a tattoo coverup of my existing one, but boy that would have been huge! and even with trying to exorcise this one off, i still have ideas for new ones (smaller ones) - and so it goes on. . .

I have no tattoos and do not plan on having one. Just don't like it but I've seen very nice ones, you know...tattoos that looked very nice on the person having them.

There was a lady in P.R. , a singer she was, and after having a surgery she had a tattoo done on her at the scar area. She had a beautiful butterfly. She looked HAH with that tattoo. :eyebrows:

I just can't think of anything that's so important to me that I want it emblazoned on my body forever.

Well, maybe one thing: or two things:

Last edited by a moderator:
No ink here either. Never had an interest in having art work around that I couldn't sell when I got tired of looking at it.

I don't have a tatoo, but I wanted one in college.

I was poor....

I'm in the don't have one and don't really care for them crowd. Having children seems to strengthen that position; hate to think of my daughter getting the lower back tattoo someday.

Our draftsman got one this weekend, tho - his family crest - and it doesn't look so bad.

We got into the discussion of what kind of tat might I consider?

One of my really cool framing details?

My PE seal?

It seems like somebody somewhere must have done the PE seal - even though I have a feeling the licensing board would object.

Back