Passing ChE Exam Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy

Is this it?
Reaction score
Here's the advice that I got before taking the ChE exam the 3rd time around. The 1st time I took the exam (and failed with a 66), I studied only the ChE Ref Manual, Practice Problems, and Practice Exams. The 2nd time I took it (and failed with a 69), I studied the same books, plus additional MGI class notes (borrowed them; did not actually take the class). But I followed the advice below and passed the 3rd time around (with a 76). I wish I would of had this advice the first time around...

Here's the advice I got...

some advice

1. dedicate time to studying. I started 4 months prior and laid out a schedule (to suit my wife) where I used one day every weekend (sat or sun, 6-9 hrs) to study. I also spent 2-4 hours 1 night a week to prep

2. Outline of the seven main subjects what you are good at and what you are not; Get exceptional and the topics you feel you know well (mine were mass balances, fluids, heat transfer) so that you can do those problems fast, and then work on improving the other topics (mass transfer for me). When you take the exam, skip the hard topics, and then get the easy topics done AND correct; then come back to topics that you arent so sure about

3. keep track of time during the exam and prepare this way. the exam was a blurr, but I knew at every 30 minute interval, how many problems I had done and how many I needed to have done to get the '6 minute questions' or 10 per hour

4. Simulate exams; a few of my weekend study sessions were spent simulating the test. taking 40 questions from the practice exams and then trying to do them in 4 hours. After that I went back and spent time studying my work versus the actual solution. Figure out how to 'mix it up' so that the blocks you simulate have problems from every topic

5. I made a cross reference and put it in a binder that listed the problem type and what book it was in. If it was say 'heat transfer, NTU method' I could find within 30 seconds where I had a problem like it. Being able to recognize the type of problem you are dealing with is key

here is an email (see below) I got from a very experienced professor I met last fall; he has taught PE prep and U of [name omitted] for 20-30 years. I used his advice when looking for texts.

I bought the kaplan series, Nandagopal, and the NCEES reference for my use. Nandagopal has great problems and better solutions, but I felt I should have spent more time on the NCEES practice exam. the Kaplan text is a somewhat hard read, but has information on every topic and is much better indexed than perry's. Kaplan has a set of 'additional exam problems beyond the two sample exams that can provide with plenty of practice. I didnt even get through all of those, but they were useful reference as I did spend the time to index them

also, if you dont have a crane pump manual - get one. Crane (back in the 40s, 50s) came up with great nomographs, reference tables, easy to read steam tables etc. Its called 'flow of fluids' technical paper 410, 25th printing 1991. this is far easier than doing hand calcs on fluids problems during the exam.

good luck

Here's the email that the above post is referring to:

Mr. [name omitted]:

Glad to help.

The first book would be "Principles and Practice: Chemical Engineering Sample Questions & Solutions

NCEES (2004) You can order from "www.ncees.org" This describes the PE exam in exhaustive detail

and gives a complete PE exam (80 questions) and their solutions.

The NCEES also has an earlier 1999 edition , also with 80 problems and solutions, but about one third

the problems are identical to the more recent 2004 edition.

If you feel in need of a review book to cover all aspects of ChE: I would recommend:

Randall N. Robinson, PE (1996), "Chem Eng Reference Manual for the PE Exam" (5th ed.)

This is out of print but I got it by searching online. There is a 6th edition, but this is written

by a mech eng (Lindeburg) and students in my recent courses unanimously prefer the 5th. So do I.

The problems are the out-of-date, one-hour variety and not the current six-minute type.

The 6th ed is available from "www.ppi2pass.com" as I'm sure they will tell you.

N. S. Nandagopal (2001) "Chemical Engineering Practice PE Problems" is also available

from Professional Publications, Inc. Belmont, CA (order on line "www.ppi2pass.com")

This book gives 2 complete exams (160 problems and their solutions).

Nandagopal is extremely thorough in presenting his solutions; in fact, I do not bother to discuss

his solutions. I just recommend that the candidates try to work these problems.

Marta Vasquez and Robert Zinn (2004) "Six-Minute Solutions for ChE PE Exam Problems"

is also available from ppi2pass. 100 problems and solutions. Many Vasquez and Zinn problems

are far too long for 6 minutes - I can't copy the some of the given solution in 6 minutes!

I believe that there will be a sequel "More Six-Minute Solutions" available very soon.

One bit of advice, if I may be so presumptuous. By all means review the material either from

your old textbooks and/or a review book such as Robinson or the more recent Das and

Prabhudesai (205) "Chemical Engineering License Review" Kaplan "www.kaplanaecengineering.com"

But sooner or later practice working problems under exam conditions. As you study, please

decide which books you are going to take into the exam and where you will find data and graphs.

I hope that the above helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you desire further info.

Best regards and good luck

[name omitted]

Back