What's the best choice?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole12

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly, I failed again FE Exam :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: . I would like to prepare better for next time :p10940623: and what is the best way to do it, to take a course with Test Master (which is pretty expensive) or to buy one of the DVD, which is offered by "the other board" Catalog. Which one do you recomened? I graduated 10 years ago, in Europe and of course, after so long time, my knowledges are not so fresh anymore. At this exam there are a lot a new subjects which I never learned at that time. I worked very hard to prepare for this exam but my schedule is very busy with my daughter and my husband in top of my daily job. I'm looking for a way to absorb a lot in a very short period of time. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunatelly, I failed again FE Exam :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: . I would like to prepare better for next time :p10940623: and what is the best way to do it, to take a course with Test Master (which is pretty expensive) or to buy one of the DVD, which is offered by "the other board" Catalog. Which one do you recomened? I graduated 10 years ago, in Europe and of course, after so long time, my knowledges are not so fresh anymore. At this exam there are a lot a new subjects which I never learned at that time. I worked very hard to prepare for this exam but my schedule is very busy with my daughter and my husband in top of my daily job. I'm looking for a way to absorb a lot in a very short period of time. Any suggestion is welcome.
Thank you!
Not sure if you're taking the exam in April or October... but if you're a Civil it could make a difference considering the Construction area hasn't ever been tested yet and no one knows how the review courses address it. I am a huge fan of Testmasters (I've posted lots of feedback on them so won't repeat it here) and agree they are VERY expensive. But if you consider it may bel tax deductible that's a 30% reduction. At the end, would you pay $1000 to pass the exam? I would (and did!) Not that the free-repeat-if-fail guarantee is a huge selling point, but maybe it helps.

Not sure if you're taking the exam in April or October... but if you're a Civil it could make a difference considering the Construction area hasn't ever been tested yet and no one knows how the review courses address it. I am a huge fan of Testmasters (I've posted lots of feedback on them so won't repeat it here) and agree they are VERY expensive. But if you consider it may bel tax deductible that's a 30% reduction. At the end, would you pay $1000 to pass the exam? I would (and did!) Not that the free-repeat-if-fail guarantee is a huge selling point, but maybe it helps.
She said it was the FE exam, not PE.

Nicole, have you been taking the General module or a discipline specific module. If your discipline is civil or one of the available modules, I would recommend taking that as opposed to the General. Somewhere on here there's a thread about that and based on the passing rates, it looks like people who take their disicipline module have a higher passing rate than those in their discipline who take the General. With the exception of the mechanical folks, who are about break even.

I'm moving this to the ANYTHING ABOUT THE EXAM forum.....

I took the General FE and was very lucky to have passed it on the first try (wish the PE would have went that way)

The reason I did that, was because my background was from all areas, Civil, Industrial, Mechanical. I thought it was my best chance,

other than that, if you're background is in one area, then I agree with Mike in Gastonia above, take your discipline test.

Also, it is obviously not an easy test, so don't get discourged, get motivated, study, and NAIL THAT THING IN APRIL!!!

I took the general FE and thankfully passed the thing in the first attempt. I definitely felt the pinch in the PM section but I did not prepare for the Civil just because I did not have enough time to prepare for the topics in general exam then there was no question of me preparing for a whole new set of subjects..

ok now on to your situation. it depends how comfortable you r with the subjects and by how much you missed this time. was it just the exam thing that did u in or was it the lack of knowledge? may be a combination of both i guess... so next time with extra effort you may be able to improve some of it but will that be enough given that you have a family? i would take testmasters as an investment.. i know it is expensive but it is worth taking it and passing it and get done with this test. you will recover the money soon, but god forbid if u have to take it again then think of the exam fees and preparation time and all that.... additionally, i think there is a changed NCEES reference book for FE starting this April exam (correct me if i m wrong).

advantages of having the testmasters is that you will have a schedule set for you, you can actually concentrate while you are in the classes and you will solve several problems. you will have a streamlined course material that you will be required to focus in the exam. i think with all the constraints that you have it will be a good investment.

finally, whatever choice you make just stick to it and go for it.. you will crack it this time....

Unfortunatelly, I failed again FE Exam :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Could you tell us a little more about the nature of the exam that you took (general vs. specific). Also, do you mind posting your diagnostic scores or at least tell us which subjects that you performed poorly? That will help us direct you to a more efficient method for studying.

While failing an exam never feels good, you are starting at a good point to ultimately succeed. Remember, obtaining your credential is the goal - it doens't matter how you got there. Just that you did!

Best of luck in your preparations!

JR

I took the general section as well, but I was still in my undergrad. It was just easier for me to focus on the general subjects, rather than the general + civil specific subjects. Also I wasn't familiar with quite a few of the civil topics, so that made my choice easy.

For someone who has been working in the field for a while, civil might be easier since you're more likely to have encountered it in the past 10 years.

