4-Timers Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
Still feeling bad about failing the PE exam once again. This was my best performance and my third try. Hoping that this spring will work out. Anybody else out there in the same boat?

:winko:

Last edited by a moderator:
my first two attempts were not even close, my third was very close, and passed on 4th.

STUDY HARD! and be done with it.

DVINNY, P.E. (member of 4th time is a charm crew)

I am a member of the 4-timers club.....with the possibility of 5. You ain't alone, buddy....

And my wife is still going to have our little girl come February...life goes on...you just keep trying, and it will happen.

ktulu

I took it more than 4 times. as ktulu said, "life goes on". It really does! Study hard, stay positive, you'll pass...trust me!

I'll let you know when TN finally gets their scores out. :brickwall: I'm sure you'll understand if I'd rather not join you but I already have a plan in place if I failed. I'm ready to jump back on and keep going.....really not looking forward to it though.

Come on TN!

Still feeling bad about failing the PE exam once again. This was my best performance and my third try. Hoping that this spring will work out. Anybody else out there in the same boat?
:winko:
My 4th time came and went. As has been already stated - Life goes on! The PE helps us earn a living, but the lessons learned during the process is what our lives are made of.

Carpe diem! :p10940623:

I was a 4th time is a charm retaker as well! :)

The PE helps us earn a living, but the lessons learned during the process is what our lives are made of.
Well stated! I felt like I learned A LOT more out of my failures from the PE Exam than my eventual sucess (PASS).

JR

i haven't recieved the official notice/results yet, but i am planning on being there in April.

No notice or results yet for PR (Puerto Rico); maybe its time to think that April 2008 could be my 3rd trial...

Re-examination fee: $355.00 (this really hurts!!)

^^^ Is that for EACH re-take?? Wow .. and I thought FL was bad ... :(
JR

Exactly, that's for first timers and for each re-take: $355 bucks. Very expensive.

This issue will be on fire very soon: why is PR the most expensive jurisdiction to take the PE/EIT exam???

Someone on NCEES or EES must answer this.

Officially logging in for the 4th Timers in April group (club, cult, asylum?). I've decided taking the PE is my new hobby since I don't have time for anything else.

Happy New Year!

Oh, and my company pays our retake fee - thank goodness.

Officially logging in for the 4th Timers in April group (club, cult, asylum?). I've decided taking the PE is my new hobby since I don't have time for anything else.
Happy New Year!

Oh, and my company pays our retake fee - thank goodness.

Well, just keep on trying. I haven't got my results from the SE1 but it was my third time as well. I may be applying to that club.....

4 x's AT LEAST here . . . .

MAYBE i'll take it seriously this Spring and GET THIS CRAP done with!!!

I know how you all are feeling.. Just got my results for the 4th time.. This was definitely my best performance.. Looks like I will be studying for the SE1 yet again for April..

I know how you all are feeling.. Just got my results for the 4th time.. This was definitely my best performance.. Looks like I will be studying for the SE1 yet again for April..
If you're in a state that doesn't require passing the Structural I exam to sign structural drawings, I would advise you to take the Civil exam. I took and failed the S.E. 1 four times. I took the Civil-Structural exam and passed on my 1st try and I don't think I prepared for the Civil exam with any more effort than I prepared for the Structural exam. The morning Civil portion of the exam is EXPONENTIALLY easier than any Structural exam I took and I felt I had passed after the morning portion. The afternoon Structural exam was more on par difficulty-wise with the S.E.1, but the project management questions in the afternoon structural portion constitute several gimmees that you just don't see too often on the S.E.1. I know its a drag t start over and learn a new field, but I really think your efforts are more likely to pay off taking the Civil exam. The Structual exam passing rate is consistently significantly lower than all of the other disciplines because it is a significantly more difficult exam. In my opinion, candidates that pass the S.E.1 deserve a seal with a higher designation than the other disciplines if the bar is going to be set as high as it is on the Structural exam.

If you're in a state that doesn't require passing the Structural I exam to sign structural drawings, I would advise you to take the Civil exam. I took and failed the S.E. 1 four times. I took the Civil-Structural exam and passed on my 1st try and I don't think I prepared for the Civil exam with any more effort than I prepared for the Structural exam. The morning Civil portion of the exam is EXPONENTIALLY easier than any Structural exam I took and I felt I had passed after the morning portion. The afternoon Structural exam was more on par difficulty-wise with the S.E.1, but the project management questions in the afternoon structural portion constitute several gimmees that you just don't see too often on the S.E.1. I know its a drag t start over and learn a new field, but I really think your efforts are more likely to pay off taking the Civil exam. The Structual exam passing rate is consistently significantly lower than all of the other disciplines because it is a significantly more difficult exam. In my opinion, candidates that pass the S.E.1 deserve a seal with a higher designation than the other disciplines if the bar is going to be set as high as it is on the Structural exam.
Thanks for your advice. I have thought about taking the Civil-Structural exam, but like you said I really don't want to start over by studying new topics for the morning portion of the exam. The past two times I took the exam I had to be very close to passing. It is very discouraging. I feel like saying screw it, but then again I have invested too much time and effort just to give up. How much time did you put in for studying for the morning portion of the civil exam? I guess I will either go that route or maybe take a refresher course for the SE1.

Hi all,

I am usually a lurker, but decided to add my 2 cents worth. I passed the October exam on my 5th attempt at it. I was so shocked that I kept looking at the letter to make sure that I wasn't missing something like "Passed.... the spelling of your name portion of the test, but failed the rest. Nice try"

Anyway, I had been close in the past and was sure that I would be taking the exam twice a year for the next 10+ years until I gave up. I have 2 daughters and a very supportive wife, who always believed that I could do it.

I studied for 3 months every night for atleast 2 hours (with only a couple of exceptions) and every weekend for at least 10 hours. Just doing problem after problem. My trouble spots were Geo and Structural, so I gave those subjects more time in first month and then came back to them during the last 2 weeks. I did not take a review course, but did have a lot of study material.

If I can do it on my 5th try, you all can do it as well. Be honest with yourself and put in the time that you need to get through it. Don't allow yourself to get down for too long, think positive and believe.

Anyway, there it is. My sucess story. I just hate to see people get so down on themselves. FWIW I did Transportation my last 3 attempts at the exam after trying Water Resourses 2 times.

Back