PE vs P.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Hello there,

Somebody asked this earlier at the other forum. It is about if should we write PE or P.E. after we pass the test. NCEES says PE is the test itself. P.E. is the right way to call a professional engineer.

So, bottom line; After passing the PE :claps: you would become

John Doe,P.E. :D

;guns; BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!! ;guns;

Have you officially got your licsence, or just passed the test? I have been wondering how I want to handle that. I want make a new resume that says frustrated, P.E. but should I if I haven't officially got my number?

Have you officially got your licsence, or just passed the test? I have been wondering how I want to handle that. I want make a new resume that says frustrated, P.E. but should I if I haven't officially got my number?
Frustrated, P.E.

Licensed Professional Engineer, State of X, June 2006. (License No. Pending)

that work?

I got my letter on Saturday 6/17. All it says was that the process will take 8-10 weeks to become registered.

Today, I checked my state site (Louisiana) and my name and number have been added as a PE (or P.E.). So I guess its official now.

I suppose I can run with that and order a stamp. Also, on resumes, do you put PE after your name at the top?

John Doe, PE

John Doe, P.E.

Or do you not put the PE or P.E. after your name at the top of the resume?

Ed

I seen it on business cards as:

John Doe, P.E.

That's how put on the request for my new business cards and how my email signature is .

Oh how I would like to be able to debate this but as of yet, I do not have results. Anyway my $0.02 is that it is P.E.. In that form it seems more official but at the end of the day a PE is a P.E. no matter how you look at it. And yes, I would broadcast it across the top of your resume. In consulting the P.E. following your name carries as much weight as anything else your resume could hold. Licensure and experience make up about 50/50.

Just thumbed thru some mags. All of the authors use P.E. after there name. Some even had P.E., S.E. If I pass the P.E. I think I will go for the S.E. That would be pretty cool.

I may have posted this before. I had my resume on Monster for about 6 months and only got about 20 views. I added the P.E. after my name (that was the only change) and in two weeks got 80 views and about 15 or 20 emails. And I'm electrical where I didn't think a P.E. was that important. Apparently it is important to some employers. I'm not really looking for a new job, and I wasn't really qualified for most of them, but it was an interesting experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
benbo,

That is very cool! Glad to hear about that "experiment".

I think that even in industry where the P.E. is not needed via industrial exemption, it still says a lot about a candidate who has the license.

Ed

benbo,

One question on that. I'm not familiar with the Monster resume posting service. When you added the "P.E." to your name, I am assuming it was to a field that the recruiters can see prior to even opening or viewing your resume. Is that correct? Otherwise, the increased views would have to be attributed to something else. :dunno:

Did you also add it to your resume itself?

Thanks. I just wanted to understand correctly.

Ed

That's right. They have a keywords section that I think employers and recruiters look to first. I added it to the "keywords" and in the resume. Forgot that important little detail. So probably a lot of the views were from software just looking for those initials. Still, it helps a lot.

Recruiters typically don't know about the specifics of a job but they do know catch prashes such as P.E., or MSME. They look for such items blindly without much regard to anything else prior to taking a canidate to a potential employer. A friend of mine used to work at a recruiting firm and he said he would simply glance at a resume for such things and leave it to the employer to deal with the rest of the resume. The down side to this is that in instances where additional experience or training can be substituted for a title, some recruiters will never give a candidate a look.

no abbreviations for me, I am going to add the full text.."Licensed Registered Professional Engineer" to all my cards whenever I pass, that way you have to flip the card over..

Back