Thank you for your thoughts :thankyou: and the time to respond to my email, I found your ideas very creative, and gave me the confidence to try again in April :reading: and this time I should be successful with your future help and God's help :holyness: .

In the afternoon I got the lowest percentages :poop: especially at: probabilistics, biology, engineering of materials, fluids and thermo.

Unfortunatelly, my background is not in civil and because of luck of time I have to stick with General.

I'm open for future suggestions which we'll be a great help to me :please: .

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Lindburg (Sp?) study guide and pretty much followed its studying recomendations/schedule (min 2 hrs per night). I passed in April '07 taking the general FE. Plus you can get your $$ for the book refunded if you do not pass.

I thought the questions in the book were much harder than the question on the test.

Thank you all for your emails, I already have all the books you mentioned and I tried the method of working 2 hours per day with not to much success :deadhorse: . In my situation when I have a husband and a child, it is very difficult to study at home :brickwall: .

On the other hand I would like to ask you again what's the best choice between a review course on a DVD (and which one is the best one) or a review course with Test Master. They are pretty expensive but now is not about money is about how to pass the exam. I'm asking you, because I was reading another topic about TestMaster and some guys from here, were very disappointed about teachers and others, very happy. I think is depending on locations. Now, I'm asking who took the course in NY: It was worthing? English is my second language and I'm afraid I won't be able to understand what the teachers says, and I'm very motivated now to pass the exam this time. I'm looking for the best alternative for me.

I appreciate any good advice on this matter.

Thank you!

I passed on my first try and I only used the Lindburg book and the sample exams from NCEES.

First take a practice exam. Find one from an older FE study guide. Use that exam to at least know what you know. Then study each section of the Lindburg book. Work the problems at the end of each section. Once you have completed the Lindburg try its practice exam. Keep taking practice exams until you feel ready. Make sure you use a timer during the practice exam and make sure you have 4 hours to take the practice test.

I studied everything in the Lindburg book except for the advanced stuff like Biology, Industrial Engineering, etc. I studied for the afternoon session using the NCEES material for my discipline (EE). I am 8 years out of college and I think the Lindburg helped me on my weak areas.

King Seso

I passed on my second try and what I did different the second time was that I start studying with the subjects I dominate the most. Then, when the exam date was getting closer I started studying my weak subjects. I did the opposite the first time so when I was in the exam I totally forgot of what I studied about my weak subjects. If you prepare for your weaks subjects later then you'll have them fresh.

In addition to taht you should practice a lot. That's the key! Good luck!

Thank you!

Thank you!
I used the Lindburg rapid prep. study guide. I worked through all chapters and took a practice exam... passed first time. I believe there is a pass guarantee if you follow the study guidelines. The practice test was more difficult than the actual exam as I recall. One thing I do remember was that being well prepared with the math concepts was a huge advantage.

I took the FE about 3 years out of college and failed. My mistake was that I focused too much on theory, and not enough time practicing problems.

Then, I pretty much forgot about it for a few years and started having a family. I re-took the exam 10 years out of college, had a husband and three kids by then, and passed. The second time around I focused on practicing problems.

I only used the EIT Reference Manual to prepare both times I took the exam. The FE exams, back when I took them were ALL problems. I'm guessing it's pretty much the same now. So, it pays off to "know your enemy." Practice, practice problems.

I agree with you about the difficulty on studying when you have a family. I don't know about all the women engineers out there, but I find it hard to let go of certain things (meals, food, etc) before I leave them with dad. I've learned to let go (well, a little) and that it's ok if they dad gets take out every once in a while when I studied; it's ok that dad (and not me) cooks; it's ok that I don't get to the dishes in the evening; it's ok if I don't vacuum as often as I'd like too.

Best of luck! Remember we're all pulling for you!

I can't speak for the FE exam specifically, but I can say that I REALLY liked the CD/DVD study guides that I had! The thing that I liked most about that system was whenever there was something that I didn't understand, I could always stop the CD, back it up, and listen again. That's somewhat hard to do in a classroom setting where the instructor has a certain amount of material he/she needs to cover in the given time.

So if you can find someone that has seen the cd's for the FE, and could give you some insight as to their content, If they're quality material, I would certainly recommend this method.

Plus....this way, if you still don't pass, you STILL have these guides to help you prepare for the next time. Just STICK WITH IT!!! I can tell you all about THAT!

nicole12,

FYI - School of PE has started offering FE review course starting this Spring. I don't think it's too late to sign up for the Springs 08 FE review. Classes seem to start in the middle of February.

Keep at it!

nicole12,
FYI - School of PE has started offering FE review course starting this Spring. I don't think it's too late to sign up for the Springs 08 FE review. Classes seem to start in the middle of February.

Keep at it!
I agree with OceanEngrPE, I took the School of PE review for the PE and made all the difference. If they have a review for the FE I think is worth trying.

Keep it up!

Back