April 08 ME PE Exam (but others also), where is everybody at with studying?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-NM

Reaction score
I will be taking the ME PE exam this April (Machine design depth). Well with about two months left, I would say that I have put in about 80 hours. If I had to take the test at this point, I would probably be better off just guessing all A's!

It seems like it has taken me this long to go through each chapter briefly and work a few problems from each. I worked through the breadth portions of each 6-minute solutions manual. I then began working the depth portions, but found that I was basically having to try to look up every problem in the index, and was thus not really prepared to work these problems at this point.

I have now shifted gears and have gone back to MERM. I am going through all the Machine Design chapters and trying to work the example problems. After I do this, I am not really sure where I should go...

-Should I do more machine design problems from MERM?

-Should I do more machine design problems from 6-Minute Solutions?

-Should I move to breadth areas from MERM, 6-minute, etc?

So far, as you can see, the hardest part for me has been coming up with a successful study plan. I would have no problem sticking to it, just can't seem to come up with something I feel comfortable with.

I think with so many study materials available (MERM, all three 6-minute solutions, NCEES problems, 101 solved ME problems, Lindeburg practice exam, flash cards) I have it in my mind that I need to do every problem of every reference. I am now realizing that this approach is probably not possible.

How would everybody prioritize the above mentioned references as far as importance? (Seems like the consensus is MERM at #1 by far).

Is anybody else going through something similar, or has anybody devised a good study plan that is working well?

Any past test takers (whether successful or not) care to comment/offer suggestions?

Thank you very much. Good luck to all April test takers!

I took and passed last April.

At his point, Since you are unsure what to study next, I suggest taking the p-p-i practice test. Time your self just for practice... but when you're done, check your score, then go through and do the problems you didn't have time for (it is probably impossible to finish the p-p-i practice test in 8 hours.)

Now, don't get discouraged by your score! use the results to guide you as to which areas you need more work in. and study those for 3-4 weeks.

After five weeks, take the NCEES practice. This test is much more similar to the real thing than the p-p-i version. You can use the results to this test to tell what to study for the next few days.

Thats my suggestion!

Good Luck

If this makes you feel better, I never felt a 100% ready for the exam. Even when I finished the exam, I didn't think my chances were to good, but I passed. As for your options: I think you should probably start studying the area you dominate the most, and then go with the other subjects. If you do the opposite, you won't remember your weaker subjects. So, I will recommend that if you feel ready in Machine Design, you should go with the breadth areas from MERM and do all exercise problems you can from all diferent books. Particularly, I spent most of the time with the NCEES book to become more familiar with the type and the format of the actual exam's problems.

The MERM has a study schedule in it, you might want to check it out. It is on page xvi.

I'd recommend becoming very familiar with the location of information in the MERM, because speed is essential. Also, go through the p-p-i sample question book and work AT LEAST the problems that look like they can be done in 6-10 minutes. Doing them all would be preferabl, but, do what you can.

I think a lot of good cam from me scanning the MERM and marking (starring with a red pen worked for me) important equations and underlining definitions when I was not studying, per se. I'd be atching TV and do this dutring the commercials or the boring parts.

And don't be afraid to tab/write in the book!

Back